Mariner of the Seas August 24 sailing revised due to Gustav

I won't mind an itinerary change. I just don't want a ts or hurricane to be in the Orlando area on September 14th! Just get me on the ship and out to sea and I will be happy!

I am with you ewheelock, except my target date to sea is Sept. 13th. I was on the Mariner in 2004 and we got two extra days due to a hurricane!!!;)

My daughter is also on the Mariner right now. She just got engaged last night: . She e-mailed home to tell us, she's very happy with the port change. Her bestfriend is in St Marten with her boyfriend on vacation. She's going to their hotel to tell them the great news.
Sounds like this will work out great for your daughter. Is she hearing anything about idiots trying to protest the itinerary change -- thinking they know more than the captain on where it is safe to sail? Read about that on Princess last year but I don't think their captains communicate as well as RCI -- especially this particular Captain. He has had a lot of experience sailing when there are tropical storms (we were onboard Mariner when he sailed around 1 in 2005) and hurricanes. Your daughter and fiance are in good hands.

wow..totally different itinerary(but better in my opinion)......but Im sure there are alot of disappointed pax who will come back here asking for the CEO's email:p They wont understand it is for their own safety..

Kathy I agree.....much better itinerary..........hope they all understand and just roll with the flow.

The loudest complainers will be the folks who booked excursions through private tours.

A friend years ago was rerouted on a cruise to Bermuda - they ended up doing a New England tour. BRRRR - everyone packed for Bermuda. She said there wasn't a sweatshirt left in the gift shop! :eek:

The loudest complainers will be the folks who booked excursions through private tours.

A friend years ago was rerouted on a cruise to Bermuda - they ended up doing a New England tour. BRRRR - everyone packed for Bermuda. She said there wasn't a sweatshirt left in the gift shop! :eek:

Now that would suck!

While I am sure most are disappointed, safety has to be rccls priority.

If you choose to cruise during hurricane season, you have to be prepared for anything. fly in a day early, get insurance and be flexible with the itin. Even though we have been very luck the past few years, I would not be mad if it happened to us in October.

Now if this is someones first cruise....i can see being upset but they should understand

if you book shore excursions with the ship and don't end up going to the islands, does it get credited back to your account? i would imagine that this wouldn't work for excursions booked thru private companies (unless you pay the day of)

Yes it does.

I don't want to do the Eastern itinerary again. :( That being said, I booked my 09/07/08 cruise to go back to the Western Carribean but, yes, I would FULLY understand the change. Would I be happy? No...but I would deal with it and NOT complain loudly to the captain, RCCL, etc. Unlike a lot of others, I don't like an over-abundance of sea days. But, being from Florida, I understand the chances I take by booking during hurricane season. My DH, also a Florida native, LOVES the sea days..the rougher the seas, the better. Of course he'a also NOT probe to sea-sickness...:rolleyes:

RCI's contract with passeners covers the line's right to make itinerary changes due to weather. People sailing during hurricane season should be aware that they might have itinerary changes due to weather. See above posts -- the storms projected intensity (up to a cat. 3 -- catastrophic hurricane) by the weekend is nothing to fool around with -- RCI would have more legal problems with injured or killed passengers if it sailed its scheduled Western route.

A Cat 3 hurricane is not classified as 'catastrophic' - a Cat.5 (Andrew, Camille, Mitch, Katrina) is. A Cat 3 would have damages classified as 'extensive'. Either one is a tragedy.

Just a little hurricane trivia from Florida.

A Cat 3 hurricane is not classified as 'catastrophic' - a Cat.5 (Andrew, Camille, Mitch, Katrina) is. A Cat 3 would have damages classified as 'extensive'. Either one is a tragedy.

Just a little hurricane trivia from Florida.

Thanks for the clarification; anyway no one is diputing that a Cat 3 is something one does not want to sail through.

My engaged daughter is sailing with alot of stupied people. She said the line up at quest services is very long, people are complaining that they want to go to the ports they were suppose to go.:confused:

The CD should cancel the production show in the theatre tonight and instead show a back-to-back screening of The Titanic and The Poseidon Adventure. Attendance mandatory for everyone complaining to guest services. :rolleyes:

My engaged daughter is sailing with alot of stupied people. She said the line up at quest services is very long, people are complaining that they want to go to the ports they were suppose to go.:confused:

I'll give 1/2 the people the benefit of the doubt, having booked excursions, etc, they are not sure how all this will play out. Unlike people here on CC who already know the answers.

The other half are stupid!

We sail Mariner in 3 days.

Said it before, ANYONE who books a carib cruise this time of the year HAS to understand the possibilities up front. It's buyer beware. If people complain after the fact, then they are really stupid.

Gustav is heading towards the gulf. There is now TD#8 heading towards the Bahama's on a collision course with next weeks Mariner's course at Coco cay, scheduled for Monday.

I have no idea how this is going to impact the cruise, but that's part of the adventure sailing during the PEAK of the storm season.

I'll give 1/2 the people the benefit of the doubt, having booked excursions, etc, they are not sure how all this will play out. Unlike people here on CC who already know the answers.

The other half are stupid!

We sail Mariner in 3 days.

Said it before, ANYONE who books a carib cruise this time of the year HAS to understand the possibilities up front. It's buyer beware. If people complain after the fact, then they are really stupid.

Gustav is heading towards the gulf. There is now TD#8 heading towards the Bahama's on a collision course with next weeks Mariner's course at Coco cay, scheduled for Monday.

I have no idea how this is going to impact the cruise, but that's part of the adventure sailing during the PEAK of the storm season.

We are also on this cruise. Wow, this might get interesting! Think we'll end up with the Western instead of the Eastern?

We are also on this cruise. Wow, this might get interesting! Think we'll end up with the Western instead of the Eastern?

No, this storm is headed to the Bahama's. So are We. Thats where the situation will be. Once we get south of the storm we should be Ok. Providing we don't run into another storm entirely.

And TD#8 turns into Hannah:

WTNT33 KNHC 281441
TCPAT3
BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM HANNA ADVISORY NUMBER   2
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL   AL082008
1100 AM AST THU AUG 28 2008

...HANNA BECOMES EIGHTH TROPICAL STORM OF THE SEASON...

AT 1100 AM AST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM HANNA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 20.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 59.2 WEST OR ABOUT 305
MILES...490 KM...NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS.

HANNA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...19 KM/HR.
A TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED LATER TODAY.  ON THE
FORECAST TRACK...HANNA WILL MOVE AWAY FROM THE NORTHERN LEEWARD
ISLANDS AND BE CENTERED WELL TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE BAHAMAS DURING
THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. 

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 40 MPH...65 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS.  SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 50 MILES...85 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1002 MB...29.59 INCHES.

HANNA COULD PRODUCE RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES...WITH
POSSIBLE MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 4 INCHES ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE LEEWARD
ISLANDS. 

REPEATING THE 1100 AM AST POSITION...20.5 N...59.2 W.  MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH.  MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40
MPH.  MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
500 PM AST.

144212W_sm.gif

Not sure that image will update... if not, check here.

Theron

Tell her to make a game out of people watching. Every time she hears someone complaining about the itinerary change, she takes a drink (or eats a cookie if she doesn't drink).;)

Honestly, I think she needs to respond to every complaint she hears by saying this is the best cruise ever and then flash her ring in their faces!:D

Hope Captain Johnny put them off the ship with a jet taking them to where the hurricane will hit strongest. LOL!!!

Your daughter is sailing with one of the best navigators in the RCI fleet and he is backed up with all kinds of satellite information and data from the Miami office and the National Hurricane Center. He and his staff know how to interpret this data a lot better than these disgruntled stupid passengers.

Archived