I need to lose by April... would anyone like to join me?

CountriCruiser

I am new here and have quite a bit of weight to lose by April when I take my first cruise. I am 36 and would love to have one or many join me so that we could correspond back n forth and support each other. My plan is to drink lots of water, cut out soda, walk in my neighborhood 4x a week, 50 crunches every morning to start (will add more as I go), use my total gym every other day to build some muscle tone, low carbs - no bread, white rice, potatoes, etc. Would love to have more information on what works for other people and try to incorporate it in my own plan. My cruise is my motivation along with wanting to be healthier and just feel better in general. I quit smoking "cold turkey" almost two years ago and that has helped quite a bit, although I did gain about 20 lbs. I very much want this to be a total life style change so that I never gain the weight back. Would anyone like to join me?

Hi and welcome! Don't worry....you're not being ignorant. I had these questions also when I joined Cruise Critic. Here's the breakdown for you:

DW = Dear Wife

DH = Dear Husband

WOE = Way of Eating (we prefer not to call it a diet ;) )

ITA = I Totally Agree

IMO = In My Opinion

If there are others I didn't cover, post them and I'll try to answer.

Also, we have a thread on here "Looking for April Challenge Buddies" so why don't you join that one? Or the "Countdown" thread. You will get lots of support on either...or join both like I did. :)

My WOE is South Beach and I workout 5-6 times a week doing cardio and strength training. I turned 40 yesterday and I started this new way of life when I was 37. It has taken that long to lose a little over 50 lbs and keep it off. It is constant work. I need to lose about 20-25 more. Your plan sounds great. If you keep it up, you'll do fine. How much are you trying to lose?

I have been wondering the same things! So since I'm not the only one wondering, I did a little research. "DH" or "DW" means "dear husband" or "dear wife". Initially I thought the "D" stood for "domestic" which sounds strange to refer to your S/O (significant other) as your domestic partner. Dear Husband sounds much nicer!

WOE has me stumped though. Anyone else know?

My DH and I are taking our second cruise together next May (Mediterranean) on Royal Caribbean! I'd love to lose about 20 pounds -- but I know myself all to well! With the holidays right around the corner... Listen, we just celebrated a coworkers birthday and I had TWO pieces of pie! Not to mention the bagel and cream cheese I had this morning. I have tried to give up the pasta, bread, sugar, etc. The best I can do is cut back. I'm the type of person that if I deprive myself of everything I love, I will fall off the wagon HARD!

Good luck with your goal! Sounds as if you have a good plan and getting support from other cruisers is a great idea.

Tysm Eyes and Ina...

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I would like to lose 70lbs total, however I am being very realistic and not trying to lose it all by my cruise. WE I will take your advice and join the Countdown Club. How do you like the Southbeach way?

I also do southbeach and love it, although the main difference between it and atkins that I have found is in phase one. Atkins doesn't allow beans which are a staple in my house. All the media junk about all the steak and bacon you want on atkins are just that...media hype.

I lost 30 pounds last spring on SB and have 60 more to lose. I gained and lost the same 5 pounds all summer (bad words removed here!) Exercise is my hardest thing in summer. I dont' like heat. I iceskate once a week and am trying to run 3 times a week and build up to 3 miles at a time. Last winter I was working out nearly every day, but lost momentum with our cruise and vacation. I'm wanting to get back into that mode of every day again by Christmas. Strength training is the hardest for me because I think it's boring.

Tami

Thought that I should point out that DH or DW refers to "dear" husband and "dear" wife on the good days.....on the bad days you can fill in the "d" as you see fit! :D

Welcome to this site. It is great and very supportive. I do a modified South Beach. I am too old and to inactive (interpret too slow a metabolism) not to count calories as well as watch bad carbs. I also think you are smart to work out a plan that works for you. I think it is the individual tweeking that makes a WOE successful for each of us individually.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I would like to lose 70lbs total, however I am being very realistic and not trying to lose it all by my cruise.

I am doing the Atkins WOE. I lost 50 pounds the first five months and 70 pounds the first year. I started 1/1/03 and have lost another ten pounds this year. I am to the point where I just stay away from the "whites," rice, flour, potatoes & SUGAR. While I alowe myself a potato once or twice a month, this is my favorite food, I still don't eat anything with white flour or sugar.

Good luck with your new WOE!

Archived