Liqour Store on Pier?

Ashpalo

Is there a liquor store on the pier in Progresso? I have a couple of specialty liqueurs that I want to get in Progresso, but since we are doing the Carnival sponsored Chichen Itza tour I know that I won't have time to go shopping anywhere other then the pier.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ashley :-)

Hi Ashley,

Just noticed you are from Austin. We'll be getting on the ship as you are getting off. Have a great trip :)

We'll try not to trash it too bad before you get on. :D

Thanks for the info on the Duty Free shop. I know that they have several little shops and the one big one (Cinco Los Soles maybe?), but I couldn't remember whether or not one of the stores sold liquor.

Thanks again!

We'll try not to trash it too bad before you get on. :D

Thanks for the info on the Duty Free shop. I know that they have several little shops and the one big one (Cinco Los Soles maybe?), but I couldn't remember whether or not one of the stores sold liquor.

Thanks again!

Actually the name of the duty free shop is Los Cinco Soles, is the big one at the pier. You will find several brands and kind of liquors just get the information on board about how many bottles per person can you buy (customs issues).

I would not expect the selection or the pricing that is found on the eastern Caribbean such as St Thomas or St Maarten. Known for excellent shopping. Also, for those that haven't done the eastern, I find the islands much, much prettier than the western.

Steelwool. After two portcalls to Progreso and then three two week vacations exploring Merida, Progreso and the Yucatan state, absolutely not. Eastern and western are different. It sounds like the OP might be looking for an uncommon liquor and other than tiquila, I have not seen large international assortments such as on St Thomas. St John, USVI is probably the prettiest island I've seen. Thanks to John D Rockerfeller, two thirds of the island is national park and near pristine. Antigua may be number two with me. The forts in San Juan offer fantastic photo ops. The eastern islands have more topograhy, rather than being flat. I am passed being impressed with Cancun or Cozumel. Been to Cozumel about 8 or 9 times. Soooo commercialized, so I rent a jeep and head out on my own. As for the "port area" of Costa Maya, I've never seen more contrived phoneyness anywhere.

Can't wait till I return to the Yucatan.

There is a store in Progreso called Covi's that sells a large assortment of booze. It is on Calle 27 between 78 and 76. It is on the corner. You may be able to find what your looking for there. Also there is a Walmart store at They also have assortment of booze. Good luck

Steelwool. After two portcalls to Progreso and then three two week vacations exploring Merida, Progreso and the Yucatan state, absolutely not. Eastern and western are different. It sounds like the OP might be looking for an uncommon liquor and other than tiquila, I have not seen large international assortments such as on St Thomas. St John, USVI is probably the prettiest island I've seen. Thanks to John D Rockerfeller, two thirds of the island is national park and near pristine. Antigua may be number two with me. The forts in San Juan offer fantastic photo ops. The eastern islands have more topograhy, rather than being flat. I am passed being impressed with Cancun or Cozumel. Been to Cozumel about 8 or 9 times. Soooo commercialized, so I rent a jeep and head out on my own. As for the "port area" of Costa Maya, I've never seen more contrived phoneyness anywhere.

Can't wait till I return to the Yucatan.

The two liqueurs that I am looking for are Kalani and Xtabentun - both made in the Yucatan. Hopefully, since they are local specialities, they should be at the store on the pier (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Ash,

Be sure to check the "rules" for Texas. You know they limit us to how many you can get - and I don't think you can just pay the additional duty - I think it's a number and that's it. Of course, you will have all your "new" friends that might be able to help you out if you go over the limit. :D

Ash,

Be sure to check the "rules" for Texas. You know they limit us to how many you can get - and I don't think you can just pay the additional duty - I think it's a number and that's it. Of course, you will have all your "new" friends that might be able to help you out if you go over the limit. :D

Last year I brought 2 back and no one said anything. That's all I'm planning to get this year. My roommate brought back 5 bottles and they didn't say a thing to her either - or make her pay the duty. I guess it's the luck of the draw on who checks you through.

I'm not too worried because my mom and grandmother probably aren't planning to buy anything - so I've got 2 more adults to "use".

I'm so ready to get on that ship!!!!

Now my curiosity is up! can you tell me exactly what types of liqour Kalani and Xtabentun are? I am going with my Mom in December and it would be a nice gift to bring back to my husband if I think it is something he'll enjoy. Are they tequillas or ??? Obviously you enjoyed them, so thanks for any info. Have a great trip!

SantaCruzer

Now my curiosity is up! can you tell me exactly what types of liqour Kalani and Xtabentun are? I am going with my Mom in December and it would be a nice gift to bring back to my husband if I think it is something he'll enjoy. Are they tequillas or ??? Obviously you enjoyed them, so thanks for any info. Have a great trip!

SantaCruzer

Xtabentun is made from fermented honey, a special one from Xtabentum flowers, also has some anise. Great digestive

Kalani is made from the coconut flesh. Excelente appetizer

• 1 month later...

Archived