at what age do you leave the stroller behind?

OnTheBrink

We brought our umbrella stroller mostly for the evening purposes. We found it was very handy to bring a sleeping child from Camp to your Cabin without carrying them a long way or waking them up. Also - any port that is hot and requires extensive walking, it is always a nice option to keep them shaded and cool. Our kids are not able to tolerate the heat at all (from Wyoming!), so the humidity and temperature change wipe them out. Nice to have a secure and safe place for them to sit and not have to worry about an outing being cut short because of a tired kiddo. When not in use, we just put it under the bed.

It really saved us w/DD. We used it in port in Jaimaica and in Cozumel. In Grand Cayman we just used the backpack b/c of the tender. Also used it in the suite for her to sit in, eat, etc......

We have not cruised in a while but I would not think of going without the stroller. My DD will nap in the stroller - therefore I would not be confined to the cabin during nap time. Since she sleeps right after lunch it is nice to sit on the deck and have the stroller (covered with a thin blanket) next to a deck chair. I would also want it for shopping times as she can color (or some other project, or nap) while we shop. Plus she is getting heavy, I do not want to carry her around.

My daughter is well past stroller age, but I'll share a little experience anyway...

When my neice was five, I took her to Orlando for her birthday. She was a 'big girl' and when I asked if she wanted a stroller at the Magic Kingdom, she absolutely refused. My sister thought I was crazy to even ask her. Well, shortly before lunchtime, she asked if it was too late to get one. Within about two seconds of sitting in it, she was passed out. When we got to Seaworld the next day, she didn't hesitate.

Almost a decade later, we took our daughter to Disneyworld when she was five. She didn't want or need a stroller and kept up with us the entire week. She definitely slept well, but was definitely more able to endure the long hours of walking and standing in lines.

So what was the difference? Well, certainly one big one was size... my neice was a little small for her age and my daughter is an Amazon (at five, she was tall enough to ride ALL the rides).

Now to my point... My understanding is that airlines allow strollers without an additional luggage fee, so that's not an issue. If the stroller you want to take is portable and not too cumbersome, then that's not an issue either. If you don't ever need it, great, but if you decide against taking it and your child ends up wiped out like my neice was, you'll wish you had it. :)

That's my two cents... give or take three or four dollars... as usual!! :p

• 4 months later...

Just revisiting this thread.

Can you all help me think through the ports and how/if we'd use the stroller there?

San Juan (don't get there until 3pm)

St Maarten

Labadee

I'm thinking maybe it would be handy in San Juan. I imagine we'll be doing walking around. But - are thing open long? We don't even get there until 3pm (on a Monday, if that matters).

I'm not at all familiar with St Maarten.

Labadee: I can't remember if we took the stroller to Princess Cay. Is it a similar set up?

Just revisiting this thread.

Can you all help me think through the ports and how/if we'd use the stroller there?

San Juan (don't get there until 3pm)

St Maarten

Labadee

I'm thinking maybe it would be handy in San Juan. I imagine we'll be doing walking around. But - are thing open long? We don't even get there until 3pm (on a Monday, if that matters).

I'm not at all familiar with St Maarten.

Labadee: I can't remember if we took the stroller to Princess Cay. Is it a similar set up?

I have not cruised with kids for a while but will be in May. I would say San Juan is probably the place where you would most need a stroller. DH and I went a couple of years ago and we loved walking around old San Juan, there is so much there to see and a little one would get tired walking. But, it really depends on what you want to do, we probably would not have done as much walking if our kids had been with us.

St. Martin we have always just gone to the beach so not much need for a stroller ther, but again it will depend what you want to do. I have already told dh we have to do something besides Orient Beach on the next cruise, I'm not taking my kids there :eek:

I have not been to Labadee so I can't say anything about that.

My ds will be almost 4 on our next cruise and the only place I think a stroller comes in really handy is the airport. It is nice to be able to put him in there an be able to put our stuff in the stroller too. Especially since we will probably be carrying a car seat around (we are still undecided on bringing the car seat tool)

Archived