Ostentatious of the Seas

m steve

I don't see anything wrong with any line having a ship like this , just as long as they don't turn the whole fleet into a floating Disneyland.

There's going to be a certain market for this ship and it will be, as you said, mainly families. The ship will be the destination, so it won't matter one iota where the ship is sailing to. There will be enough to do on the ship that you never even have to get off.

The only thing I'm wondering about is if RCI will charge for many of those new diversions like the ziplining, rock walls, etc.? If so, that could put a crimp in their ability to fill the ship. That could get quite expensive for families whose kids will want to try all that stuff.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Everybody knocks what in my opinion is the greatest ship ever built. But I read that it has the largest first day booking of any new ship introduced. All of the Suites and JS's were sold out in the first hour of booking. If you don't want to sail on her don't.:eek:

That is a fair comment.

Sometimes though, when too many people drop in on a port at the same time, line-ups to the many venues and most popular attractions become ponderous. Streets become overcrowded. You can spend as much time in line-ups as you do visiting the various museums etc. I have seen it already. Also, when thousands of people invade a tourist destination at a time, I can't help but wonder if we strain our welcome a little bit with those who still have to get on with the day to day business of everyday living. If mini-population explosions are inconvenient to the tourist who is there for a few hours, imagine if you have to put up with that day after day.

There really are limits to growth. These "destinations in themselves" type of ships seem to appeal to people more interested in the charm and features of the ship rather than the appeal of the potential ports of call.

Maybe these really big vessels should just be sent out to sail in circles and leave port exploration to people who really enjoy it. :eek:

Oh absolutely.

I live an hour and a half away from NYC anc have been going there for many many years. I love the city :)

They have done a beautiful job cleaning it up. Years ago Central Park was Muggers Paradise , Times Square was Smut city and Grand Central Station was dumpy.

Today the park is such a beautiful place to go. Times Square is hopping with so many great stores ,restaurants, and atractions for the whole family, and GCS has been beautifully restored and has some nice stores and some really great restaurants and a food court.

Another success story is Bryant Park (behind the library on 5th avenue). 20 years ago it was a drug hang-out.

Of course we all owe Jackie Kennedy Onassis for her outstanding efforts to save Grand Central.

HI Neighbor :)

Actually I am in Stratford .

Not exactly the land of Paul and Joanne , Martha Stewart , and Regis *LOL*

But its still Fairfield County (as my tax bills will prove :()

Hi neighbors! We live north of New Haven. When we go to NYC, we normally take Metro-North from NH.

We're disappointed at HAL basically leaving New York as a port. We're even contemplating an CC cruise to Bermuda on NCL next year -- because we love Bermuda, but also because of the port.

Another success story is Bryant Park (behind the library on 5th avenue). 20 years ago it was a drug hang-out.

Of course we all owe Jackie Kennedy Onassis for her outstanding efforts to save Grand Central.

Bryant park is a beautiful little place :)

Plenty of places to sit and enjoy your lunch or just enjoy the day and people watch. They almost always have local musicians there playing . Occasionally one of the morning shows (GMA or Today) does a concert thing where they have "big name" performers do a free show and they play it on the air.

Jackie O, The Donald , and that Mrs Astor who died last year (she was like 105) did so much to ressurect so many things in the city.

Hi neighbors! We live north of New Haven. When we go to NYC, we normally take Metro-North from NH.

We're disappointed at HAL basically leaving New York as a port. We're even contemplating an CC cruise to Bermuda on NCL next year -- because we love Bermuda, but also because of the port.

Hey Neighbor :)

Ahhhh Good old New Haven :)

When I was going to SCSU (SCSC back then) Wooster Street was my cafeteria, and Toads Place was my Student Union (among others places) *LOL* Great Times :)

Oh Metro North is the way to go to get into the city. No aggravation and expense with parking and driving around.

DW and I took the Carnival Miracle out of NYC this past April with our DD and her friend. Had a wonderful time :)

But what was really great was driving an hour and a half to the pier :) No flights,, no airports and all their nonsense . It was wonderful

Hey Neighbor :)

Ahhhh Good old New Haven :)

When I was going to SCSU (SCSC back then) Wooster Street was my cafeteria, and Toads Place was my Student Union (among others places) *LOL* Great Times :)

Oh Metro North is the way to go to get into the city. No aggravation and expense with parking and driving around.

DW and I took the Carnival Miracle out of NYC this past April with our DD and her friend. Had a wonderful time :)

But what was really great was driving an hour and a half to the pier :) No flights,, no airports and all their nonsense . It was wonderful

I know a number of "Southern" grads, and one nephew is now going there.

We took the QM2 to the Carribbean a few years ago, the TA had a bus for all of us, that was great. (Cunard left from Manhattan then).

We took the Maasdam from Boston last year, parking at the Boston pier is safe and not that $$.

Wooster street . . . Pepe's or Sally's? ;)

I know a number of "Southern" grads, and one nephew is now going there.

We took the QM2 to the Carribbean a few years ago, the TA had a bus for all of us, that was great. (Cunard left from Manhattan then).

We took the Maasdam from Boston last year, parking at the Boston pier is safe and not that $$.

Wooster street . . . Pepe's or Sally's? ;)

Out of the two ? ....Pepe's

Even better than the both of them .....Zuppardi's in North Haven ...THE BEST IMO :)

Out of the two ? ....Pepe's

Even better than the both of them .....Zuppardi's in North Haven ...THE BEST IMO :)

I think you mean WEST Haven. Zuppardi's is very good, I still prefer Pepe's. But discussing Pizza around here is like discussing the Yankees and Red Sox . . . :D

I'm not sure why there seems to be a lot of sour grapes on this thread about the Oasis. Granted, its not for everybody, including myself. However, I happened upon the thread of people who booked the inaugural sailing and there's a lot of excitement and enthusiam there. Good for them!

Regardless of whether you would want to sail on it, you have to admit that strictly as a feat of engineering and design its very impressive.

The way I look at it, is that in any given week or sailing period the Oasis is booking passengers, that's some 5,000 less people looking to be on a cruise I would want to go on. Potentially then, better cabins and lower cost for me. In addition, I'm sure it will attract new cruisers who after they get a taste of a cruise vacation and decide they like it may be ready to book a more grown-up cruise experience down the road. Much like people who start with Carnival or the Voyager or Freedom class RCI ships and later move on (up) to HAL and Celebrity. Its those cruisers that will keep those lines going in the future. I hope its a big success!:cool:

I think you mean WEST Haven. Zuppardi's is very good, I still prefer Pepe's. But discussing Pizza around here is like discussing the Yankees and Red Sox . . . :D

Sorry I always get my Havens mixed up *LOL*

Red Sox .....Red Sox??????? Never heard of them , are they some type of sports team? *LOL* :) :) :)

There are online Oasis parties and a trade show planned for tomorrow and lots of folks are excited and joining in on the fun. I have to admit that the PR for this ship is tremendous so far. ;)

http://presentations.inxpo.com/Shows/ZiffDavisEnterprise/VTS/08-26-08/Website/home.htm

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=830720

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=831783

There's going to be a certain market for this ship and it will be, as you said, mainly families. The ship will be the destination, so it won't matter one iota where the ship is sailing to. There will be enough to do on the ship that you never even have to get off.

The only thing I'm wondering about is if RCI will charge for many of those new diversions like the ziplining, rock walls, etc.? If so, that could put a crimp in their ability to fill the ship. That could get quite expensive for families whose kids will want to try all that stuff.

Blue skies ...

--rita

There is no charge for Rock climbing, ice-skating, mini golf, ziplining, carousel etc...THere are nominal charges that differ for: Johnny Rockets, temp tatoos, Ben and Jerry's, candy store, donut shop, barber etc...

We are RCL cruisers, and think this innovative ship is amazing. Will we sail her and her future sister? Maybe, maybe not. We are happy on the Freedom class, which at 180,000 tons and 4,000 passengers is big enough for us at this time. We are waiting for quite a while for the hoopla to settle, the kinks to work out, and the comments to poor in, especially over on the RCCL board. THEN we may make a decision. We have 3 teens that are begging us to go in 2010, but I doubt it will happen.

To each his own, let's all remember this.

There is no charge for Rock climbing, ice-skating, mini golf, ziplining, carousel etc...THere are nominal charges that differ for: Johnny Rockets, temp tatoos, Ben and Jerry's, candy store, donut shop, barber etc...

We are RCL cruisers, and think this innovative ship is amazing. Will we sail her and her future sister? Maybe, maybe not. We are happy on the Freedom class, which at 180,000 tons and 4,000 passengers is big enough for us at this time. We are waiting for quite a while for the hoopla to settle, the kinks to work out, and the comments to poor in, especially over on the RCCL board. THEN we may make a decision. We have 3 teens that are begging us to go in 2010, but I doubt it will happen.

To each his own, let's all remember this.

I agree with you 100%. There's nothing wrong at all with a ship like this ... if that's what you look for in a cruise.

I realize there are no charges for those amenities like mini-golf, etc., now ... but I'm wondering if there will be on this new ship. My reasoning is that if the ship can't make too many ports (at least not right now), RCI will know that people will be content enjoying the ship and its amenities. I just wondered if they might institute charges for some of them in order to pump up onboard revenue and make up for the things they are losing by having such a big ship ... things like shore excursion sales, port shopping, etc. The very nature of this ship is gonna encourage passengers to just stay onboard even in those few ports it stops at. There will be so much to do there that it hardly would seem worth it, at least to me, to fight the crowds trying to get off and then trying to get around in a port city that now has maybe 15,000 people dumped in it because maybe there are four other ships in port with the Oasis that day.

So, I'm just wondering what RCI's plans are regarding some of the Oasis' amenities. It would seem to me that either the cost of cabins will have to be significantly higher, or there will have to be some added charges tacked on for some things.

Also, I'm with you regarding waiting to sail her. Ticket prices are too high when a ship is new. They are out of sight when it's an ignaural cruise. Let the novelty wear off, and the kinks get worked out, then sail the Oasis if you want to. The ticket prices will probably be a lot lower by then.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with you 100%. There's nothing wrong at all with a ship like this ... if that's what you look for in a cruise.

I realize there are no charges for those amenities like mini-golf, etc., now ... but I'm wondering if there will be on this new ship. My reasoning is that if the ship can't make too many ports (at least not right now), RCI will know that people will be content enjoying the ship and its amenities. I just wondered if they might institute charges for some of them in order to pump up onboard revenue and make up for the things they are losing by having such a big ship ... things like shore excursion sales, port shopping, etc. The very nature of this ship is gonna encourage passengers to just stay onboard even in those few ports it stops at. There will be so much to do there that it hardly would seem worth it, at least to me, to fight the crowds trying to get off and then trying to get around in a port city that now has maybe 15,000 people dumped in it because maybe there are four other ships in port with the Oasis that day.

So, I'm just wondering what RCI's plans are regarding some of the Oasis' amenities. It would seem to me that either the cost of cabins will have to be significantly higher, or there will have to be some added charges tacked on for some things.

Also, I'm with you regarding waiting to sail her. Ticket prices are too high when a ship is new. They are out of sight when it's an ignaural cruise. Let the novelty wear off, and the kinks get worked out, then sail the Oasis if you want to. The ticket prices will probably be a lot lower by then.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I totally agree with you, but I THINK for now, the activities I mentioned will stay free..your right though, who know's? What may be free on the Voyager and Freedom class ships can be a nonminal charge on the Genises class. I have received promo's in the mail, and my e-mails etc...months ago, it's truly an amazing ship. But you are right in thinking the prices are high. Yes they are. Not so high we could not afford it, but significantly higher yes. And the ports? St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Bahamas? Been their done that lots. Soooo...because the ship is a destination in itself, we would not get off at Bahamas for sure, and just most likely disembark at St. Maarten only...one of my favorite islands. When over 5,000 passengers getting off the ship that means more pool chairs and less people in the pool for me :D

Our friends just booked for April 2010, leaving their then 10 and 12 year old kids at home....... ??? I know, cruising at spreak break with out your own kids?? Again, like I say, to each his own, but if I were to cruise that ship over spring break and have to have thousands of kids all over the place I would surely want mine with me:confused::)

Oh yea, forgot to mention the flow rider.....free as well:)

Sorry I always get my Havens mixed up *LOL*

Red Sox .....Red Sox??????? Never heard of them , are they some type of sports team? *LOL* :) :) :)

Big series this week, last time the "some type of sports team" visits the old Yankee Stadium (and yes, I'm a Yankees fan) ;)

I'm not sure why there seems to be a lot of sour grapes on this thread about the Oasis. Granted, its not for everybody, including myself. However, I happened upon the thread of people who booked the inaugural sailing and there's a lot of excitement and enthusiam there. Good for them! /quote]

I've only been on 5 cruises, but in that time DW and I have noticed changes. Some are better (HAL mattresses), some are worse (seem to have less Dining Room Stewards).

Everything changes, and we live in a world of rapid change. Some of it I don't like, some of it I can ignore, some of it I can tolerate and some of it I can embrace. I think that applies to crusing as well as everything else in life.

The Oasis kind of ship is one change I'll ignore. :rolleyes:

My dd is dying to go on this ship and we would probably do it as a celebration of her graduating law school in the future. We are loyal HAL cruisers, but I think this ship would be interesting as a destination. I would not even get off at any of the ports and a 3-4 day cruise would be ample for me. :)

Did anyone else see the Oasis presentation yesterday?

I missed the live events, but looked at pictures and videos and I don't care much for the ship. Too big, too much like a land resort. when on a cruise I want to be on a ship.

Archived