Distance from airport to Galveston Pier

BarbGar

Can anyone tell me the distance (miles/time) from either Houston Internation (IAH) or Hobby Airport (HOU) to the Galveston Pier; and what means of transportation is there to and from?

Thanks.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;03;19;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

3/19/04 Galaxy

It is probably about 40 miles from Hobby to Galveston. IAH is across Houston from Galveston, probably twice the distance. If you are going in the day of the cruise, I would ask the cruise line about their transfers; otherwise, you would probably have to take a taxi.

Have you looked at www.portofgalveston.com

According to Frommer's Caribbean Cruises 2004, United Cab (713-699-0000) charges $75 per carload from Hobby and $119 from Bush to Glaveston.

From Galveston to the airports, rates are just about the same from Busy Bee (409-762-6666) or Yellow Cab (409-763-3333). Or try Galveston Limo at 800-640-4826 around 30 and 35 pp each way Hobby and Bush, or round trip at 50 and 60. Call to reserve.

From the same source, Hobby is 31 miles and 45 minutes to Galveston and Bush is 54 miles and 80 minutes. Those are probably ideal conditions. I would allow more time.

We took the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston about a year ago. Flew into Hobby on Southwest from Burbank and then took the Galveston Shuttle:

For Information on service from IAH to Galveston check with the ground transportation counter at the terminals also:

Galveston Limousine

409-740-5466

Toll free: 800-640-4826

http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com

It worked very well for us. Just in case you're interested in going a day or so ahead, Galveston is an interesting city with a fascinating history. Be sure to visit the museum at the pier about the great hurricane of 1906, and the ensuing flood. If I were going again, I'd stay at the Galvez Hotel, an historic place, itself, in the manner of grand old hotels. Additionally, the street car from downtown goes right past the Galvez.

Have a great cruise, icon_cool.gif

Charlotte

Upcoming Cruises:

Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand, January 2004;

Star Princess, Greek Isles, September 2004;

Infinity, Panama Canal & west coast, South America, January 2005.

Archived