Journey 4/5/09; never cruised Azamara before

zachnlucy

Hi all,

Okay, I love afts. We were about to book a couple of 2As until I saw the thread about the afts 6090 and 6093. I'm ready to book them just due to the balcony size, but still wonder ... is it worth $500/pp to upgrade? Is the room any larger? Bathtub?

Also, no production numbers, but "cabaret" style? Just a couple of people playing instruments and a singer? Is that right? I don't care for the Broadway production numbers and don't usually go to them, but is there anything else in the evening?

Thanks!

Cindy

Okay, I love afts. We were about to book a couple of 2As until I saw the thread about the afts 6090 and 6093. I'm ready to book them just due to the balcony size, but still wonder ... is it worth $500/pp to upgrade? Is the room any larger? Bathtub?

Cindy

Hi Cindy!

My hubby and I are booked on this cruise! We are usually balcony cruisers but this time decided on a 4A. Why in the world? I'm sure you're asking... Well, I'm sure that it's going to be really cold for us at this time of year in Europe (we're from the South). And after wasting tons of money on a suite for Alaska when I literally stepped out onto the balcony TWICE we decided that we'd be conservative. Yes, I'm sure it's a decision I'll live to regret. :)

Any secrets about Azamara we should know about? This is our first time on this line and I've been scanning the threads looking for that little morsel of hidden info. I'm really tired of the size explosion of ships and we're looking forward to something more intimate. Did you think you'd ever see the day when you thought those older Royal Caribbean sisters Monarch, Majesty and Sovereign would start looking "intimate"? :D

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Juergen and Helen. You've seen some great places from the deck of a ship!

Hi Cindy!

My hubby and I are booked on this cruise! We are usually balcony cruisers but this time decided on a 4A. Why in the world? I'm sure you're asking... Well, I'm sure that it's going to be really cold for us at this time of year in Europe (we're from the South). And after wasting tons of money on a suite for Alaska when I literally stepped out onto the balcony TWICE we decided that we'd be conservative. Yes, I'm sure it's a decision I'll live to regret. :)

Any secrets about Azamara we should know about? This is our first time on this line and I've been scanning the threads looking for that little morsel of hidden info. I'm really tired of the size explosion of ships and we're looking forward to something more intimate. Did you think you'd ever see the day when you thought those older Royal Caribbean sisters Monarch, Majesty and Sovereign would start looking "intimate"? :D

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Juergen and Helen. You've seen some great places from the deck of a ship!

Just prepare to have a fabulous time..enjoy each day!!

Journey and Quest are very different from mass market ships and Viva La Difference!!!

Jancruz1

We are going to Europe so I don't think it will be possible NOT to have a great trip. I'm going to have to remember to breathe, though. Everyday in port going and going is sure to catch up with me. Has anyone done this particular itinerary? We thought that we'd stay on board while the ship docked in Slovenia but saw on TV the other night a wonderful castle built into the side of a mountain that's begging to be explored. So I'm destined to be exhausted, I guess!

I see you are from Nashville - we live in Franklin.

We sailed the Med last year (on a "big ship") in an oceanview and it was so port intensive like the Azamara cruises that we didnt' miss the balcony. We booked a Cat 4 for our 9/13/09 sailing on Journey in the Med - it only has 1 sea day and I know we'll be too tired to care about a balcony and the money will be better spent seeing and doing things.

Hope you have a great cruise and I look forward to reading your postings.

Kathy

I see you are from Nashville - we live in Franklin. We sailed the Med last year (on a "big ship") in an oceanview and it was so port intensive like the Azamara cruises that we didnt' miss the balcony. We booked a Cat 4 for our 9/13/09 sailing on Journey in the Med - it only has 1 sea day and I know we'll be too tired to care about a balcony and the money will be better spent seeing and doing things. Hope you have a great cruise and I look forward to reading your postings. Kathy

Kathy,

Hello fellow Middle Tennessean! Thanks for verifying that I'm not crazy in my thinking. I've wrestled back and forth with this decision and have committed to stick with it. I'd rather take the extra funds and go crazy shopping in Italy! :D I hear leather handbags and shoes calling my name. I'll keep you posted on the Journey. I'm already getting excited. Hold me back, people! ;)

Stacy

You've made a wise choice - I doubt you'll miss the balcony too much - we didn't except when getting ready in the evening . What cabin are you in? We've booked 4044 - I'll be interested in your reviews when you return.

There is definitely some great shopping in Italy - the money is much better spent trust me.

Have a great week-end - I'm enjoying the nice weather we're having this summer.

Kathy

We've booked cabin 4041. Definitely looking forward to it. Will certainly share my experiences when I return. ;)

Doing my research on ports now to decide what we're going to try and see. I'm concentrating on one main focus in each port (if I can) and saving some energy for a long day in Rome. There's so much to see there. I've been before but my hubby hasn't and I'd love for him to get a great taste of it.

Hi Drink in Hand,

We revisited Rome last October and used the "on-off" buses. We sat upstairs and the trip took two hours to do. We took wonderful photos and you can get off the bus at certain sights and then reboard after your sightseeing. This way your DH can decide which sights he is interested in doing more in depth. Can't see it all in one day.

Sheila

Thanks for the advice, Shoshona2!

We will probably end up going on the ship's tour because they seem to be hitting all the right "top" sights like the Colossuem, the Vatican (including Sistine Chapel) and the Trevi Fountain. If we can get all that done in one day--well, except for some real quality time at the Vatican--then that's probably what we'll do. And the price isn't far off from the private tours. But I'm loving the idea of the hop on-hop off bus. :D

I'll probably post this on the port of call board, but has anyone been to La Spezia before? It looks like this is Florence/Pisa but that's sure a lot of ground to cover in one day. Am I right? Thanks a bunch!

The Ho-Ho bus in Rome looks like a great idea. I have to say when we did Rome last year on a private tour we got a lot in for 1 day but we didn't end up with enough time at the Vatican. It can be quite crowded there.

La Spezia looks like it is a great jumping off point to do Cinque Terre - it's close and suppose to be a great place to visit. Florence is a bit further away.

Kathy

The Ho-Ho bus in Rome looks like a great idea. I have to say when we did Rome last year on a private tour we got a lot in for 1 day but we didn't end up with enough time at the Vatican. It can be quite crowded there.

La Spezia looks like it is a great jumping off point to do Cinque Terre - it's close and suppose to be a great place to visit. Florence is a bit further away.

Kathy

We did the Ho HO bus in Nov. in Rome 06....was NOT a double Decker...more like a trolley. After doing the trip around...we got off, did the Coll. and waited at the pick up point with another couple from our cruise (Didn't know each other) The gist of it was...they didn't come back...waited 2 1/2 hrs...finally they stopped with a tour bus coming back to the same company (Trolley broke down)...took us back to the office...and said "Sorry but it's now lunch for the next 2 hrs. " come back later if you want to ride more, it was already 2:30 pm....and we got no refund either! Glad you got better service but I'd go with a registered guide...like Stefano at Rome Cabs. Plus Trevi fountain is like 4-5 blocks to walk from the drop off site and if you have any trouble walking it's all cobblestones!, the limos will drive you right to the sites. Wished we'd paid the extra and did it right as we wasted the whole full day we had in Rome:mad:

Kathy

The Cinque Terra is literally 10 minutes by train from the main station in La Spezia. If you buy a day pass, you can ride up to the far end and spend the rest of the day working back. The villages and the views, not to mention the seafood for lunch are just priceless.

Archived