A couple of questions for the seasoned.

Thanks for the info about USAA insurance. I contacted them and it's $181 for our cruise, but that includes cancellation for leave being revoked. That is very important to me. Especially with the schedule they have right now. It seems that every marine on base is either getting ready to come home, getting ready to go, or just left. I've never seen a deployment schedule the way it's been the past few years.

That is why it is so important that we take these vacations and make the personal time quality time.;)

I would guess for 181 you either have more than just you and your husband, or it's a rather pricey cruise. Our cruise is just under 2000 and our insurance is 79 for the 2 of us, Carnival wanted 129 EACH and no military leave clause. Between the military discount and what we saved on insurance, we saved 560 bucks!

Carnival won't refund for leave issues

Our PVP told us that if active duty personel were not able to take their cruise because leave was cancelled or not approved, that Carnival would change the reservation or give a crdit to be used at a later date. You are right, no refund will be given after final payment is made. We asked because my son is active duty now and is booked to cruise with us next May. He just returned from Iraq and could go back next July, however, they might send him to a bast for deployment preparation in May or June. Needless to say, we are concerned.

Marinewifeandproud and crzycick:

My husband is also retired (finally) military (Army:eek: ). When he came home from Iraq in late 2006, we cruised on the Legend, 3 weeks after his return. Go for the insurance, it is worth the peace of mind. We bought our independently as well and save a lot. We used insuremytrip.com - they offer you a wide choice of different companies you can insure through.

Not knowing your husbands jobs or missions, I can only share our experience with Iraq. It was very different from any of his previous long-term active-combat deployments. I am not sure if it was his age (older:rolleyes: ) or this mission. He commanded nearly 300 route clearance patrols, so he was out beyond the wire much of the 14 months he was gone. Some of those times got really ugly. He came home highly decorated - but most lasting is the bad case of PTSD he brought home.

I share this only to remind you of what you surely already know. Some of the noises, situations and crowds on the ship may lessen the enjoyment of the long-awaited reunion and vacation. Also, I could not have gotten him in his uniform for no amount of money. In fact, he bought a tux before we went, as to make sure he didn't have to wear it. He did not take t-shirts or anything else that would have called attention to his recent service. He was still very much decompressing from deployment and did not want to discuss it with strangers. On the other hand, he did talk to me, so the time alone was very important and valueable.

As I said, you know all of this. Just let him call the shots on what he feels like doing on the cruise. (Trust me, I know how tough that is :D as you will still be in the solo decision-maker mode.) Hopefully, your husbands returns will be like the ones my husband had always had before - smooth sailing (pun intended)!

Most of all - have fun! You ALL have earned it!

Thank you for your response, but we got very lucky with my husband's deployment. Rather, I got lucky, he was bummed out. My husband is the admin and legal chief for his unit at Al Asad, pretty safe base as far as deployments are concerned. He is never allowed off the base and where his location is, the whole base would have to go down for anything to happen to him. It has made the deployment so much easier for me not having to worry about him, I just miss him a heck of a lot. As far as his uniform, he gets uncomfortable when people thank him for his service or make a fuss over him, he doesn't feel he's doing anything to deserve it. I honestly assumed he would never wear his uniform, but he agreed, I think to save from having to buy formal wear, lol. Plus we will be missing the annual ball where he would have had to wear his blues anyways

Archived