Handicap Facilities on the Dawn

Catmjs

My mother fractured her hip this past week and will be heading to a rehab facility this week. My dad and her are scheduled to cruise the end of September on the Dawn to New England and Canada. She will just be getting out of rehab and I was wondering what type of handicap rooms and facilities are available on the Dawn?

Thanks

Sandy:confused:

My mother fractured her hip this past week and will be heading to a rehab facility this week. My dad and her are scheduled to cruise the end of September on the Dawn to New England and Canada. She will just be getting out of rehab and I was wondering what type of handicap rooms and facilities are available on the Dawn?

Thanks

We sailed on the Dawn last month & booked a handicap room for my grandparents. My grandmother is in a wheelchair most of the time. They were in room 9706, which was a wonderful room. It was very spacious, with grab bars in the bathroom. We didn't have any difficulties navigating the wheelchair around the ship.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your mothers injury.

You should contact NCL or your TA if you booked with one, IMMEDIATELY to see if your parents can get into an HC cabin. There are a few onboard but not many and you may find they are already booked. NCL or the TA should be able to make the cabin change as long as the HC is open or if the people currently assigned that cabin are willing to move. Sometimes people wind up in HC cabins who don't have the need for one.

Good luck.

If you are able to get into a handicap cabin, you should also immediately try to get a power chair. NCL ONLY will allow this company to provide mobility equipment: CareVacation, 1-877-478-7827 Prices range from around $345 to $425 for a 10 day cruise (less for a shorter one). They'll bring the equipment (scooter, power chair, whatever you choose) right to the cabin and have it all set up, and then you just leave it there and they'll come take it away.

I hope your father got cruise cancellation insurance, in case your mother's doctor says she isn't able to travel!!

In March we were on the Dawn with one in our group in a regular wheel chair. She could not get a handicap room and NCL would not allow her scooter in a regular room. She was able to walk, so getting in / out of the bathroom and cabin were not a problem.

However, we found that to move around the ship that we needed two people to accompany her. The elevators open / close quickly and without one person to hold the door while the other helps move the chaire, we could not use the elevators. Very few guests seemed to be helpful with the elevators. Also, going out doors on the promenade deck, there are thresholds about 3" high that have to be crossed, although there are partial ramps.

The wheelchair entrance to the main dinning room is one deck lower and only accessible from the elevators that are right outside the main entrance.

The wheelchair entrance to the main dinning room is one deck lower and only accessible from the elevators that are right outside the main entrance.

When facing the elevator, only the one on the far right goes to the next level down to the dining room.

coka

Archived