Grandchildren

DAMNGOODCRUISER

Can anyone offer some suggestions for cruising with 4 grandchildren.

It will be my husband and myself with 4 girls. They are 8 &9 and 15 & 16. We are hoping for 2 adjoining cabins. One of us with the little girls the other with the teens. Anyone done this? What ships, lines or itineraries do you suggest? We plan this for next summer.

Thanks for any hepl I can get.

Callie:) :)

Love your name!:D

You will find a lot of activities for both age groups in Cruisinmama06's signature line!!

Are you thinking Caribbean? Mediterranean? Alaska? If its the caribbean (my families favorite) chose a Freedom class ship. Do the girls like adventure or are they more arts crafts and dancing??? Also, what do you and DH like to do? I think both Princess and Royal Caribbean offer a lot of activities for the whole family.

My kids like Princess because they both like the 'music' & dance! Princess has remix which allows them to mix up their own music with a nightly disco to dance...Its a club all of their own. The 8 year olds have the same product (in my opinion) as RCCL. Accept that RCCL has the parade and Princess does not!

The really great thing is that the younger girls will be paired together and the older girls will be paired together!

Also, I think an adjoining room would be great! You could do either joining balcony rooms or adjoining ocean views! I think the best rooms would be the ones that do not have the upper beds, but that is just my opinion! If you do end up with a "Freedom" class ship or the "voyager" class ships you could do the promenade stateroom that adjoins!

They are going to love it! They have terrific grandparents!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)

These are both family friendly lines and I'd suggest a caribbean cruise as a starter (unless you're on the west coast then Mexico or Alaska).

The RC Freedom class ships get wonderful reviews. There are LOTS of family friendly activities. I don't think it matters on the exact itinerary unless someone's got a favorite destination. There are fun activities on all the islands.

The adjoining cabins are a great idea....I'd personnally keep all the kids together.....they'll be perfectly safe in the adjoining room.

Judy

If you are thinking Caribbean, definately choose an itinerary with a private island - that is the best beach day anyone could ask for! I would imagine your choice is also somewhat influenced by airfare - choose something that won't cause too much stress getting to and from the port. The kids will enjoy regardless of destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. We are thinking Caribbean.

My hubby and I love both Princess and Royal. Have been on both many times. I think you are so right about the private Island. They will love that.

I'm so glad I asked.

We are also Florida residents. We are in NY right now. Will head home next month.

Callie

What a wonderful thing you are doing with your grandchildren. I'm sure it's a trip they will always remember! There are so many cruise options it is hard to pick. I think Royal or NCL would be good choices with kids. NCL offers freestyle which might be good for flexiblity and RCCL has so many great ships and lots of activities. I've been on Princess 2 times and don't feel like they are as "kid friendly" as the other two. Just my opinion...maybe others feel differently.

These are both family friendly lines and I'd suggest a caribbean cruise as a starter (unless you're on the west coast then Mexico or Alaska).

The RC Freedom class ships get wonderful reviews. There are LOTS of family friendly activities. I don't think it matters on the exact itinerary unless someone's got a favorite destination. There are fun activities on all the islands.

The adjoining cabins are a great idea....I'd personnally keep all the kids together.....they'll be perfectly safe in the adjoining room.

Judy

As a follow-on to Judy's comment:

Many of the Freedom class ocean view and interior staterooms are not only interconnected, but also have one (or both) rooms with 2 Pullman beds (eg. statrooms 3622,3624), allowing all 4 girls in one room and giving Grandma and Grandpa a quiet zone :) Sorry, I'm not able to speak on the Princess ships, but the Freedom ships will be a hit with the kids.

I always shake my head in wonder when I read the Princess isn't "kid friendly". My kids have been cruising since they were 7 and have never ever had a bad cruise or thought it wasn't kid friendly. We've had waiters help with the Spanish homework, crew help with an experiment for homework, show the kids the behind the scenes action at the theater, bowling in the dining room... I can go on and on about how the crew made the kids feel welcome. On our last cruise with my 3 YO grandson the staff was excellent. He came back to the cabin with a present every day. I still have the picture they helped him make. Oh, and my brothers and their kids have also been cruising on Princess and love it too.

Now I haven't gone on RCL lately so I can't compare the things to do, but Princess is definitely family orientated.

Gee, you are all so knowledgeable.

We haven't as yet tried NCL. It seems like a real possibility.

We will probably book this when we get home at the end of the month. I am hopeing we can get those connecting cabins. The younger girls can get a little wild when they are together. I'd like to be able to keep my eye on them. My daughter thinks we should leave the younger ones home. I don't think so. My hubby is game, so we will go for it.

Thank you all again.

Callie :) :)

Archived