Ruby Princess vs. Brilliance of the Seas

Emaldy24

My family is first time cruisers and we are planning a Europe cruise in June 2009 with guests with varied ages 8, 17, 18, 33, 34, 36, 80. I have read about both lines and haven't heard much negative. The intineraries are very similar with minimum differences one has more Greece ports. I am really torn. I want to make sure everyone is happy. The Princess cruise for two cabins is about 1000 less...:confused:

You are picking a great first cruise! That still a dream cruise for us!

You cannot go wrong with either class! We love both Royal and Princess! Just an opinion, if you are looking at a port intensive itinerary go for Princess (based on price) if you will have a lot of days at sea go with Brilliance because spending a lot of time on that ship is worth it! (georgeous ship, has a lot of glass!) However, Ruby is brand new!! Whatever your choice you will love both and your family will be addicted!

Have a great time, lived in Europe for two years and Greece is one of my favorite places!! Of course, have not been there for 20 plus years!!

The 8 year old will love Adventure Ocean (RCCL) and Shockwaves JR (Princess)!!

This is a dream trip for us but I thought with a year advance notice it would be plenty of time to save. My son is graduating from high school and is a huge history buff and my grandmother's only dream is to go to the Vatican and since she will be 80 next year I thought it was time she went.

Thank you so much for your feedback. Princess is about 1000 less but I was worried it wasn't going to have enough kids stuff. But I am hearing the Princess kids club although not publicized as much as Royal is a very good program.

My grandfather is from Italy and I have a picture of him with the Pope(he passed away when I was 16-very long time ago:o) I always said I would go back one day...

Yes, Princess has a great kid program and my 8 year old loves it! The teen (15 tomorrow) loves Royal because he is the enthusiast! Parents love either one, we are just so happy to be spoiled!

If you happen to see cruise critic member, Celebrat, you must see the review she posted on her recent cruise with her family! She has the best written review and best photos!

Have a fantastic cruise! Welcome to cruise critic!!

Thanks for the trip I will look to see if I can find it.

Your feedback as been very helpful as my biggest concern was not having enough items for my daughter to do but it seems it will work just fine.

Of course as an adult I've always dreamed of going to Europe well Greece is my dream and then Italy so I can appreciate the scenery, beauty, history of Europe but since she is so young I'm afraid she isn't going to appreciate that aspect and want to make sure it's a pleasant experience for her too. I'm talking with her and telling her the places we are going to go and am planning in the next couple of months to buy a book of Europe so she can see all the places we are going to see so she can get excited.

Thank you again for all your help...It is appreciated!

Idy

If you want a teen's first hand account of Brilliance Med cruise, I know one who just came back. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=827465

Ricardo is a pretty good kid. He will be happy to give you his opinion from the teen point of view. :)

And I agree about the Celbrat review - incredible! So much info, I felt like I was there. ;)

My family is first time cruisers and we are planning a Europe cruise in June 2009 with guests with varied ages 8, 17, 18, 33, 34, 36, 80. I have read about both lines and haven't heard much negative. The intineraries are very similar with minimum differences one has more Greece ports. I am really torn. I want to make sure everyone is happy. The Princess cruise for two cabins is about 1000 less...:confused:

I'm here....Michele told me about this thread....

Well...we were in the Brilliance 12 night Med siling from Barcelona on July 4th, 2008.

The ship is really awesome...I have been in 4 different RCI ships from 4 different classes and this one can certainly run for "The Best of the Fleet" as many Brilliance cruisers say....

She is beautiful, wonderful food, friendly crew(the best ever), ICREDIBLE ITINERARY(loved the Greek Islands).

Very good for all the ages with different entertainment options all day long for all ages(including those for all the family:) )...

Well....I'm still working on my review but I have more than a half posted...It might help since I posted some pictures and funny stories...:D ;) :cool:

Any doubt just ask me:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=820569

Idy,

Here is Celebrats review as well!!

Ricardo and Michele, thank you! I'd love to have a teens prospective, too! Ricardo your review is superb!

Idy, I couldn't find a review on Princess with family! ;) Let us know what you decide to do!!!

Thank you all very much...Ricardo your review was just what I needed. I have been in between 3 ships and I think that this has cemented my decision. Although I am going on another itinerary your reports of the boat were very helpful. We have booked an Oceanview Family Stateroom based on your statement we must have a window on such a long cruise. I think that this is definately the best cruise for us to the med.

Again your review was invaluable I'm sure my 8 year old and 17 year old are going to be very happy.;)

• 1 month later...

Archived