Passport

CatNJ

No you do not. I would still bring your drivers license to use for picture ID when needed.

Yep, some ports require a picture id to get back onboard. Cruise Compass should tell you but it's easy to miss. Was in St Thomas several years back and forgot to take driver's license with me. Boy, they sure didn't want to let me back on. Didn't think about taking it there being a US possession, but we did. With crusing so many years, sometimes take it for granted about things changing for security reasons. When I'm out and about on the ship the night before a port, I sometimes stop by the Purser's Desk to ask what I might need for id. I sometimes wonder about people who miss the ship at a port and have to catch up with the ship at a later port if they don't have their passport, some cash and a credit card for hotel and flight to leave that island and get back home.

Dave

The photo ID is only for passengers 16 years old and over.

It is NOT a cruiseline requirement to get back onto the ship. At some ports (St Thomas, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Nassau, to name a few), the pier is in a secure fenced off area guarded by local port authority. They will not allow you into this gated area to approach the ship for reboarding if you do not show photo ID along with your Sea Pass. Then, all you need to get onto the ship is your Sea Pass - when you insert it into the machine, your photo appears on a screen so the Cruiseline Security person can see if it's really you. Everyone, including infants, will need to use their sea pass to get onto and off of the ship.

to OP:

The other reason the scan seapass on way out and back in - besides making sure it's same people - is a 'count' - so they know if/when/who they are missing when it's time to sail.

If there are some people who 'scanned out' - but not 'scanned back in' when it's getting close to sail time, the ship will usually blow it's horn (meant to get attention lol) and start paging missing people in case they are on ship but seapass wasn't scanned.

The photo ID is only for passengers 16 years old and over.

It is NOT a cruiseline requirement to get back onto the ship. At some ports (St Thomas, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Nassau, to name a few), the pier is in a secure fenced off area guarded by local port authority. They will not allow you into this gated area to approach the ship for reboarding if you do not show photo ID along with your Sea Pass. Then, all you need to get onto the ship is your Sea Pass - when you insert it into the machine, your photo appears on a screen so the Cruiseline Security person can see if it's really you. Everyone, including infants, will need to use their sea pass to get onto and off of the ship.

Archived