Ports of Call for The Oasis

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's safe to say the overwhelming majority of people who will be booking the Oasis could care less where the ship is going. I know that's the case with us.

That's probably a good thing if the ship is unable to reach a port or two due to hurricane or tropical weather systems, huh?

7-day cruise to nowhere????:D

They are actually building a new pier in St. Maarten that will hold two Oasis size ships. It is being built next to the current pier.

We just got off the Liberty on Sept 6th and here are pictures I took of the current progress of the pier they're building in St. Maarten for the Oasis:

All taken on Sept 3rd.....

373697753_pUoh8-L.jpg

373697976_MLAjV-L.jpg

Carnival Glory Sailing away with new pier in background:

373703946_upj2q-L.jpg

373705286_M7mwW-L.jpg

Current Pier with new pier in the background:

373707223_Eb9zM-L.jpg

373708595_scxRS-L.jpg

Take it as you may but our Tour Guide, Bernard, said that the new pier would DOUBLE the amount of ships able to port in St. Maarten when all the ships are of "normal" size hehe.

-JOE

:D

Take it as you may but our Tour Guide, Bernard, said that the new pier would DOUBLE the amount of ships able to port in St. Maarten when all the ships are of "normal" size hehe.

-JOE

....are the naked beaches big enough for all those new passengers....:D

Have they built a dock in Labadee?? When we were there on Explorer we had to tender & it was a nightmare......

When we were in Labadee this Sept 1st on the Liberty the Tendering wasn't bad at all, fairly quick. Though we had bad weather so I'm wondering if most just stayed on the ship.

Also as of Sept 1st we saw no pier construction in Labadee......

-JOE

Construction of the dock in Labadee should be starting soon. Here's some info on the dock being built in Labadee from this article:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1846571/

HOUSTON, Aug 26, 2008 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) -- OMGI | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating -- Orion Marine Group, Inc. (the "Company") (Nasdaq:OMGI), a leading marine contractor serving the heavy civil marine infrastructure sector, today announced a contract award of $30.5 million.

Orion Marine Group's wholly owned subsidiary, Misener Marine Construction, Inc. was awarded a contract to build a new cruise ship pier for a private customer in Labadee, Haiti. The project will consist of constructing a new 1,675 linear foot dock, hydraulic dredging of a turning basin and construction of rock groins and beach re-nourishment. The Company's wholly owned subsidiary, Subaqueous Services, LLC will perform the hydraulic dredging services on the project.

"This is the first award in the Caribbean that utilizes the complete in-house, turn-key marine construction and dredging services of both our East Coast subsidiaries." said Jim Rose, Orion Marine Group's Executive Vice President, Atlantic Seaboard & Caribbean. "With the addition of Subaqueous Services earlier this year, we now have better ability to take advantage of opportunities like this which require a hydraulic dredge component while better controlling the project's critical path."

Onsite construction of the pier is expected to commence in the fourth quarter of 2008.

Bahamas.. well think about it. By the time you get off the ship it would be close to 2 and not much time for Atlantis. Don't they close by 6. 1 to 7 just not enough time in Nassau. Oh well guess we will find something great although I would love to have had a full day to enjoy Atlantis. i would rather go to the private Island.

Have they built a dock in Labadee?? When we were there on Explorer we had to tender & it was a nightmare......

We were just in Labadee last week (September 16) on FOS and there was no construction on the new pier yet. Tendering was quick and easy though!

Bahamas.. well think about it. By the time you get off the ship it would be close to 2 and not much time for Atlantis. Don't they close by 6. 1 to 7 just not enough time in Nassau. Oh well guess we will find something great although I would love to have had a full day to enjoy Atlantis. i would rather go to the private Island.

I was wondering about this...why so late to Nassau????? That is really going to put a wrench in the works with our normal plans. :confused:

When we were in Labadee this Sept 1st on the Liberty the Tendering wasn't bad at all, fairly quick. Though we had bad weather so I'm wondering if most just stayed on the ship.

Also as of Sept 1st we saw no pier construction in Labadee......

-JOE

Apparently most stayed on the ship on your trip. We had to stand in line for over an hour waiting to tender back to the ship. 3500+ people trying to board the one tender (granted it isn't one of the one's on board) at the same time = NIGHTMARE. I will say that Labadee was beautiful and we did have perfect weather, but tendering leaves a lot to be desired....

Apparently most stayed on the ship on your trip. We had to stand in line for over an hour waiting to tender back to the ship. 3500+ people trying to board the one tender (granted it isn't one of the one's on board) at the same time = NIGHTMARE. I will say that Labadee was beautiful and we did have perfect weather, but tendering leaves a lot to be desired....

It depends when you leave Labadee. If you wait till later in the day, then you will have to wait.

We didn't have a problem getting a tender back onto Freedom. And there seemed to be 4 tenders running to 2 different gangways.

But I can see that there would be a problem at certain points during the day. I am happy that they are building a dock. :)

There were at least two operating last week when we were there... the only time we had to wait was for people to fill the boat. It was very easy.

The pier will make things easier for all.

Archived