St John HELP

KEIA

I could really use your guy's help...Please bear with me here...

Here is the basic information...We'll be in St. Thomas on Saturday, February 21st, 2009. My husband and I have been to St. Thomas 3 times and would love to go and see Trunk Bay. We have 10 other friends joining us, and have never done St. Johns on our own, but from what I'm reading, it looks very doable to do it on our own. (We will be in port from 7AM-5PM) I've been using the basis ferry schedule found online and this webpage:

http://stjohnlinks.com/map.htm

Here's where I could use your help in interpreting some information...I see on the ferry schedule that I can catch a ferry to/from Cruz Bay/Red Hook every hour or so after 8AM.

We would like to shop in Charlotte Amalie after Trunk Bay. One webpage says Cruz Bay to Charlotte Amalie leaves at 11:15 AM and 2:15 PM and the other webpage says 11:15, 1:15, and 2:15...Which one is correct?

Would it just be better to go back to Red Hook before going to Charlotte Amalie for shopping since I know I can catch a ferry every hour and get there around noon?or is it more cost effective to go straight to Charlotte Amalie?

The way I'm reading this information, if we want to shop right after Trunk Bay, we can't get to CA anytime between 11:15 AM and 1:15 (possibly even 2:15) Is this correct??

Please help me out here...We want to be on the beach for 2-3 hours, then spend the afternoon in downtown CA and eat a late lunch and shop until 4PM or so...How do I do this??

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH in advance!!!

Red Hook is the way to go. But, remember on your return to take consideration the time of day. Red Hook and the surrounding area can get very crowded with traffic in the early afternoon (around 3-3:30). Allow plenty of time back to your ship. Do not figure it will be the same as when you departed.

You may want to consider going back on the ferry to CA instead.

Hope this helps.

The ferry times from Cruz Bay to Charlotte Amalie have changed and there are fewer trips. The times you posted are no longer valid. The Red Hook ferry is your best bet as it still runs on the hour during the day. It is all up for change at any time so check once you are on the Island.

B.

The ferry information you are looking at has changed, rates and in particular the CA trips. The STJ-CA ferry is currently running on an off-season shortened schedule. They should be back to their regular schedule for season, but you should check back in say late November, early December to make sure and check again just before your trip. You can try to pull up another schedule to see the changes, try http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=virgin+islands+ferry+schedule&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8. The Red Hook ferry should be $6.10 per adult, one way and look for a note about the shortened schedule.

If you want to shop in Charlotte Amalie after returning from St. John then yes taking the CA ferry is a good idea (again have to check the schedule to make sure it’s running). The 11:15, 1:15, and 2:15 is correct, but none of those are running right now.

In terms of cost getting back..

RH Ferry - $6.10 pp, ow.

Taxi from RH to CA - $10 pp, ow.

CA Ferry - $11.10 pp, ow.

You mentioned being in port from 7-5. Not sure what time you'd get off the ship and on your way. But let’s say you can make it to the 9am ferry from RH to STJ. You'd get to STJ around 9:15am, taxi to Trunk Bay takes about 12-15 minutes. Spend 2-3 hours, catching a ferry back either at 12 or 1 to Red Hook or 1:15 to CA (if its running). Charlotte Amalie ferry takes about 40-45 minutes. Red Hook ferry takes 15 minutes and drive to Charlotte Amalie about 25-30 minutes in low/medium traffic, with traffic longer (traffic is affected by number of ships in port). Spend some time downtown and then catch a taxi back to the ship, $4 pp, ow to Havensight; it’s about 1.4 miles should you want to walk it. Takes about 8 minutes in little traffic, but if there are several ships in port there will be traffic going back to the ship around 4pm when lots of other cruise folks are also heading back. So check the ferry schedules again, check the cruise ship schedule so you have an idea of number of ships/potential traffic and hope the other information helps you plan your day. Enjoy.

--Islander

Thank you guys for the information!! I'll be sure to check back in December to see if that 1:15 PM ferry will be running...that's the one we would want to catch. Otherwise, we'll just go back to Red Hook and take a taxi.

Couple more questions...(if you don't mind)

1. What's the FASTEST way to CA from Trunk Bay? (Take the CA ferry from Cruz Bay or go back to Red Hook and take a taxi)

2. Is it worth just taking the cruise excursion to Trunk Bay? Is an hour and half long enough for your first time to Trunk Bay? Plus, I LOVE BEACHES!!

Thanks again for helping me make my day at St. Thomas AWESOME!!!

Thank you guys for the information!! I'll be sure to check back in December to see if that 1:15 PM ferry will be running...that's the one we would want to catch. Otherwise, we'll just go back to Red Hook and take a taxi.

Couple more questions...(if you don't mind)

1. What's the FASTEST way to CA from Trunk Bay? (Take the CA ferry from Cruz Bay or go back to Red Hook and take a taxi)

2. Is it worth just taking the cruise excursion to Trunk Bay? Is an hour and half long enough for your first time to Trunk Bay? Plus, I LOVE BEACHES!!

Thanks again for helping me make my day at St. Thomas AWESOME!!!

The time to it takes to get to St. John works out to be the roughly same regardless of which ferry you take:

The CA ferry ride takes about 45 minutes.

The cab ride from Havensight to Red Hook is about 20-25 minutes, and the ferry ride to St. John is about 10-15 minutes.

Archived