Mariner of the Seas August 24 sailing revised due to Gustav

Just posted on RCCL:

• Mariner of the Seas, which departed Port Canaveral, Sunday, August 24, will sail a revised itinerary. The ship will not be visiting Labadee, Haiti, on Tuesday; Ocho Rios, Jamaica, on Wednesday; George Town, Cayman Islands, on Thursday; or Cozumel, Mexico, on Friday. Instead, the ship will spend Tuesday at sea; visit St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Wednesday; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten, on Thursday. The ship will be at sea Friday and Saturday as it returns to Port Canaveral, Sunday, September 1, as scheduled.

wow..totally different itinerary(but better in my opinion)......but Im sure there are alot of disappointed pax who will come back here asking for the CEO's email:p They wont understand it is for their own safety..

Just posted on RCCL:
  • Mariner of the Seas, which departed Port Canaveral, Sunday, August 24, will sail a revised itinerary. The ship will not be visiting Labadee, Haiti, on Tuesday; Ocho Rios, Jamaica, on Wednesday; George Town, Cayman Islands, on Thursday; or Cozumel, Mexico, on Friday. Instead, the ship will spend Tuesday at sea; visit St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Wednesday; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten, on Thursday. The ship will be at sea Friday and Saturday as it returns to Port Canaveral, Sunday, September 1, as scheduled.

Except Sunday is the 31st. I know, because thats the day I board. :D

wow..totally different itinerary(but better in my opinion)......but Im sure there are alot of disappointed pax who will come back here asking for the CEO's email:p They wont understand it is for their own safety..

I agree Kathy. Just a matter of time until the posts start about itinerary changes due to storms. Actually makes for some great entertainment. I bet there's some *itching and moaning on that ship right now.:eek: Would NOT want to be working at the Guest Relations desk!!!!

Well any of the passengers on board who want to complain can deal with the fact that the itinerary completely change. Its for their own safety, and they should be glad there even on a cruise and not home or at work!
Gustav is projected to be a Category 1 today (74-95 MPH), Category 2 Friday (96-110) and Category 3 (111-130) on Saturday and Sunday. There is no way that RCI and Mariner’s Captain, who is very experienced in dealing with Tropical storms and hurricanes would sail into that kind of storm.

One must be mentally prepared for itinerary changes during hurricane season (the contract covers RCI’s right to make itinerary changes due to weather) but it still can be a disappointment. Will be interested to hear how Captain Johnny and the staff communicated with the passengers. We had a tropical storm develop during our June 2005 cruise and he kept us well informed. His book also goes into his communicating with passengers when hurricanes were out the Caribbean and route changes were necessary when he captained Adventurer. Comminication is the key to keeping down dissention from the passengers.

OMG,, the only reason to book that trip was to go to Ocho Rios,,,Full refund for everyone! I get a full refund also even though I will not be on the ship for the pain I feel for those that will missed those ports....called Pain and Suffering:eek:
RCI's contract with passeners covers the line's right to make itinerary changes due to weather. People sailing during hurricane season should be aware that they might have itinerary changes due to weather. See above posts -- the storms projected intensity (up to a cat. 3 -- catastrophic hurricane) by the weekend is nothing to fool around with -- RCI would have more legal problems with injured or killed passengers if it sailed its scheduled Western route.

Agree that it would silly to contact the CEO when the cruise line is watching out for the passengers' safety -- see my previous posts about the storm's projected intensity.

Changes can happen, we have a B2B booked on mariner on the 7th Sept, while I would be little disappointed if there was an itinerary change, it is part fothe course booking a cruise in hurricane season, it is also the reason we get good prices. I'd rather be safe :)

My daughter is sailing with my brother-in-law and his family on this sailing right now, and she is happy with the itinerary change, she has never been to St. Martin and St. Thomas is one of her favorite ports. I'm sad she will miss Labadee though, but she has been there numerous times.

I'm waiting to hear back from her about how much rocking the ship is doing. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

My husband and I board the ship on Sunday to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I really don't care where the ship ends up as long as we are out of the hurricane's path. Any caribbean island is better than my office at work...:p

Mariner should be OK going back to Port Canaveral as Gustav is projected to go into the Gulf of Mexico over the weekend.

projected, I live in florida, and i have never seen hurricanes or t.s actually take the "projected" path :P

RCI's contract with passeners covers the line's right to make itinerary changes due to weather. People sailing during hurricane season should be aware that they might have itinerary changes due to weather. See above posts -- the storms projected intensity (up to a cat. 3 -- catastrophic hurricane) by the weekend is nothing to fool around with -- RCI would have more legal problems with injured or killed passengers if it sailed its scheduled Western route.

Totally agree. We sailed last year on the Mariner over Labor Day ...lucked out on perfect weather for the week. But the main reason we booked at that cruise was because of the deep discounts for sailing during Hurricane Season. We had the mind set going into the cruise, that plans may change...but it was for our own safety. If I was on that cruise this week, yeah I might be somewhat disappointed on missing the Western itinery...but I'd be sooooo glad I was safe. Period.

The "complainers" need to just count their blessings and move on. :cool:

:rolleyes: But ya know...even if the Captain kept to the original itinery...sailing into the storm, those very passengers who would complain about the itinery change...would be the ones to complain about the bad weather & high seas. No one will ever be able to make them happy. ;)

projected, I live in florida, and i have never seen hurricanes or t.s actually take the "projected" path :P

Noticed that -- we live near Hilton Head, SC and have had many changes but the Cruise lines have to be careful with over 5,000 people onboard.

Totally agree. We sailed last year on the Mariner over Labor Day ...lucked out on perfect weather for the week. But the main reason we booked at that cruise was because of the deep discounts for sailing during Hurricane Season. We had the mind set going into the cruise, that plans may change...but it was for our own safety. If I was on that cruise this week, yeah I might be somewhat disappointed on missing the Western itinery...but I'd be sooooo glad I was safe. Period.

The "complainers" need to just count their blessings and move on. :cool:

:rolleyes: But ya know...even if the Captain kept to the original itinery...sailing into the storm, those very passengers who would complain about the itinery change...would be the ones to complain about the bad weather & high seas. No one will ever be able to make them happy. ;)

And if the Captain was dumb enough to keep to the original itinerary, the passengers could have a lot more to complain about than changed itineraries or even rough seas. There could be many injuries and a possible loss of life. Put going to St. Thomas instead of Jamaica into an equation with being dead.

My daughter is sailing with my brother-in-law and his family on this sailing right now, and she is happy with the itinerary change, she has never been to St. Martin and St. Thomas is one of her favorite ports. I'm sad she will miss Labadee though, but she has been there numerous times.

I'm waiting to hear back from her about how much rocking the ship is doing. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

My husband and I board the ship on Sunday to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I really don't care where the ship ends up as long as we are out of the hurricane's path. Any caribbean island is better than my office at work...:p

Tonya, we are also on the ship and also celebrating our 20th wedding anniversay. Ours is on the 3rd. And I don't care where we sail to either as long as we get to sail!

Tonya, we are also on the ship and also celebrating our 20th wedding anniversay. Ours is on the 3rd. And I don't care where we sail to either as long as we get to sail!

Happy Anniversary. I'm sure we will both have a wonderful cruise next week. The captain will make sure we have as smooth a sailing as possible.

Maybe RCCL isn't telling you something.:eek:

I was concerned when I saw the Sept. 1st date, but it's now fixed on RCI's site:

Mariner of the Seas, which departed Port Canaveral, Sunday, August 24, will sail a revised itinerary. The ship will not be visiting Labadee, Haiti, on Tuesday; Ocho Rios, Jamaica, on Wednesday; George Town, Cayman Islands, on Thursday; or Cozumel, Mexico, on Friday. Instead, the ship will spend Tuesday at sea; visit St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Wednesday; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten, on Thursday. The ship will be at sea Friday and Saturday as it returns to Port Canaveral, Sunday, August 31, as scheduled.

They are getting better though... Found an interesting article here about the improving predictions of trajectory, the main point which says: "Today's three-day forecast is as accurate as a two-day forecast during the late 1980s."

Forecasting intensity and rainfall are still very difficult, and have not seen similar improvements.

Theron

My daughter is also on the Mariner right now. She just got engaged last night: . She e-mailed home to tell us, she's very happy with the port change. Her bestfriend is in St Marten with her boyfriend on vacation. She's going to their hotel to tell them the great news.

I"m sure your daughter doesn't care where she goes... she's engaged:D

Congrads... I loved being engaged... the marriage part...:p (just kidding)

CuriousCat

Archived