Best place in Manhatten to watch Miracle sail away?

Avril

I'm heading to New York City oin Thursday to sail on the Victory on Saturday. :D On porttime.com, I noticed that on Thursday the Miracle is going to be in port!! :D I'm sailing on her with my Mom and Aunt in May 2009 and would love to get some pics of her sail away as we too are sailing on her out of NYC!! :D Does anyone know a good place to go and stand in Manhatten to watch a sail away and how to get there?

Thanks!! :D

I'm heading to New York City oin Thursday to sail on the Victory on Saturday. :D On porttime.com, I noticed that on Thursday the Miracle is going to be in port!! :D I'm sailing on her with my Mom and Aunt in May 2009 and would love to get some pics of her sail away as we too are sailing on her out of NYC!! :D Does anyone know a good place to go and stand in Manhatten to watch a sail away and how to get there?

Thanks!! :D

IMHO the best place to watch her would be from the Lido Deck;)

But since you seem to be getting ready for another cruise i guess you will have to ask the experts....sorry i wish i could help..

Liberty Island. The Stature of Liberty. BEST BET. Timing is important in this. Take the 1 train (first 5 cars) to South Ferry to catch the ferry. Lines can be long and there can be waits for the ferry.

30 Rock. NBC (Top of the Rock)

Empire State Building. (Though lines can be pretty long on busy days and you have to time it well.)

Just hope for a clear day for the above.

A helicopter ride. (yup you can)

Just some ideas but make sure you have a good camera.

These ideas of course are not up close, with exception of Liberty Island, but are different and fun.

If you are viewing from Manhattan, you can get to the riverfront almost anywhere along the west side. However, I would suggest Battery Park down by the World Trade Center. That's down near the statue and the river hasn't completely widened into the harbor yet. The further upriver you are the narrower it is and the closest you'll be.

Or if you want to use New York as your backdrop, take the PATH train (32nd & 6th, $1.75 and it takes metrocards) over to Hoboken and walk to the end of Pier A park which juts into the river. Or you can take the ferry over from 38th & 12th Ave. The Hoboken North ferry will drop you at the 14th Street Pier, which also juts into the river. The Hoboken South ferry will drop you at the train station near Pier A park (ferries are $6 I believe).

Happy Cruising,

Laura

I would try the deck of the USS Intrepid i think it is docked right next to the cruise terminals you should be able to get some great pictures from there

Intrepid isn't back at Pier 86 yet - she's still being refurbished on Staten Island. I like Laura's suggestion of either Battery Park or Hoboken. For a midtown location - does anyone know whether you can access any sites at Chelsea Piers (waterfront between 17th and 23rd Streets) without an admission fee? It seems like the end of one of the piers should be a great place for photos. I know I got some good photos of Chelsea Piers from Legend when we sailed two years ago.

I would try the deck of the USS Intrepid i think it is docked right next to the cruise terminals you should be able to get some great pictures from there

The Intrepid is currently in a shipyard in New Jersey for maintenance and refurb won't be back until October I believe.

I enjoy sitting in the Charthouse in Weehawken, NJ. eating a fine meal with some good wine as the ships sail proudly past the panoramic windows, with NYC as the backdrop, all lit up during a brilliant sunset.

hey all-i reside in hoboken...........the view from any of the 3 locations already posted are excellent spots,we will be sailing on the miracle 9/22/08-let the packing begin

Hey seriouscruiser!

A fellow Hobokenite! Small world. How long have you been in Hoboken? B n' R or new arrival? I'm in between, been here almost 18 years. Less than 10 years ago there would have been no good places here to watch the ships go out from.

By the way all, this picture was taken from the 14th Street Pier in Hoboken as the Victory left a couple of weeks ago...

2625675280049731243S500x500Q85.jpg

Happy Cruising,

Laura

IMHO the best place to watch her would be from the Lido Deck;)

VERY TRUE!! :D I'll be doing just that next May!! :D

Liberty Island. The Stature of Liberty. BEST BET. Timing is important in this. Take the 1 train (first 5 cars) to South Ferry to catch the ferry. Lines can be long and there can be waits for the ferry.

Thanks. :D I'd thought of that but wasn't sure if you were still allowed to go there because of increased security since 9/11. What time should we try to arrive at the ferry?

If you are viewing from Manhattan' date=' you can get to the riverfront almost anywhere along the west side. However, I would suggest Battery Park down by the World Trade Center. That's down near the statue and the river hasn't completely widened into the harbor yet. The further upriver you are the narrower it is and the closest you'll be.[/quote']

Also a good idea. :D Can you still get near the World Trade Centre (or where it used to be)? I was just thinking that security might be a bit tight in that area (and understandably so).

I enjoy sitting in the Charthouse in Weehawken, NJ. eating a fine meal with some good wine as the ships sail proudly past the panoramic windows, with NYC as the backdrop, all lit up during a brilliant sunset.

Took the words right out of out my post!

Or at the Weehawken golf range... There is a little bar outside..

Archived