New member reviews on the Dawn

cljd

I do agree that the food you paid for was a little better than the food in the main dining room and I did feel that wasn't fair.

Bonnie

On the other hand, I'd be upset if the food I paid more for wasn't better than the main dining room food! Of course, I tend to be perfectly satisfied with the food in the main dining rooms. We've hardly ever bothered with the specialty dining rooms on our previous cruises, and I doubt we will on our upcoming cruise in September.

In my way of thinking, it's much harder to prepare and serve the passengers in the main dining rooms (about 750 seats), than it is the ones in the specialty dining rooms (100 - 200 seats). To me, it's kind of like eating in a nice hotel dining room compared to the food that they serve when they're dealing with a convention. The food in the convention is normally fine, but you're not going to get the same quality that you are if you're eating in the dining room.

And here I thought I'd paid for all the food I eat on the ship...

You did -- unless you choose to eat in the specialty restaurants that have an additional charge. No one is forcing you to -- we've been on 5 NCL cruises so far and never spent an additional penny yet. It's not only NCL charging for the specialty restaurants either. Several of the other lines have a specialty restaurant with an additional charge, too.

You did -- unless you choose to eat in the specialty restaurants that have an additional charge. No one is forcing you to -- we've been on 5 NCL cruises so far and never spent an additional penny yet. It's not only NCL charging for the specialty restaurants either. Several of the other lines have a specialty restaurant with an additional charge, too.

True,I know all this...I guess especially when you read reviews of the main dining room and the specialty restaurants serving the same sort of dish (i.e. escargot)} yet the specialty restaurant makes it difft./better...I don't see it very fair.

True,I know all this...I guess especially when you read reviews of the main dining room and the specialty restaurants serving the same sort of dish (i.e. escargot)} yet the specialty restaurant makes it difft./better...I don't see it very fair.

The way I've heard it described best, you're paying for the ambiance of the smaller, more intimate setting -- not necessarily the food. As mentioned above, it's easier to make food for 50 or 100 people than 800, so I don't find it unfair at all.

Uh oh. :eek:.

I'm hoping NCL reads this & cleans up (pun intended) their act. Either that or maybe a crew changeover will happen sometime soon. I'm not expecting alot of children/teens on our October 5th sailing, so now worries there. Really sorry for the bad experience of some cruisers though.

I hope the parents of some of these drunken teens clean up their act.

Viv

My favorite was the person who complained his arms were too short to reach the buffet.:rolleyes:

I didn't read this comment but I understand what they meant. I'm just off the Dawn yesterday and the buffet has a very low overhead "shield" so it is uncomfortably hard to reach whatever is in the back row. You actually have to bend down under the shield, whereas anyone with long hair tends to let it hang too-close-for-comfort into the buffet. Really defeats the purpose of the shield. I did notice that a crew member would sometimes hold up the back dish for you when you started to reach for it.

You had no reason for thinking that, so stop complaining.

p.s. By this...I meant I paid for the food in the main dining room in the price of my cruise. Not that I thought all the restaurants were included. It was sarcasm with a touch of wit, two attributes obviously lost on you.

My favorite was the person who complained his arms were too short to reach the buffet.:rolleyes:

I didn't read this comment but I understand what they meant. I'm just off the Dawn yesterday and the buffet has a very low overhead "shield" so it is uncomfortably hard to reach whatever is in the back row. You actually have to bend down under the shield, whereas anyone with long hair tends to let it hang too-close-for-comfort into the buffet. Really defeats the purpose of the shield. I did notice that a crew member would sometimes hold up the back dish for you when you started to reach for it.

I would have to say that the buffet items were hard to reach because of the very low shields. At least you didn't have to worry if anyone sneezed. :D

Those tongs they used was something I had to get used to though. I learned to hold them from the middle or else whatever I picked up would pop out from the tongs :)

I would have to say that the buffet items were hard to reach because of the very low shields. At least you didn't have to worry if anyone sneezed. :D

Those tongs they used was something I had to get used to though. I learned to hold them from the middle or else whatever I picked up would pop out from the tongs :)

This is all part of NCL's CookingLight plan=x

Archived