Carnival in Venice & Dubrovnik

Traveling Gram

Anyone know how Carnival handles shuttles in Venice to get to Piazza Roma or to town in Dubrovnik? Do you buy/free a shuttle ticket? Have read different things but none are from Carnival ships.

Thanks

Hi Traveling Gram!! In Venice you are mostly on your own! It is a lengthy walk from the ship to the vaporetto stations where it's your first opportunity to catch a vaporetto to Piazza Roma. Carnvial did give us some directions on getting there. OR once there (vaporetto station) if you want to see the city and have a leisurely walk you can walk to the city center verses taking a vaporetto. We did on day 2, taking us about 30 minutes to walk it. It is very well marked and plenty of people along the way. Personally, I loved it! It was a great way to see down the canals, the apartments and little stores tucked away off of the beaten path! The vaporetto's are long rides with many stops along the way. You absolutley do not get anywhere fast on them! :D There are a few who did choose to rent a private vaporetto but it is pretty pricey unless there is a group of you to split among? The good thing about a private vaporetto is that they are just down from the ship...very little walking.

As far as Dubrovnik...it's a piece of cake! Carnival shuttles you over, yes, and I believe it was either a 7 or 10 fee...Euros or USD, wich ever you wished to use. You paid for roundtrip after getting onto the bus to go over. They drop you off directly in front of the Old City Wall and give you pick-up times and place. At the time we went you also had to have your driver licenses handy to show when the bus was leaving port....not sure if they may have changed by now?

Also, post this on the Eastern/Western Ports Of Call thread and see what else you get. We learned the option of walking from another CC member before going over. Have a wonderful time...oh, wait..I know you will because it is a GREAT cruise! I will absolutley be doing that one again!

When we sailed on the Liberty in Sept of 05 we were Incredibly lucky -- in Venice we were able to dock right in the city versus where the cruise ships usually dock. Not sure what the rules are but only 1 ship at a time gets to dock there. The Liberty got to dock there only when it arrived on a Saturday. (Since it was a 12 day cruise, it arrived in different ports on different days of the week) It was a 5 minute walk to St Mark's Square. Cannot begin to tell you how convenient it was.

CT Mak

When I was on the Freedom Inaugural there were buses. i understand that there was some dispute over them and bus service was stopped for a while. I would like to think Carnival found some resolution which is why I suggested asking one of the Carnival CDs currently in Europe.

Archived