Seasickness Tips ?

boobooboyee

Would any of you please share with me any tips to avoid seasickness? I tend to have a bit of motion sickness....the last time I took a cruise (almost 20 years ago!) I was a bit shaky at the beginning but then I recall it did pass. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, BB

Would any of you please share with me any tips to avoid seasickness? I tend to have a bit of motion sickness....the last time I took a cruise (almost 20 years ago!) I was a bit shaky at the beginning but then I recall it did pass. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, BB

I did the ear patch a couple of cruises ago and found the dry mouth for me was unbearable. The next cruise I switched to ginger tablets, there 2 types chewable and just swallow type. I wasn't too keen on the chewable but the others were ok. Both worked and I take them with me now. You can get them in any health store, most pharma's and of course the at "W"

a great fruit flavored pill that dissolves in your mouth every morning & lasts 24 hours. I take mine before I board the plan taking us to the cruise port & then I am all set sail. It is available at grocery stores, drug stores, etc.

Bands didn't work for me, the ear stickers cause vision problems, rashes, etc. So BONINE wins!

I can't say this enough, Ginger Pills. I have tried everything and that is the only thing that worked. The show Mythbusters did a segment on seasickness pills what works what doesn't and they found that Ginger Pills were the only thing that truly worked.

Kim

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful advice - I guess I'll try the ginger tablets, if I can find them.

S4 - Thanks - I guess I should have asked before I booked the cruise...I'm on the 10th deck. :eek: BB

Booboo,

We get our ginger at Walmart. It's cheap and it does the trick. You won't be sorry. ;)

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful advice - I guess I'll try the ginger tablets, if I can find them.

S4 - Thanks - I guess I should have asked before I booked the cruise...I'm on the 10th deck. :eek: BB

boo I'm not sure if this is your 1st cruise but i used to get sea sickness but even on the 1st cruise for me I took the patch off at day 3 and had no problems. second cruise I took the ginger and stopped at day 2. It seems that I don't have the problem on the cruise ships it's just the small tour boats.

Ginger capsules are great for nasuea and sea sickness. You can also try candied ginger which can be found in health food stores or grocery stores. Not sure about NCL but on Carnival the pursers desk had free sea sickness pills.

My son's girlfriend got really sick the first day of our cruise last week. I gave her the patch and within an hour she was fine and didn't have any side effects. My daughter, on the other hand, had dry mouth so bad she took the patch off and only used ginger pills and they worked fine for her.

Just our experience.

Happy Cruise:)

My husband and I sailed in July during Hurricane Bertha. I took ginger tablets (one in the a.m, one before going to bed) and he took Bonine. I'm happy to report that neither of us got sick and trust me...there were ALOT of people on the ship sick. Good luck and enjoy!

Mythbusters just busted all the non-medicinal methods to treat sea sickness, ginger was the only thing that worked. :) I just had a bad case of vertigo two days ago, some virus going around, and I took the meclizine, it knocked me out for a whole day. I would hate to sleep my cruise away. My mom swears by these really strong ginger candies I gave to her(she gets car sick), and they really have helped when I've been a little under the weather. I find them at Trader Joe's, World Market, and Pier 1, I've also seen them in the gourmet aisles at Ross's and TJ Maxx. Good luck!

Archived