Why is 3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat so hard for many to understand?

Binch

This is really basic math, but it sure seems like the vast majority of dieters just don't grasp it. People are constantly falling for false promises like "Oprah's Lose 30 lbs in 13 days" type thing.

For most people, that is just a physiological impossibility. Why? Because 30 lbs in 13 days equals maintaining a calorie deficit of over 8,000 calories PER DAY. So, if your basal metabolic need is 2000 calories, that means that in addition to not eating those (eg. eating NOTHING AT ALL) you'd also have to find a way to burn another 6000 calories. EVERY DAY! Consider that running is one of the best calorie-burning activities. Running one mile burns about 100 calories. So, to burn off 6000 calories, you'd have to run...60 miles. EVERY DAY. That's the equivalent of 2 1/2 marathons. Which would be impossible, especially if you'd eaten NOTHING to fuel that.

People who get taken in by scams like this do not lose anywhere near that amount of weight of course, leading to the inevitable cry that “diets don’t work”. I wish somehow there could be a crackdown or fraud charges filed against diet promoters who make false claims like this.

This is really basic math, but it sure seems like the vast majority of dieters just don't grasp it. People are constantly falling for false promises like "Oprah's Lose 30 lbs in 13 days" type thing.

For most people, that is just a physiological impossibility. Why? Because 30 lbs in 13 days equals maintaining a calorie deficit of over 8,000 calories PER DAY. So, if your basal metabolic need is 2000 calories, that means that in addition to not eating those (eg. eating NOTHING AT ALL) you'd also have to find a way to burn another 6000 calories. EVERY DAY! Consider that running is one of the best calorie-burning activities. Running one mile burns about 100 calories. So, to burn off 6000 calories, you'd have to run...60 miles. EVERY DAY. That's the equivalent of 2 1/2 marathons. Which would be impossible, especially if you'd eaten NOTHING to fuel that.

People who get taken in by scams like this do not lose anywhere near that amount of weight of course, leading to the inevitable cry that “diets don’t work”. I wish somehow there could be a crackdown or fraud charges filed against diet promoters who make false claims like this.

Your commentary was EXCELLENT. You know what else bugs me? Those magazines at the checkout stand and all of those claims. They'll have big blazing bold letters that read "LOSE 16 POUNDS IN ONE WEEK!" or some such claim, then when you read the actual article, it says, "some participants have lost up to 16 lbs. in one week." Translation: ANYTHING over zero pounds. 2 ounces is "up to 16 pounds". Isn't that crazy? There is always some crazy claim and crazy plan. Why? Because we are a country with an obesity problem and we are desperate for help and answers and there is money to be made from our desperation. Enterprising companies take advantage of our desires to lose weight by making claims and those claims sell magazines, products, plans, etc. I've got a stack of those magazines. To make matters worse, they stick some photos and recipes for ooey-gooey chocolate cake right in there with the amazing weight loss claims. That's just plain torturous. I bet if most of us were to admit it, we've been suckered by some such thing at one time or another. I have always understood the 3500 calories = l lb. concept, but that didn't stop me from trying various things like chroma-slim, appetite suppressants (once...yuck), those things back in the 80's that cause the fat to not be absorbed, hence the potty trips, etc.

Because people don't want to have to change what they are doing. they want things to be easy. They don't WANT to have to exercise, eat real food instead of greasy or processed crap and when a new thing comes out and is marketed or passed around the office they'll grasp to do short term that promises to drop pounds quick. How the heck else do you explain the Cabbage Soup diet? however, it was easy and real change, although lasting, is hard.

It's not the only area though. There are many things in life that I look at and ask myself how otherwise seemingly intelligent people can miss.

Oh well, when I am perfect I shall worry about others. Right now I'd just like to be able to exercise without pain. I get to have foot surgery next month! Too much fun! It's amazing how one messed up bone can throw off your whole exercise routine.:rolleyes:

Tami

I think part of the confusion is that it's not "3500 calories = 1 pound," it's "3500 calories = 1 pound of FAT" (just like the OP said). You certainly can lose more than one pound without the 3500-calorie deficit, it's just not all fat that you're losing. In order to lose one pound of FAT you have to have a 3500-calorie deficit. But there are lots of crash diets where it really is possible to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time, but people don't realize (or don't care) that they're losing water weight or lean muscle more than they're losing fat.

Tami- I hope your foot surgery goes well and that you have a speedy recovery! :)

It's hard for people to understand because they don't understand they didn't get fat overnight. They think it just sorta happened one day.

The diet industry keeps getting richer and people keep getting fat. Nobody wants to do the hard work because "it's too much work". Nobody wants to take the time to learn proper nutrition, slow down and cook or plan meals, etc. Big deal..everyone has the same amount of time in the day. It's priorities and a combination of just plain laziness and whining, IMO.

It's hard for people to understand because they don't understand they didn't get fat overnight. They think it just sorta happened one day.

The diet industry keeps getting richer and people keep getting fat. Nobody wants to do the hard work because "it's too much work". Nobody wants to take the time to learn proper nutrition, slow down and cook or plan meals, etc. Big deal..everyone has the same amount of time in the day. It's priorities and a combination of just plain laziness and whining, IMO.

Yes, everyone has the same amount of time in each day (24 hours), but where do you get your facts? Where does it say that "nobody wants to do the hard work...nobody wants to take the time to learn proper nutrition...a combination of just plain laziness and whining..."??? This statement is not true. I am a very hard worker and the schedule in my life is very hectic. Just because I want to make a living for myself and I'm busy all the time doesn't mean that I'm lazy...it means I'm living a very productive life. You should be more careful when judging other people...they don't always have the same lifestyle as you do. Everyone is different...I think you should be more aware of that.

Your right. We do have 24 hours in a day. Just because I want to make a loving for myself and I'm busy all the time doesn't mean that I'm lazy. It means I'm living a productive life. Guess I need to have some cheese with my whine!

Yes, everyone has the same amount of time in each day (24 hours), but where do you get your facts? Where does it say that "nobody wants to do the hard work...nobody wants to take the time to learn proper nutrition...a combination of just plain laziness and whining..."??? This statement is not true. I am a very hard worker and the schedule in my life is very hectic. Just because I want to make a living for myself and I'm busy all the time doesn't mean that I'm lazy...it means I'm living a very productive life. You should be more careful when judging other people...they don't always have the same lifestyle as you do. Everyone is different...I think you should be more aware of that.

Your right. We do have 24 hours in a day. Just because I want to make a loving for myself and I'm busy all the time doesn't mean that I'm lazy. It means I'm living a productive life. Guess I need to have some cheese with my whine!

So you're only defense is to mock me? If you're going to mock me, at least proof read before you post. There is no need for you to be so rude. You make a statement in your original post that I did not agree with. And speaking of that statement, since when are you the speaker for all people...and how do you know that:

"its hard for people to understand they didn't get fat overnight. They think it just sorta happened one day"

??? Did you take a poll or do research on this topic? I'd really like to know how you know ALL people do this. I responded to this statement with the question of where do you get your information, because it is incorrect. And your response is to pick a fight and mock me? Why? What have I done that was so disrespectful that you have to act like a child? I simply asked a question. You could give a simple answer...OR you could just be a child and act the way you are now.

The FDA at one time tried to go after these companies that made false statements about their weight loss products; however the companies had smart attorneys who knew the law and told the companies to call their weight loss products supplements. The FDA has no authority over vitamins and vitamin supplements. When these companies advertise they document in very fine print that results are not typical. I use to believe that I was not typical so they would work for me. When I started dieting I was a size 7 and yo yo dieted myself to a size 14. Fad diets don't work and a lot of us had to learn that the hard way. I am now a size 12 and in some clothes a size 10. The weight is coming off pound by pound slowly. I learned that 3500 cal = 1 lb and there is no magic or secret weapon out there that can change that. The only successful weapon for weight loss is to burn more calories than you consume; 3500 cal for every lb you wish to loose. I learned that the very very hard and costly way. It cost me 7 sizes and $1,000s of $.

Well said Mommy4lyfe! :)

Debbie

The FDA at one time tried to go after these companies that made false statements about their weight loss products; however the companies had smart attorneys who knew the law and told the companies to call their weight loss products supplements. The FDA has no authority over vitamins and vitamin supplements. When these companies advertise they document in very fine print that results are not typical. I use to believe that I was not typical so they would work for me. When I started dieting I was a size 7 and yo yo dieted myself to a size 14. Fad diets don't work and a lot of us had to learn that the hard way. I am now a size 12 and in some clothes a size 10. The weight is coming off pound by pound slowly. I learned that 3500 cal = 1 lb and there is no magic or secret weapon out there that can change that. The only successful weapon for weight loss is to burn more calories than you consume; 3500 cal for every lb you wish to loose. I learned that the very very hard and costly way. It cost me 7 sizes and $1,000s of $.

Well said. It goes back to the old fashioned way that so many people don't want to do. Everyone wants a quick fix. Nobody gained the weight overnight, can't expect to lose it overnight.

You guys shouldnt take thing so personal..when people use the terms nobody,everybody,everyone,no one..its usually generalized embellishment..not personal attacks.

Well, I don't think that everyone should be put into a stereotype. Not everyone is alike, and therefore it shouldn't be generalized. I don't think things should be stated as facts if you don't have the evidence. I especially think this in this particular situation because weight loss/weight gain is such a personal thing and each person is very very different. What happens to one person is not necessarily going to happen to the next, so why put everyone in the same category?

Excellent point! Opinions don't require research, either. They are just someone's thoughts about something that don't have to be shared by anyone.

You guys shouldnt take thing so personal..when people use the terms nobody,everybody,everyone,no one..its usually generalized embellishment..not personal attacks.

1lb= 3500 calories. Yes, however other factors come into play such as metabolic rate. There are many variables that affect metabolism such as muscle mass and hormones. If it were not true no one would experience a plateau in their weight loss. My personal experience has been that I am "ok" with my weight up to a point and then I reach the point where I have to do something... that's why it seems like it occurs all of a sudden.. just like when I need my hair colored or cut... one day it's ok, and then the next I need an immediate intervention!!

I'm the same way..ok to a certain point..if the size 10 jeans no longer fit then I refuse to buy a 12..I just cut back until they fit again.

1lb= 3500 calories. Yes, however other factors come into play such as metabolic rate. There are many variables that affect metabolism such as muscle mass and hormones. If it were not true no one would experience a plateau in their weight loss. My personal experience has been that I am "ok" with my weight up to a point and then I reach the point where I have to do something... that's why it seems like it occurs all of a sudden.. just like when I need my hair colored or cut... one day it's ok, and then the next I need an immediate intervention!!

1lb= 3500 calories. Yes, however other factors come into play such as metabolic rate.
This does not change the fact that 1 pound of human fat contains 3500 calories worth of energy, however.
If it were not true no one would experience a plateau in their weight loss.
If what were not true? "Weight loss plateau" is another popular diet myth. The perception/belief that one is stuck at a certain weight "no matter how much I diet" always ends up being the result of 1) person is cheating on their diet and lying to themselves 2) Exercise is building muscle, so that while weight stays the same, body fat is still steadily decreasing.

In short, you can't cheat the math. Burn (or don't eat) 500 calories a day less than your body needs, and you WILL lose about a pound of fat a week. That's just a mathematical fact.

This does not change the fact that 1 pound of human fat contains 3500 calories worth of energy, however.

If what were not true? "Weight loss plateau" is another popular diet myth. The perception/belief that one is stuck at a certain weight "no matter how much I diet" always ends up being the result of 1) person is cheating on their diet and lying to themselves 2) Exercise is building muscle, so that while weight stays the same, body fat is still steadily decreasing.

In short, you can't cheat the math. Burn (or don't eat) 500 calories a day less than your body needs, and you WILL lose about a pound of fat a week. That's just a mathematical fact.

I think here in lies the problem. As you lose weight your body needs less calories and you need to continually adjust down how many calories you are eating or adjust up the number of calories you are burning doing exercise to continue to lose weight. Once you have reached your goal weight you need to monitor your calorie intake and burning for what your body needs at that weight. That is why people "get stuck at a certain weight". They do not realize they need to adjust their calorie intake/burning to what their weight currently is - not what it was when they started to lose weight.

An opinion is merely someone's thoughts about an idea. It doesn't have to be backed up by research and one's opinion doesn't have to be shared with anyone.

Please, everyone is trying to stay on this interesting topic of the 3500 calories theme. And everyone here is sharing diverse opinions, and not everyone is using research to defend what they think about the original post.

Binch: I really like what you said about not cheating the math. It is hard to cheat logic, for sure.

Think what you want to think...Your original statement, or what you call an "opinion," is still incorrect.

An opinion is merely someone's thoughts about an idea. It doesn't have to be backed up by research and one's opinion doesn't have to be shared with anyone.

Please, everyone is trying to stay on this interesting topic of the 3500 calories theme. And everyone here is sharing diverse opinions, and not everyone is using research to defend what they think about the original post.

Binch: I really like what you said about not cheating the math. It is hard to cheat logic, for sure.

Burning 3500 calories = 1 pound is a FACT. Your "opinion" in your first post is stated as a fact, as if you know exactly what the diet industry is doing and what their mentality is. Then you go on to say that your "opinion" is that all people are lazy. I take offense to that, because all people are NOT lazy. How can you just categorize everyone into one group, especially when you do not have facts to back it up? In order to have an opinion about something, you kind of need to know some facts about it first, which apparently you do not. Opinions still need to have logic to them, which yours does not. You show your ignorance by stating things as fact, when they are not. Then you go back and say "it was my opinion" to cover your ass. Then, you choose to start mocking me in your subsequent posts. And now that I've called you out on it, asking you your basis behind your "opinion" was, all of a sudden you want to go back to the original topic? You never ONCE have answered my question. You avoid it every time, in every thread. If you don't know the answer, then just say you don't know.

... I take offense to that, ...you choose to start mocking me...I've called you out... You never ONCE have answered my question
Wow. Just...wow.

When the supermarket checkout girl closes her lane just as it's your turn, you must really have a meltdown. She did it in puuurpose. Just to spiiite me!

Wow. Just...wow.

When the supermarket checkout girl closes her lane just as it's your turn, you must really have a meltdown. She did it in puuurpose. Just to spiiite me!

Well, when you edit it like that, of course it doesn't sound great...but I'm really tired of people putting their "opinion" out there as if its facts. A lot of people come on to these forums looking for answers to their questions, and then when people put ignorant statements out there for people to read, I just don't think that it's right. When I come onto the "Lose Before Your Cruise" I expect to get useful advice from people with experience. But instead, I keep reading these statements that say "all people are lazy", or "all people are fat", "people don't want to take the time to plan meals..." and so on. All these statement are not true. How would you feel coming on here to get helpful advice and that's what you see in every thread out there? I'm just tired of seeing it...that's all.

Further, I think it is extremely childish to come onto a forum and mock people just because you don't have something more intelligent to say (this is not directed at you Binch), and to do it on more than one thread is unacceptable. Grow up.

Archived