Gustav

christinabeena

I'm kind of wondering where the Ecstasy would sail to. We're scheduled for a 4 pm departure Monday (hoping it will leave) but where would she said to with Gustav pretty much taking over the entire area between Galveston and Cozumel/Progresso?

When will Carnival make the decision to change the itinerary? If, so, when will we find out about the change? I can't find anything on the Carnival website. The itinerary change really doesn't bother me, I'd just like to know. I'm happy just being on a cruise!

When will Carnival make the decision to change the itinerary? If, so, when will we find out about the change? I can't find anything on the Carnival website. The itinerary change really doesn't bother me, I'd just like to know. I'm happy just being on a cruise!

I am with you on that. Its fine if I can't go to Western Caribbean, but I want to know the ports of call that I am going to instead.

Also in terms of Excurisions, if you book them in advance and than don't go how do you get that refunded?

And.....

if the islands or ports of call are "trashed" from the hurricane....do we still get sent there?

Or is this a question for the main boards since not everyone follows/reads the hurricane board?

then they will either cancel the port or send you to a new one. That is what happend on our honeymoon cruise....we went right after a big hurricane and missed grand caymen since it was pretty damaged...we almost missed jamaica... but as we were driving through there it was severly damaged

That's what I have been wondering! Thanks for answering.

I just hope that Gustav doesn't do too much damage to Grand Cayman. I'm really looking forward to going there. I wonder if they'd cancel it or just replace another port. What else is "right there" that they usually consider?

We have an excursion booked in Grand Cayman already, too!

Thanks!

And.....

if the islands or ports of call are "trashed" from the hurricane....do we still get sent there?

Or is this a question for the main boards since not everyone follows/reads the hurricane board?

You wont be sent to the port if it is damaged as that would be endangering you. They will either send you to another port of call or make it a seaday.

A lot of times these will be last minute decisions that you will not find out until after you sail. You just have to go hoping for the best but expecting the worst. You learn in time that there are things in life you have no control of.

What you make of it is what counts. For some it will be the worst experiance of their lifes. Others like me go with the flow and seek out the positives.

Dave

I am with you on that. Its fine if I can't go to Western Caribbean, but I want to know the ports of call that I am going to instead.

Also in terms of Excurisions, if you book them in advance and than don't go how do you get that refunded?

Your refund can be applied as a credit towards another excursion or refunded back to your credit card.

Dave

Ah....so we'll learn more as we sail! Got'cha.

Even if it turns into a sea day that's fine with us! Will they credit the shore excursion back to our S&S account?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~

Disregard! You were posting your answer as I was asking this question!

well, as said before, I'm leaving on the Carinval Legend out of tampa this Sunday. I was looking at it on the ship tracker, and I see they changed the ships schedule this week.

The ship's normal schedule is Sunday to sunday

Monday day at sea

Tuesday Grand cayman

Wednesday Cozumel

Thrusday Belize

Friday isle rotan

Saturday day at sea

But according to the tracker they went

Monday day at sea

Tuesday Grand Cayman

Wednesday Isle Rotan (today)

So I can only assume they switched the order, that way on saturday they would be closer to tampa and possibly be able to stay ahead of the storm.

I just hope that Gustav doesn't do too much damage to Grand Cayman. I'm really looking forward to going there. I wonder if they'd cancel it or just replace another port. What else is "right there" that they usually consider?

A lot of it depends on availability of ports and what other ports you've already visited - i.e. what other ships are looking for spaces as well. Your itinerary could be completely switched around if a port is out of commission. For example, say you embark on Saturday, with a Monday visit at Jamaica, a Tuesday visit at Grand Cayman, and a Wednesday visit at Cozumel - that could be switched around so you visit Cozumel on Tuesday, and Belize on Wednesday. When Cozumel was damaged by Wilma, you saw a lot of ships get diverted to Costa Maya, while others ended up at Progreso, Roatan, Belize etc. or with a sea day. But due to other ships, crowding Costa Maya, we ended up switching our day in Cozumel and losing our Costa Maya stop (the opposite of what other cruises did) in favor of a stop at Progreso. When Costa Maya was destroyed, a lot of ships just ended up with an extra sea day.

When hurricane season heats up, it becomes a shell game with stuff constantly moving around.

well, as said before, I'm leaving on the Carinval Legend out of tampa this Sunday. I was looking at it on the ship tracker, and I see they changed the ships schedule this week.

The ship's normal schedule is Sunday to sunday

Monday day at sea

Tuesday Grand cayman

Wednesday Cozumel

Thrusday Belize

Friday isle rotan

Saturday day at sea

But according to the tracker they went

Monday day at sea

Tuesday Grand Cayman

Wednesday Isle Rotan (today)

So I can only assume they switched the order, that way on saturday they would be closer to tampa and possibly be able to stay ahead of the storm.

About a month ago I got an email about that itinerary change....and it's effective on all sailings through October 5, 2008. I don't think that change is due to Gustav.

A lot of it depends on availability of ports and what other ports you've already visited - i.e. what other ships are looking for spaces as well. Your itinerary could be completely switched around if a port is out of commission. For example, say you embark on Saturday, with a Monday visit at Jamaica, a Tuesday visit at Grand Cayman, and a Wednesday visit at Cozumel - that could be switched around so you visit Cozumel on Tuesday, and Belize on Wednesday. When Cozumel was damaged by Wilma, you saw a lot of ships get diverted to Costa Maya, while others ended up at Progreso, Roatan, Belize etc. or with a sea day. But due to other ships, crowding Costa Maya, we ended up switching our day in Cozumel and losing our Costa Maya stop (the opposite of what other cruises did) in favor of a stop at Progreso. When Costa Maya was destroyed, a lot of ships just ended up with an extra sea day.

When hurricane season heats up, it becomes a shell game with stuff constantly moving around.

We've sailed during hurricane season before but have never had anything out there close to our sailings!

Should be interesting!

Are there ever people on the ship that get ticked off and throw a tantrum about changes being made?

Are there ever people on the ship that get ticked off and throw a tantrum about changes being made?

Absolutely - happens almost every time a ship has to make any kind of itinerary change. We even had somebody on these boards get mad because their itinerary did not change. If your itinerary does change, for some fun, go watch the people complaining down at the purser's desk.

Absolutely - happens almost every time a ship has to make any kind of itinerary change. We even had somebody on these boards get mad because their itinerary did not change. If your itinerary does change, for some fun, go watch the people complaining down at the purser's desk.

LOL!!! Just adds to the entertainment, huh?

Well, we're watching Gustav carefully too. One, I live too close to the projected path for comfort, so need to be prepared; and two, we're headed in the other direction to Alaska and will be flying out on the 6th. Hopefully, it will have done it's deed and be gone by then.

Anyone know what those cyclone things are>>

Depending on their location and strength, tropical cyclones are referred to by other names, such as hurricane, typhoon, tropical storm, cyclonic storm, tropical depression and simply cyclone.

Dave

Archived