Rainforest Sky Explorer excursion

bassclari

OK, that was easier than I thought it would be.

***Spoiler Alert*** The following link is a video of the Jamaican Bobsled experience from the top of the mountain to the bottom of the ride.

Once at the bottom, you continue forward for a short ways, and then are 'tugged' back to the top of the mountain rather slowly (but you get to pass some of the neighboring bobsled track, as well as a couple of zip line canopy stands, which is really cool).

I hope you'll enjoy watching this, if you so choose. :)

A video of the Sky Explorer will be coming soon.

OK, that was easier than I thought it would be.

***Spoiler Alert*** The following link is a video of the Jamaican Bobsled experience from the top of the mountain to the bottom of the ride.

Once at the bottom, you continue forward for a short ways, and then are 'tugged' back to the top of the mountain rather slowly (but you get to pass some of the neighboring bobsled track, as well as a couple of zip line canopy stands, which is really cool).

I hope you'll enjoy watching this, if you so choose. :)

A video of the Sky Explorer will be coming soon.

That was swesome !!

thanks

Carolina

Raceroc: I had a small backpack w/ me, and I carried it on the bobsled (there was ample room down by my legs in the enclosure). Since I didn't do the pool, I didn't check for lockers. My gut feeling would be Yes. It's a really new facility, and they seem to have their act together, so they probably prepared for that situation.

• 2 months later...

booked this excursion for our cruise in Jan. Afew questions--think i may just take a dip in the pool. think husband and the kids will really like it. How many people in a sled???? the smallest guy is 9--he loves rollercoasters but it seems you have to be active in the break action??? Also, if i didn't go is it possible for someone to go again??? thanx that is the only excursion we are booking... Going on the Freedom--been to Key West and meeting friends in the Cayman's.... thanx again

We did something similar to this in Switzerland with the boyscouts (all ages) and they loved it! There wasn't any restriction on age. Braking was like on a bike so I would think the 9 year old would be able to do. I bet if you go to the website it would tell you any age restrictions.

Watch the posted video and it looks like the 9 year old could do it.

We did the bobsled in early December (off the Coral Princess). We booked a ship tour. The bus brings you to Mystic Mountain, you spend as much time there as you want, and then take a shuttle back. The bobsled ride automatically includes the Sky explorer (since you use it to get up the hill). My DH and I actually walked down so that we could be up close and personal with the vegetation but that is not the recommended way down, according to staff. The trail is not up to cruise passenger standard so no one would actually tell us the way down. Still, it was an interesting hike and in my opinion, it's hard to get lost. Slippery though so if you're not a hiker, stick to the ride down. The bobsled itself was fun. There is also a waterslide that you can use as much as you want so bringing a bathing suit is a good idea. I have attached a photo showing a bit of the bobsled track, the bottom of the waterslide and our ship in the background. I would recommend the ride for sure and you really don't have to worry about catching up to the person ahead of you. If you tell the operator you want to go fast they will leave a long space in front of you. Also, there is only one person per cart but they will attach two carts together if you like. I think there is a minimum height restriction for the bobsled (but I don't remember what it was - it would probably say on the website).

Have fun!

jamaica.jpg.19429554de0ff04494f9f5c318a5eb1d.jpg

Thanks for the review. We too are taking Princess & doesn't seem like they offer one of the combo's that include the zipline. I've read you can buy it extra once you get there, do you remember seeing anything about it? Love the picture!!!!!

Sorry, I don't remember. You could definitely buy extra bobsled rides (3 for $20, I think) but I wasn't looking at doing the Zipline so I didn't check it out. They have a ticket window at the top (probably the same one where I saw the bobsled prices) with attractions on offer. It seems to me we had loads of time to do extra things once we were there. The ride from the ship is really short (maybe 5 to 10 minutes) and the bobsled ride is also short so there is lots of time to do the waterslide, hike down, do more bobsled rides and anything else a person might want to do.

Re: the braking on the bobsled. It is not like on a bike. It is (as someone else said) handles on the side that you push forward to go forward, back to brake. You have to actually push forward to increase speed, slack off at all and the cart slows down. I think a 9 year-old would figure this out. On the other hand, I don't have any 9 year-olds so you (Jean0151) would be a better judge of this. You could always get the sleds connected so that the 9 year-old wouldn't have to be in charge of braking.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Ruby Princess 2/7 and I just booked the "tranopy" tour through the Princess excursions section. $119PP. It was called the Mystic Mountain Bobsled & Canopy Adventure. Cheaper than bookin direct AND it includes transportation.

Whee, can't wait!

Does anybody know, is there a lot of climbing involved in the zip portion?

You have three options booking through Carnival to do the Sky Explorer and Bobsled Run. The 79.00 option is the Sky Explorer, with one Bobsled Run and a visit to Dunn's River Falls. This is called Bobsled Jamaica with Falls. The second option, at 59.00, is without the stop at the falls. The final version, at 39.00 is called Sky Explorer. This is the best way to book it if you just wish to go to the mountain. If you also want to do the bobsled run, you can buy tickets there for either 1/20.00 or 3/29.00. I do not know if the 3 for 29 dollars consists of three tickets that could be split between 1-3 people or if it consists of a bracelet so that 1 person has to go all 3 times.

• 2 weeks later...

If you book any of the Mystic Mtn excursions through the cruiseline - is the transportation more like a big shuttle, that you don't have to be on a specific bus at a certain time (as long as you don't miss them totally). kwim?

We're thinking about booking just the canopy part thru Carnival, and then buying the other attraction tix onsite. I just want to make sure that we won't be limited in time by doing it this way.

tia!

Archived