Red Rose Tea in St. John

cjil

Hello, does anyone know anything about the Red Rose tea co. in St. John? I read that Red Rose was started there and was wondering if there is a factory still there, or if Red Rose is widely available?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Jeanne

Hello, does anyone know anything about the Red Rose tea co. in St. John? I read that Red Rose was started there and was wondering if there is a factory still there, or if Red Rose is widely available?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Jeanne

Red Rose Tea is available in any grocery store. The factory no longer operates although the building still stands and has been converted to offices. "Red Rose" is still written on the side of the building and it is located just behind Market Square, near Long Wharf.

Here is a vintage photo of the Red Rose Tea Building:

http://www.propertyappraisal.ca/images/redrosebg.jpg

It's still there, however renovated with new windows and is now an office building.

I remember driving by it and you could see in the window all the "gauze" on a high-speed machine. Tea used to come into the port in wooden tea crates (like this one: http://mimikirchner.com/blog/images/9:26:teacrate.jpg ) with the sharp nails sticking out of the edges - I'm sure many Saint Johners used to have atleast one in their basement at one point in time or another.

Archived