Comment/Question (for) Alaska

Suede

First my comment,I found a pair of waterproof boots at Burlington's today, here in middle Georgia, for $19.99, they are very light and has fake fur around the top and a little ways down into the boot,they seem to be very comfortable also. I have looked in alot of shoe store's we have in town and couldn't find waterproof shoes, I may not even need them but they are light enough to carry. They are called "Totes". They are not like any of the boots that you see younger people wearing today. They don't look to bad with jeans even. (So my DH said) Hope this may help someone.

Now my question, I have never sailed to Alaska so could someone tell me at what point will we begin to see scenery? I am leaving on my cruise next Saturday (23rd) at 4:00 on the Golden Princess out of Seattle, so I was wondering if it will it be the next morning, afternoon or the next follwing day? Our first port, is Juneau on the 25th. This is not an "exact pinpoint the time" kind or question as to when we will be seeing land/mountains, maybe just a "you may see land the following afternoon, or following morning kind.

Suede

I would be on deck for the sail away -- you'll go right past downtown Seattle.

If the weather gods are kind, you will see Mt. Rainier, possibly Mt. Baker, the Olympics and Cascade range as you sail out of Puget Sound, past my lovely green island and up into the Straights of Juan de Fuca - more lovely islands, possibly some marine life ...

The boots sound just right. Be sure to wear them around the house a bit to make sure they are broken in.

Have a great time!

HCBI

when we sailed out of seattle (on NCL)...the views leaving seattle were nice. stayed out on deck for a couple of hours.

the next day, early in the morning, we were in open sea..no views until about 11am. then islands started showing up on the port side. the starboard side was just a thin line on the horizen, couldn't see any details. the snow capped mountains and massives of green showed the next morning as we were cruising into juneau.

the views the 1st day were nice, but the big ships don't get close to shore...binoculars are a big plus.

..no views until about 11am. then islands started showing up on the port side. the starboard side was just a thin line on the horizen, couldn't see any details.

It's actually the other way around on Seattle departures - the views northbound are on the starboard side (as you pass Vancouver Island) - Japan is off on the the port side somewhere.

It's actually the other way around on Seattle departures - the views northbound are on the starboard side (as you pass Vancouver Island) - Japan is off on the the port side somewhere.

That's funny:D :D

I was actually trying to figure that out, then figured I was wrong in my thinking and let it go, anyway I have a starboard side balcony cabin, so if I am not up on deck, I may be able to see some scenery with binoculars.

Thanks for the laugh.

Suede

Archived