Must See or Do in Costa Rica?

DonnaMarieNJ

Hello...

For DonnaMarie....RE: Your question about Puerto Limon. I normally plan independent tours, but because everything that I wanted to see was so far from this port (I really wanted to go all the way up the Torguguero Canal to the northern point, but didn't have enough time) I chose to take a ship's tour and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

We were on Azamara's Quest and they offered a tour starting with a short drive to the Blue Train. This was very comfortable, quaint old banana train and offered nice views of the countryside....very rural and tropical. We got off at a river that seemed to be a tributary of the Torguguera area (but I could be wrong). After a short break for refreshments (fresh fruits and juices) we boarded covered low boats and took about a two hour cruise on the river, spotting a lot of birds, beautiful plants and trees, some sloths and a family of monkeys. Our guide was determined to make us believe that these spider monkeys were Howlers, but he was the only one howling and we were all having a great time watching him. It was a pleasant way to spend 1/2 day and we felt the tour was worth it. Our guide gave all of us little red wooden painted ox carts as these are one of the souveniers typically purchased in Costa Rica.

After returning to the port we checked out the items for sale in the port area, but the best things that I found were actually made by a young woman from Nicaragua....the wonderful pottery found in the villages around Granada.

Arlodog....RE: Puerto Caldera....After a lot of research, because there are more choices on the west coast, we hired a driver and guide and did a private tour to Santa Elena/Monteverde Cloud Forest area. It's a two hour drive to get there and over some rough road near the end, but the scenery is amazing and we stopped a lot for photos of animals, flowers, scenery, trees, various fruits, etc. We had picked Monteverde as they seem to have the best SKYWALK and we wanted to be at the very top of the rain forest. The views were completely amazing and the bridges new and very solid. Lots of zip-lines as well, but we didn't have time for both.

After spending time in Monteverde we had a great lunch in Santa Elena at the Tree House (I highly recommend it.), stopped at a local art gallery (right side on the drive out of Santa Elena) and found some lovely inexpensive oils and enjoyed the ride back. This was actually a place where I could have easily spent three days or more and enjoyed the entire time.

I hope that this has been helpful and that you both enjoy Costa Rica.

murphysmum;)

Thank you so much Murphysmum. Can I ask what time of year you went? I'm going in November and I'm not sure if it is the season to see wildlife. Will there be monkeys? I've been to several rain forests and have yet to see flowers or animals - it must be the time of year I travel - very disappointing.

Hi!

I was there in February and we did see monkey's...a lot. I HAVE seen Howler monkeys in Guatemala (Tikal area) in November, but I have no idea if these are "seasonal" sightings or if they're visible in their habitat all year long.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of animals/monkeys will help us out.

Good luck!

murphysmum;)

Thanks. I've always wondered that. I cruise mainly in November/December and am usually very disappointed. I assumed there was a season. Where I live, I have distinct seasons. I'm not certain what happens in areas where it is warm most of the year. Do the flowers die down towards December? Do the animals hibernate (for lack of a better word)? etc.

But your post made me feel hopeful. I'd LOVE to see monkeys! But, I will not be going to Guatemala (went there in 2006 - wonderful!)

Thanks again!

Murphysmum:

Thanks so much for the reply. Who did you hire to take you? Do you have any recommendations? I have found a couple of names of people mentioned on CC, JJ and Charlie Soto, but not alot of information on either of them or other private tour operators. Just looking for someone that others have used successfully that they can recommend--have never been steered wrong by CC members.

Karen

Hello Karen...

In response to your request about which tour company I used for the full-day trip to Monteverde Cloud Forest....

I used www.tropicaldiscovery.com and Tina Huewe was the person who organized the personalized tour. She's lovely to work with.

Tropical Discovery is actually a full-service tour agency covering all of Central America and based in Antigua, Guatemala. I've used them for longer land tours as well as day tours from a ship (in Nicaragua, Guatemala and Costa Rica).

Their drivers and guides are excellent; we were able to see twice as much as we would have been able to on the listed tours and in the comfort of a smaller air conditioned vehicle.

There were only two of us on the tours we took; having four people on a tour would bring the price to approximately the same price as the ship's tours....but for quality, Tropical Discovery is "priceless".

I hope this is helpful!

murphysmum (Janed);)

Murphysmom:

Thank you again for the information and the link for the tour. I am finding it difficult to find very much information on this port or what is available, and I really prefer to book indedpendent excursions as I find that you get to see so much more of the local area than on a large ship tour! Really appreciate the info! I will contact them to see what tours are available.

Karen

Hello Karen...

In response to your request about which tour company I used for the full-day trip to Monteverde Cloud Forest....

I used www.tropicaldiscovery.com and Tina Huewe was the person who organized the personalized tour. She's lovely to work with.

Tropical Discovery is actually a full-service tour agency covering all of Central America and based in Antigua, Guatemala. I've used them for longer land tours as well as day tours from a ship (in Nicaragua, Guatemala and Costa Rica).

Their drivers and guides are excellent; we were able to see twice as much as we would have been able to on the listed tours and in the comfort of a smaller air conditioned vehicle.

There were only two of us on the tours we took; having four people on a tour would bring the price to approximately the same price as the ship's tours....but for quality, Tropical Discovery is "priceless".

I hope this is helpful!

murphysmum (Janed);)

Thanks murphysmum, I have emailed them for our trip to Panama. Thanks!!!!! Nancie:cool:

Arlodog....RE: Puerto Caldera....After a lot of research, because there are more choices on the west coast, we hired a driver and guide and did a private tour to Santa Elena/Monteverde Cloud Forest area. It's a two hour drive to get there and over some rough road near the end, but the scenery is amazing and we stopped a lot for photos of animals, flowers, scenery, trees, various fruits, etc. We had picked Monteverde as they seem to have the best SKYWALK and we wanted to be at the very top of the rain forest. The views were completely amazing and the bridges new and very solid. Lots of zip-lines as well, but we didn't have time for both.

After spending time in Monteverde we had a great lunch in Santa Elena at the Tree House (I highly recommend it.), stopped at a local art gallery (right side on the drive out of Santa Elena) and found some lovely inexpensive oils and enjoyed the ride back. This was actually a place where I could have easily spent three days or more and enjoyed the entire time.

I hope that this has been helpful and that you both enjoy Costa Rica.

murphysmum;)

Thank you for posting this.... It was helpful. Princess does not have any information posted on Puerto Caldera yet when we are going to be there in early December so this is encouraging...

Tim

Archived