Is there something special for Christmas or New Year?

oavcech95

The only Xmas cruise I was on they had carols in the artium area - it was very neat - people lined the atrium area all the way up (5-6 levels) and sang along. It's been a while, but I don't really remember anything else.

Lot's of folks decorated their cabin doors with the holiday theme.

We actually took a small (8" high) tree and set it up - that was nice too.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Do they have something inside the ship (atrium or or some other large area) where there is live entertainment and than at midnight confetti and balloons fall from the ceiling?

I saw a video of the Caribbean Princess on NYE and they did this. Since that's a different line, I'm just wondering if X does the same.

The only Xmas cruise I was on they had carols in the artium area - it was very neat - people lined the atrium area all the way up (5-6 levels) and sang along. It's been a while, but I don't really remember anything else.

Lot's of folks decorated their cabin doors with the holiday theme.

We actually took a small (8" high) tree and set it up - that was nice too.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Oh, but theres like a special christmas evening?

I was on the Summit this last Christmas and New Years.

Everything for Christmas was very low keyed. They did

have Santa for the children. They had singing in the

Rendez-Vous Lounge (packed like a sardine can).

Menu was nothing special for Christmas or New years.

New Years Eve at dinner we were to get hats, but all

we got was blow outs to blow at New Years NO HATS.

We asked why no hats, first they said they ran out

then they said they could not find them. WHAT!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

They had Champagne at the deck party and music that

is all.

We were very surpised for the cost of a Holiday cruise

that it was not a WOW. I blame it on cut backs. The

costs to do what they use to do has gone up a great deal.

Whenever I asked why they did not have this or that what-

ever, they would always say cut backs. That is very sad.

I did complain in my comments so maybe it will be better

this year for all of you holiday cruisers on the Summit.:)

Just enjoy and have fun no cruise is perfect.

One other note, I did bring along Holiday thank you cards

and put cash in them for various crew including the cabin

staff. They were so Happy. They love cash and they work so very hard to please. Happy Holidays to you all.

I would agree - very low key at Christmas. I was surprised myself - I expected some hupla - but not much except the carols.

I think the menu (way back then) was turkey, stuffing, etc. I don't remember a Santa - but I also might not have paid attention.

I remember this was one of my first 'warm' holidays in a long time - and I did miss the cooler weather of upstate NY. Of course, now I live in Florida - so I'd really enjoy a 'cold' holiday again! Guess in general - we want the opposite of what we have!

Hope you enjoy the holiday cruise!!

I always cruise at Christmas with Celebrity

Ship is decorated throughout,carols on Christmas eve,turkey dinner Christmas day,well attended midnight mass,special Christmas themed midnight buffet, Christmas music all week in breakfast and lunch buffets, Santa Claus movies in the cinema all day,Santa arrives ,parades around the ship then stops to distribute gifts and pose for lap photos on the staircase,small children got stockings in the stateroom after dinner on Christmas eve.Not much else...no live reindeer or snow.

For New Years a big deck party.

Wasn't that where Pam and Kathy learned to "peel the banana" ?

On the Galaxy on Jan 1 05 they had a great deck party, it was formal night, everyone was dressed up. They had performance of cirque de soliel type acrobats on a wire above the pool deck. Music and dancing all night long. Great fun.

Rich

Thanks for all the info. it was very helpfull, so its not so great, ahh. Well thanks.

So all the ship will be crowd?

All cruises are great fun! It sure beats working. Exactly what kind of extras were you expecting ?I don't see how they could do much more than they are already doing.Above I mentioned some of the little perks,but to expect a live Christmas tree in you cabin or the Radio City Rockettes on stage might be a tad unreasonable.

And we mustn't forget that not all people celebrate Christmas.

Frankly, the post above stating that Christmas music is played in the buffet all week was enough to convince me that I would not enjoy a Christmas cruise. As much as I like traditional Christmas carols, by Christmas day, I pretty much feel like I never want to hear one again. Here, it seems like they start playing Christmas music in the stores before Halloween is even over.

Just call me Scrooge. :D

I know I mentioned this in our roll call, but I don't remember much being done at all on past holiday cruises with other lines..which was fine with me. I think they have turkey and stuffing as a choice for dinner on Christmas. I think... I normally book holiday cruises just because it is when I can travel. New Year's two years ago on Holland did have hats, dancing, ice sculpture, etc. if that was your thing. I went to bed. ;)

Last year I disembarked on December 23 I believe off Celebrity in Sydney. The decorations were pretty low key on the ship..which was fine. I am there for the ports... The cruises are expensive, but I think it is just because that is when most people are available to travel (if they are willing to travel at that time.) Just like airfare is more expensive for those cruises.

We will be going on your first Xmas and NY cruise on Connie. Always wanted to cruise during the holidays. I will let you know if it is worth the extra $$$ and the hasle. We have done many Thanksgiving cruises and pre Xmas cruises, ship gets decorated right after and I always wanted to toast a NY on the ship.

Will see............ Hope we wouldn't be too disappointed.

I will let you know if it is worth the extra $$$

What's the big mystery here? I don't think your are paying more so that there would be decorations, and special meals, I think you are paying more for timing and capacity. Good grief!

I agree with the other poster who indicated that expecting the Rockettes, and live trees is a bit over the top.

It's a cruise. You want a Norman Rockwell Christmas? Stay home.

What's the big mystery here? I don't think your are paying more so that there would be decorations, and special meals, I think you are paying more for timing and capacity. Good grief!

I agree with the other poster who indicated that expecting the Rockettes, and live trees is a bit over the top.

It's a cruise. You want a Norman Rockwell Christmas? Stay home.

I disagree.

It is a HOLIDAY cruise, so it should be special and should feel festive. And black tie party for NY is very appropriate. If I want just a cruise I would go a week before Xmas and pay half the price.

I always cruise at Christmas with Celebrity

Ship is decorated throughout,carols on Christmas eve,turkey dinner Christmas day,well attended midnight mass,special Christmas themed midnight buffet, Christmas music all week in breakfast and lunch buffets, Santa Claus movies in the cinema all day,Santa arrives ,parades around the ship then stops to distribute gifts and pose for lap photos on the staircase,small children got stockings in the stateroom after dinner on Christmas eve.Not much else...no live reindeer or snow.

The above is an accurate description of Xmas on Summit this past December. I thought it was very well done. On New Year's Eve everybody was dressed up, there were hats and balloons and a huge party out on deck. They had 5 foot high ice carvings of the digits 2 0 0 7 and on midnight they smashed the 7 and replaced it with an 8. We did the countdown on deck, crew and guests all together, there was free flowing champagne all night long and lots of dancing until the sun came up.

I think X handled Xmas and New Year exceptionally well.

All cruises are great fun! It sure beats working. Exactly what kind of extras were you expecting ?I don't see how they could do much more than they are already doing.Above I mentioned some of the little perks,but to expect a live Christmas tree in you cabin or the Radio City Rockettes on stage might be a tad unreasonable.

Oh , first thanks, and second Im mexicans so we have a different way to celebrate, it is with more "spirit". I hope like a better dinner with good decorations, and activities for kids, and dancing and all that. I dont know if the dinner will be in the ss united states, special restaurant. So what is Radio City Rockets? Sorry:confused: :o

The above is an accurate description of Xmas on Summit this past December. I thought it was very well done. On New Year's Eve everybody was dressed up, there were hats and balloons and a huge party out on deck. They had 5 foot high ice carvings of the digits 2 0 0 7 and on midnight they smashed the 7 and replaced it with an 8. We did the countdown on deck, crew and guests all together, there was free flowing champagne all night long and lots of dancing until the sun came up.

I think X handled Xmas and New Year exceptionally well.

Yes the deck party New Years Eve was very nice. Many people changed into casual clothes so everyone was not dressed up.

Also you must of had main seating because I was in second seating and our table did not get hats. The deck was pretty dead when I left and the sun was not coming up. Where were the Balloons??? I did not see any.

Were you at the Cruise Critic Connection Party??? I am sorry but I do not remember you.:confused:

Oh , first thanks, and second Im mexicans so we have a different way to celebrate, it is with more "spirit". I hope like a better dinner with good decorations, and activities for kids, and dancing and all that. I dont know if the dinner will be in the ss united states, special restaurant. So what is Radio City Rockets? Sorry:confused: :o

Perhaps the kind of experience you are looking for is not to be found on a cruise ship and you should come to New York City's Times Square for New Years.There you will find a bit of "spirit" if you look closely. There you will also learn about the Rockettes.

Archived