Surcharge restaurant rules

tamarara65

• Administrators
If I eat at a surcharge restaurant does that only inclde one entree, app., and desert? Or can we order a second entree and desert in order to taste some different foods? Do they charge you more if you order more food??

This is one area in which the answer I've always received has been consistent -- maybe I've been lucky! ;) I always ask up front in the restaurant to be sure, and consistently I've been told that the surcharge covers one entree. You can order extra appetizers, salads, and desserts without any issue.

It's been a year since my last NCL cruise, though, so I stand to be corrected here if the policy has changed, and if so I want to know, too, for our Dawn cruise next April. :) I sure will miss my double escargot in Le Bistro if it's changed!

If I eat at a surcharge restaurant does that only inclde one entree, app., and desert? Or can we order a second entree and desert in order to taste some different foods? Do they charge you more if you order more food??

We were able to order additional main courses, that we split between us, with no extra charge at all.

Happy Cruising! :)

Our experience has been as many appetizers (multiple orders of escargots for me:D ), salads, sides and desserts as one could possibly eat but we've never asked for multiple entrees (except in Salsa's on the Dawn this June when we both ate Il Popo and lobster tacos and the lobster tacos were sooooo good we had seconds........

DH doesn't like "sharing" entrees but since we both tend to have the same foody tastes, we tend to order the same entree.

A lot depends on the waiter too. Last April on the Dawn we had dinner in Impressions and I couldn't decide between the lobster ravioli and something else. The waiter highly recommended the ravioli, but I ended up ordering something else. He still brought me a plate of the ravioli, "just to taste". I tasted it until it was gone. :) I was only charged for 1 entree.

I think if you order a prime rib, eat it, and then order a filet, or try ordering 2 entree's at the start, you'll get charged double.

I ate at Cagney's and I ordered the rib eye Steak for the main course. When I finished I then ordered the lobster tails as another main course. No extra charge. If you like shrimp, they have colossal shrimp as appetizers.

I was always under the impression that it was one entree.. thought the menu even said so.. but come to find out, the menu only mentions that of the extra charge meals in the speciality restaurants. ie. if you get surf and turf which has an additional charge on top of the charge to dine in the speciality restaurant. I have been told that is not true either, that no matter what you order you can have as much of anything as you want.

SSSOOOO.. would I count on being able to order as much of the entrees as you want? No. But is it possible.. Very likely it is.

It does not make a lot of sense to order more than one entree because the portions are so big - there's no way a human being could eat more than one, along with all the other courses.

One good idea is to have your dining partner order something different than you, and you can share each other's dishes to sample. Or, if you really liked the restaurant and saw something else you wanted, book a second visit.

It does not make a lot of sense to order more than one entree because the portions are so big - there's no way a human being could eat more than one, along with all the other courses.

One good idea is to have your dining partner order something different than you, and you can share each other's dishes to sample. Or, if you really liked the restaurant and saw something else you wanted, book a second visit.

Salty.. I'm going to tell you. I'm a big guy.. 300lbs.. and I could not agree with you more. In fact, usually by the time we get to the entree, no matter main dining room or speciality, I'm almost too full to eat my entree. But.. with that said. size does not always determine how much a person can eat..LOL.. we were at a buffet once and we saw this guy, thin as could be, literally eat 20+ full plates of food. We started watching him to see if he was stashing the food, but no.. he was eating every bite. That did not include the bowls of stuff he got or little plates of stuff. I have never seen anyone eat so much in my life. And I bet at the time I weighed 3x what he did.

with that said. size does not always determine how much a person can eat..LOL.. we were at a buffet once and we saw this guy, thin as could be, literally eat 20+ full plates of food.

It's true. Ever see the world record hot-dog eating competition winner? Skinny guy. Must have a hollow leg. My leg is reserved for alcohol!

It bears mention that in the main dining room, the food is very good and you may order as many entrees as you can eat. The portions are a bit smaller than the specialty restaurant but still substantial.

And of course there is also the buffet. Many courses served in the main dining room can also be found on the buffet. I used this to my advantage on the Pearl recently.

After dinner, I went to the buffet for a snack and found some dishes (soup, etc.) that I recognized from dinner but did not order (wanted to, just too much good stuff to choose from.)

So here's this huge kettle of seafood gumbo at the aft buffet and I just have to sample it when I see it.

I recommend regular fly-bys of the buffet. You never know what you may find!!

Archived