Animal Encounter Dive at Sea Aquarium

LadyCruiser0906

We're going to Curacao for the first time and we're thinking about booking the Animal Encounter Dive at the Curacao Sea Aquarium. Just wanted to know if anyone could give us some information about the dive and let us know if it's worth it or if we should do something else on our visit. Also wanted to know if the aquarium lets you bring your own water camera and if anyone has had any trouble booking from the aquarium's website.

Thanks for the help!!

• 2 weeks later...
When are you going, as we will be there at the beginning of Nov. and looking for information from someone who had been there. Amy Sclevin@aol.com

Hi slyfox,

We are on the same cruise as you on the Jewel on 10/28 (and on the same roll call). We looked into the Seaquarium Animal Encounter as well and contacted them by email. Unfortunately, they are not running the Animal Encounter when we are there, but the Park is open. They said that the Animal Encounters Lagoon has to undergo its annual maintenance at that time. Also they said that the Sea Lion Encounter does not operate on Mondays which is when we are there. Have not decided if we will just visit the Park without an Encounter before heading to a beach.

Harry

If you have never been to an aquarium, you may not mind seeing this one......but if you HAVE been to any other aquarium, this one will disappoint you! Our experience was nothing I would ever recommend to anyone! The displays are small, dark, and not well maintained. The staff we encountered ignored the guests, and were rude when asked a question.

We went there thinking we would see the aquarium, then go to the beach that their website mentions.....when we asked staff how to get to the beach, we were rudely told "NO BEACH". When I tried to explain that their website mentions a beach, they told me loudly "NO BEACH". I felt like I was talking to the "soup ****" on Seinfeld!!

We really wish we had not wasted our time and money on this place

If you have never been to an aquarium, you may not mind seeing this one......but if you HAVE been to any other aquarium, this one will disappoint you! Our experience was nothing I would ever recommend to anyone! The displays are small, dark, and not well maintained. The staff we encountered ignored the guests, and were rude when asked a question.

We went there thinking we would see the aquarium, then go to the beach that their website mentions.....when we asked staff how to get to the beach, we were rudely told "NO BEACH". When I tried to explain that their website mentions a beach, they told me loudly "NO BEACH". I felt like I was talking to the "soup ****" on Seinfeld!!

We really wish we had not wasted our time and money on this place

Thanks for the info. When were you there? Did they have any shows with sea lions, dolphins,etc.?

From what Ihave read and heard the Seaquarium beach is separate from the Aquarium and on the other side of the parking lot. Did you end up going to a different beach? When we wre in Curacao last time, we went to the beach at Porto Mari and loved it.

We were there in March 2007. We missed all but the last few minutes of the dolphin show. What we saw was good, though. I think the programs they have in the outdoor pools are pretty good....it's just the aquarium itself that is NOT good.

As for the beach....we ended up just going back to the ship since we couldn't get anyone to tell us how to get to the beach we wanted! Had they told us we needed to go to the other end of the main parking lot, we would have gladly walked there. They just refused to give us that little tid-bit of information!

We were there in March 2007. We missed all but the last few minutes of the dolphin show. What we saw was good, though. I think the programs they have in the outdoor pools are pretty good....it's just the aquarium itself that is NOT good.

As for the beach....we ended up just going back to the ship since we couldn't get anyone to tell us how to get to the beach we wanted! Had they told us we needed to go to the other end of the main parking lot, we would have gladly walked there. They just refused to give us that little tid-bit of information!

Hi Darlene,

Thanks again for the info. I visited their website and it is very disorganized. Did they have any other shows besides the dolphin show, like sea lions, etc.? I assume you do not have to do a Dolphin or Sea Lion Encounter to see these shows? Also, our son loves turtles --- were there any sea turtles?

Thanks,

Harry

Harry: Thanks for the information. When we contacted them, there was no indication that they would be closed. Now I can at least change our plans. Will look for you on our MOB posting. Thanks, Seth

Seth,

Here is a copy of the emails I sent and their response:

Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 2:24 PM

To: info@curacao-sea-aquarium.com

Subject: Animal and Sea Lion Encounters

Hi,

We will be in Curacao on Monday, November 3, 2008 and we are interested in either the Sea Lion Encounter or the Animal Encounter Snorkel, as listed on your website.

I have some questions that I could not find answers to on your website:

1. What times of the day are these two Encounters given?

2. How long do they last?

3. Does the cost of the Animal Encounter Snorkel or the Sea Lion Encounter include the entrance cost to the other Seaquarium exhibits?

I did not see a detailed description of the Sea Lion Encounter on your website. Could you describe this for me in detail?.....Do we go in the water with the sea lions or do we interact outside the water?

Thank you.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:35 AM

Subject: RE: Animal and Sea Lion Encounters

Dear Harry,

Thank you for your interest in having a program at the Curacao Sea Aquarium/ Animal Encounters.

Tthe Animal Encounters activities are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

The unforeseen circumstances are that the Animal Encounters Lagoon has to undergo its annual maintenance.

And as it is also off season, the management has decided to start the maintenance now so that we’ll be finish in time for the high season.

Our apologies for the inconvenience,

I can offer you the Sea lion snorkel which is a one hour program, under supervision of the sea lion trainer

the quest will proceed to interact with the sea lion through touching, wading and even swimming with the animal.

for this program you need to be a swimmer. (We provide life jacket)

The cost of the Sea lion snorkel is $69.00. Sea lion Snorkel is from Tuesday to Sunday at 14.30 pm.

We have the Sea lion Encounter which is a 30 minutes program it is a land program,

you are not going in the water you stay on land only

General training techniques will be explained and the quest will have

the opportunity to do some basic behaviors with the animal and it concludes

with the quest to have the opportunity to touch and even be kissed by the Sea lion.

The cost of the Sea lion Encounter is $39.00.

The Sea lion Encounter program is at 9.00 am Tuesday to Sunday.

On Mondays there are no sea lion activities.

All Sea aquarium activities included entrance to the park.

The Sea aquariumBeach admission is separate from the Sea aquarium admission.

Regards,

Inid Gumbs

Animal Encounter Reservation Department

Phone (+5999) 465 6940

Fax (+5999) 465 6940

E-mail aeruser@curacao-sea-aquarium.com

www www.curacao-sea-aquarium.com

• 1 month later...

About 2 years ago my family did the animal encounter in their enclosed tank. We had a wonderful time- my kids were 5, 9 and 11 and had no trouble swimming in the water. There was no real time limit in the tank, we just swam around and fed the sharks and sea turtles.

After the swim we walked around the aquarium and then walked over to the beach for the afternoon. I think we paid admission to the beach- but it was not much. Food/drinks were very expensive, so be prepared to pay $3 for a small dixie cup of soda.

Overall a great excursion with my family

A few years ago we did the scuba "dive" and enjoyed it. You are in a small fenced in area that is about 15 feet deep. You are given a small container of food and "dive" down to feed stingrays. Then they let you float over to feed the turtles and sharks that are encased behind a plexiglass area. There are several 3 inch holes that you hold the food up to and the turtles and sharks come up to the openings and take the food from your hand. It is fun but then I also have pity on these poor creatures that are in captivity and now have to "beg" for food. I agree that the rest of the aquarium isn't worth the trip - or wasn't when we were there. I don't know about any other shows there. While waiting for our transportation, we walked over to the beach area but I can't remember anything about it.

We're going back to Curacao in December. Did they say how long the maintenance will be?

I just copied this from the HAL shore excursion list:

You will be picked up at the dockside by local authorized taxis. From there you will be driven to the Curagao Sea Aquarium Park. At the Sea Aquarium a guide will bring you to the Animal Encounters sign up desk, where all waivers will be filled out. After a diving and feeding briefing you will go for approximately 30-45 minutes underwater with our Certified PADI Instructors. A safe and exciting underwater adventure for non-divers or experience divers in just 12 feet of water. This is the dive of your life! Feel the thrill of hand feeding sharks, turtles, stingrays and beautiful Caribbean fish. Not to worry though, safety comes first at the Curacao Sea Aquarium. Sharks and turtles are fed through holes in fitted Plexiglas windows. Our PADI certified instructors lead you step by step through all the phases of this unforgettable adventure. So even if you have never been diving in your live you can join this unforgettable adventure. After the dive there is time to see the pictures from your dive. Then there will be time to visit the aquariums. At the end of their activity the local authorized taxis will bring you back to the cruise ship

Archived