Gustav

christinabeena

Did you see how fast this storm intensified??

At 11am EST this morning, it was a Tropical Depression at 35mph winds, now at 2pm EST its a strong Tropical Storm with 60mph winds.....DANG!!:eek:

Should have hurricane very soon! It will probably be around the Southern tip of Florida Sunday evening....so I think my cruise is safe with this one since we leave a week later out of Orlando.

Unless it slows down and zig zags like Fay....then crap

Sheer curiosity.....what happens if it stalls out in the Gulf of Mexico? What happens to all the sailings out of Tampa and Mobile?

I know that cruiselines try not to cancel a cruise.......but that's what we're wondering.

We don't sail until the 7th so I don't think this one will affect us but IF it were to stall it could possibly affect us. Doubtful, though. :confused:

Ohhh Boyyy !! Not another one! I live in Miami, FL - so unfortunately have to deal with these things constantly. Not too mention Fay was a little B*tch, she didn't hit us direclty, but caused alot of disruption and lots of rain last week.

I am also scheduled to leave on the Fascination on Friday, for a 3 day bahamas cruise. Do you know what will happen if the storm affects are path? Will we be detoured somewhere else? Key West would probably be the only option and chances are both places will be affected? Help!

I know its a LONG SHOT...but im hoping my 4 day Bahama cruise on the 7th (Freeport, Nassau) gets disrupted and...

They take us to GRAND TURK!!!

Come on....Sea Day, Grand Turk, Sea Day...it could WORK!!

Sheer curiosity.....what happens if it stalls out in the Gulf of Mexico? What happens to all the sailings out of Tampa and Mobile?

I know that cruiselines try not to cancel a cruise.......but that's what we're wondering.

We don't sail until the 7th so I don't think this one will affect us but IF it were to stall it could possibly affect us. Doubtful, though. :confused:

Basically they would slow the ship down if it cannot go around. If it still cannot get into port, they will find an alternative port to dis-embark the passengers at. Good news would be you get a day or two extra onboard. Bad news would be flights back to get your car.

Dave

Did you see how fast this storm intensified??

At 11am EST this morning, it was a Tropical Depression at 35mph winds, now at 2pm EST its a strong Tropical Storm with 60mph winds.....DANG!!:eek:

Should have hurricane very soon! It will probably be around the Southern tip of Florida Sunday evening....so I think my cruise is safe with this one since we leave a week later out of Orlando.

Unless it slows down and zig zags like Fay....then crap

This thing is going to be a beast with it intensifying so quickly! I too leave next weekend out of Orlando (9/6). Gustov better be long gone!

So....Carnival could "drop us" someplace and WE need to find a way back to Tampa?

How often do cruises actually get canceled?

It actually is not common for a cruise to be cancelled. If they have to go to another port, they usually will bus you to the other port especially in FL as they are so close. For the Holiday, Tampa or Galveston depending on where the storm is going and if the port is damaged.

For those with flights, they would work with you on getting your flights rescheduled. For your cruise, I dont see it being affected other than if one of the ports gets hit. It is the folks on the sailing before yours that might get diverted or have their ports of call altered.

Dave

It actually is not common for a cruise to be cancelled. If they have to go to another port, they usually will bus you to the other port especially in FL as they are so close. For the Holiday, Tampa or Galveston depending on where the storm is going and if the port is damaged.

For those with flights, they would work with you on getting your flights rescheduled. For your cruise, I dont see it being affected other than if one of the ports gets hit. It is the folks on the sailing before yours that might get diverted or have their ports of call altered.

Dave

Yeah I don't think ours would be affected but a part of me wouldn't mind seeing us re-directed and doing an eastern caribbean itinerary! I'll be happy with wherever we go!

Okay...I am scheduled to leave Friday. Just got home and the news has Miami and Nassau in the "cone" of the storm.

Question - if they were to detour us, what places would be options? It's only a 3 day, so I am assuming nowhere too far. Also, one person in my party is still using the birth certificate instead of passport method to travel - soo I am also assuming we cannot go anywhere else besides Bahamas or Key West? Anybody know if we can still go anywhere else without passports?

Even scarier...we leave this SATURDAY with stops in GRAND CAYMAN and COZUMEL. Is it just me or that its exact projected path?:eek:

We leave Saturday also with stops in Progreso and Cozumel. We will be in Cozumel the same day as you. There are several paths shown but this is the official one from the NOAA.

Dave

203213W_sm.gif

Okay...I am scheduled to leave Friday. Just got home and the news has Miami and Nassau in the "cone" of the storm.

Question - if they were to detour us, what places would be options? It's only a 3 day, so I am assuming nowhere too far. Also, one person in my party is still using the birth certificate instead of passport method to travel - soo I am also assuming we cannot go anywhere else besides Bahamas or Key West? Anybody know if we can still go anywhere else without passports?

You can still cruise anywhere without passports - it's flying and driving to places that you need a passport.

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

* CURRENTLY:

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

* LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

From: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Archived