Rum purchases in Grand Cayman

gkrnjlr

I've read online that if you purchase rum in Grand Cayman that it's extremely inexpensive. BUT.....you have to make your purchases two hours prior to the ship's departure because they deliver it to the ship instead of you carrying it with you.

1. Has anyone actually experienced this? Is this true?

2. Just how inexpensive is their rum? How much are we talking?

Thanks!

I've read online that if you purchase rum in Grand Cayman that it's extremely inexpensive. BUT.....you have to make your purchases two hours prior to the ship's departure because they deliver it to the ship instead of you carrying it with you.

Thanks!

appleton was alot cheaper than in jamacia

and I believe several stores said it was an hour before departure to carry purchases back onto the ship with you

I had purchased 5 bottles of a name brand rum for under $20, however, it was never delivered to the ship. This last time I was in GC I insisted on taking my Rim with me. Just make sure you buy from a reputable place, but even that doesn't always work out (I had bought mine from a cruise ship recommended store). Needless to say, I plan to buy more rum when I'm in GC again this November.

Thanks!

Yes, we bought rum at a very good price and it was delivered to the ship, and subsequently to our cabin on the afternoon before we returned to Miami. I can not remember the specific price, but it was a great value. I believe we bought it at the Tortuga Rum Cake shop.

Mike

So are the odds of it showing up on the ship pretty good or is it probably not going to get delivered? Is there a way to confirm when we pull out that night that it made it to the ship?

I'll have to check into the rum in Grand Cayman! Thanks!

I'm going to be buying for my sister.....how would you define "very good" for the price?

AND can I simply pay to have it shipped home without having to pay duty? Or does it need to go back to the ship?

Thanks!

The place in Grand Cayman is called Tortuga Rum there is a shop right near the dock. They deliver it to the ship and you will receive it the evening before departure, we did not have any issue with this, although it was kinda weird paying for liquor and walking out of the store empty handed. I don't remember the exact prices but it was very good and the rum is awesome.

You have to bring liquor back in checked baggage. You can have up to 5 liters in a bag, none of it over 140 proof. Alcohol will not be allowed in carryon. Please wrap bottles in bubble wrap because it is easily broken with the way luggage in handled.:eek: Hope this helps.

I had a friend who packed his liquor in a pair of kids water wings/floaters (inflated of course) and that worked good for cushioning. Incidentally, the place I had purchased my Rum that was not delivered was at the shop mentioned above. Apparently, they didn't make there delivery to our ship or the other ship that was tendering that day.

Archived