My DS son wants to know-

suzyjack

EEeeewwwwwwwww, That is the most disgusting food in the world :confused:

All slimey.....it coats the mouth.........with a horrible slime.

Yuk, gives me goose bumps just to think about it......

I do think I may have seen is mixed in on the Buffet.......

LoL......it is some sort of cruise deal breaker for the sick little imp.....

OR :) Maybe he's like me and is frightened he might encounter the dreaded non-food and get slimed if its mixed in with other vegies and he misses it.

OR :) Maybe he's like me and is frightened he might encounter the dreaded non-food and get slimed if its mixed in with other vegies and he misses it.

Okra is only slimey if you boil it. It is not slimey when sliced and fried, which we often do this time of year when it's growing like crazy in the garden. And we wouldn't even think of cooking gumbo without some sliced okra. To each his own, lol. Having said all of that, I do not recall having ever seen it served on a cruise ship.

Well speaking of food on the Conquest..I'm boarding her for my first cruise in 3 weeks time and I'm debating eating dinner one night in the Supper Club and I'd like to book it in advance IF I can find out what the main dining room menu selections currently are.

Can anyone help point me to a recent menu?

Actually it is one of his favorites, he eats it like popcorn. And was hoping he might be able to find some on the cruise. I don't know who fixed okra for you, but it is ashame that what you experienced was so bad.

You need to do yourself a favor and give it another try. Just let someone from the South fix it for you.:)

Okra is only slimey if you boil it. It is not slimey when sliced and fried, which we often do this time of year when it's growing like crazy in the garden. And we wouldn't even think of cooking gumbo without some sliced okra. To each his own, lol. Having said all of that, I do not recall having ever seen it served on a cruise ship.

When we lived in Alabama, we grew it every year. I fried, bagged and froze it so we would have some year round. My kids eat it like popcorn.

We don't get it as often since we moved to Texas... the ground is just too hard where we live. So, the kids get excited when we are going somewhere that might have it.

If you boil it with a spoonful of vinegar, it won't be slimy. I love okra cooked any way I can get it. We used to grow our own. No, I've never seen fried okra on any cruise.

I fried some home grown okra (not my home but farmers market) last night. I soak it in buttermilk for about 15 minutes then I coat it with cornmeal, a little flour, salt & cayenne pepper. It was so good.

Back to the question-I have never seen fried okra on a cruise.

On the Glory, the buffet lunch menu was a different cuisine every day. The day they served "American" there was fried chicken. I don't eat the buffet much, so I don't remember what sides went with the chicken, but I think that day will be your best bet to get fried okra.

I did not see any fried Okra on the Conquest last summer nor the Fantasy out of New Orleans this summer. You would think they would provide some "home cookin' " type menu items for people that leave out of the south. They had fried chicken one day on the buffet, but would it have killed them to serve mashed potatoes and gravy with it instead of some sort of fancy mushroom bake thing that was horrible. AND would it kill them to serve some breakfast gravy??? Sorry....my name is Sue and I'm an Okie! LOL

I did not see any fried Okra on the Conquest last summer nor the Fantasy out of New Orleans this summer. You would think they would provide some "home cookin' " type menu items for people that leave out of the south. They had fried chicken one day on the buffet, but would it have killed them to serve mashed potatoes and gravy with it instead of some sort of fancy mushroom bake thing that was horrible. AND would it kill them to serve some breakfast gravy??? Sorry....my name is Sue and I'm an Okie! LOL

We were on Spirit in June and on American day they served the fried chicken. We did have mashed potatoes and gravy. My husband does not put gravy on his potatoes and noted that the potatoes had the very distinct flavor of nutmeg. I tasted and had to agree. I've been a Southern cook for years and have yet to ever put nutmeg on potatoes :confused: On creamed spinach-yes, but potatoes, no way.

We were on Spirit in June and on American day they served the fried chicken. We did have mashed potatoes and gravy. My husband does not put gravy on his potatoes and noted that the potatoes had the very distinct flavor of nutmeg. I tasted and had to agree. I've been a Southern cook for years and have yet to ever put nutmeg on potatoes :confused: On creamed spinach-yes, but potatoes, no way.

I think they should have some american cooks on board to prepare the american meals. Especially breakfast. I do enjoy other types of food also though and they do a fantastic job with burgers, hotdogs and fries I might add!! LOL

They don't have sausage or white gravy for the biscuits?:eek: I may not be able to get my kids on the boat!

I guess when we filled out our fun pass and it asked about special diet needs I should have said yes- "Southern":D

If it is fixed properly, then it is not slimey. Like the others I have yet to see it on a Carnival ship. Now if they could come up with biscuits like Popeye's and a good brown gravy.

Did anyone see on the Travel channel the food show where they showcased the fried bacon? It was six strips of bacon dipped in batter and then fried.

Dave

If it is fixed properly, then it is not slimey. Like the others I have yet to see it on a Carnival ship. Now if they could come up with biscuits like Popeye's and a good brown gravy.

Did anyone see on the Travel channel the food show where they showcased the fried bacon? It was six strips of bacon dipped in batter and then fried.

Dave

OMG my feet are swelling up just thinking about that:D

Hey there, Your not far from me, and I am going to fix fried okra for dinner tonight (southern style) Dinner is at 8:00 PM!:) It really is pretty wonderful stuff if it is cooked right, not slimey at all. Someone once asked me what my favorite food was, and I told them "FRIED"!:D

Fried okra isn't slimey....you are thinking about boiled okra....hot snot if you ask me!

As to the OP, I've never seen it on any cruise.