traveling with grandchildren

In addition to passports do children need written permission from both patents to travel outside the US? I think I remember reading about this related to the problem of one parent taking the kids out of the country to hide them. I am considering travel with a grandchild and wondering how difficult it will be.

It's not difficult at all. Have their passports, and have a written permission slip noterized . Both parents have to sign it. I just took my two grands to Jamiaca prior to the trip the TA sent a form to the parents.

Have fun

We took a friend along for our daughter and we had a notarized letter signed by both parents stating that we had permission to take her out of the country. We also had a letter giving us temporary guardianship while she was with us so we could make any medical decisions should the need arise (and we couldn't get in touch with her parents). We also had a form that listed all medication she was taking and anything she was allergic to.

I carried copies of these with me when we were in ports. I had read here that sometimes passengers might be asked for this paperwork when getting off/on the ship. We were not asked, but I had it with me. It seemed like a lot of work getting all the paperwork notarized...but beyond that, there were no other things we had to do and we had a wonderful time. :)

We took our daughters friend with us on our cruise in April (though not HAL)

We took along all the papers Twinkletoes mentioned .

When we checked in at Embarkation , they asked for all the papers for the girl, and then that was it. We never had to show them again getting on or off the ship the rest of the cruise.

Some people have posted in their experience that they didn't even have to show their papaers at embarkation. But its certainly better to have them than not.

ENJOY:)

Make sure you get something in writting authorizing you to get medical treatment for the kids.

We hope nothing happens but you need this just in case. If they take any medications carry an original piull bottle with RX on it.

Have a great trip

Ruth & Jim

Archived