Tips- $10.00 per day per Guest

Terry305

Before our Cruise last Feb, I did not much care, in principle, for the automatic tipping. However, after that cruise I have no problem with it. Service would have to be pretty bad before I would feel a need to take back all or some of the automatic tip. And if it was that bad I would address the problem on the ship with the appropriate folks to get it resolved. Anyway, I found it appropriate to tip four of the staff extra at the end of the cruise. Not that I am generous or cheap (I have been accused on ocassion of having short arms and deep pockets), it was just obvious they deserved more than what they were getting from the automatic tip.

I would presume if you take off the automatic tip, regardless of your intentions, this could adversely affect the staff, especially if you did not explain why. I presume this would raise a red flag with management that there was possibly something wrong with the service the staff provided, then logically the staff would be questioned about it. For the staff this would not be a pleasant experience and not great for a promotion opportunity, etc. If your going to tip the same or more than the automatic tip there is no logical reason to remove it, and probably a waste of precious cruise time, IMHO.

Also, if I tip extra it is for excellent service. How they live, how much they make, etc., is not relevent in this decision.

I am glad you thing $10 is ok, because several lines have raised it or will effective in January.

Nita

I read somewhere that NCL is going up to 12.00 per day , is not a problem, still is reasonable. No complaints here lol

... I see !! Thanks Katie !! I didn't know that .... I do remember on Sovereign last month seeing our dining room bartender serving drinks on CocoCay ... don't recall seeing our waiter anywhere though ....

perhaps they should all pool the tips as Dan mentioned in his post that a couple other lines do ..

Princess is

$10 pooled for hotel staff exc. bar workers.

15% added to bar tabs

MSC is

$12. pooled for all staff including bar. No individual adjustments can be made.

Have a Great Day!!!

It seems to be an issue with this subject, I do feel that the $10.00 per day per guest is fine, whats your opinion?

Issue? Only on these boards........

$10 a day is what they suggest so it is working for them. Who cares what other people do or don't do:confused: Pay the suggested amount and be done with it.......and please don't believe everything you hear;)

I am glad that I read and replied to this thread because I have learned some new things. I did not realize that the money in the auto-tips was pooled and divided amongst all staff members. I ALWAYS have tipped over the required amount, just gave it in cash. I certainly was not intending on hurting anyone. Given this new knowledge, I would leave my auto-tips on and tip the excess in cash. I never thought the amount was unreasonable.

newmexicoNita- I do feel that tips are for exceptional service at restaurants. I have never stiffed anyone, but I do not agree with automatically adding these tips to the bills. In my personal experience, everytime this has happened, I have received less than adequate service. I think sometimes it is due to laziness - they already know they are guaranteed that money, so they don't have to put in any extra effort. I wish this was not the case, but sadly, it has been my experience.

It's a little off topic, but I have a question... Does anyone else get the idea that the room service wait staff don't usually receive tips? If I don't have the money ready in advance to hand to them while I sign the ticket, they are heading for the door before I can pick it up and hand it to them. I have to practically chase them down.

It's a little off topic, but I have a question... Does anyone else get the idea that the room service wait staff don't usually receive tips? If I don't have the money ready in advance to hand to them while I sign the ticket, they are heading for the door before I can pick it up and hand it to them. I have to practically chase them down.

I've noticed that, too. I always have the money ready for them now.

What is a reasonable tip for room service? I typically order a coffee, a tea, and a couple of plates of fruit in the AM.

What is a reasonable tip for room service? I typically order a coffee, a tea, and a couple of plates of fruit in the AM.

I usually tip a couple of dollars. $3 or $4 if there are several of us in the room and we order a variety of foods to share.

Alot of people probably write the tip on the receipt. I know we do sometimes. They won't leave until you sign the receipt.....

Issue? Only on these boards........

$10 a day is what they suggest so it is working for them. Who cares what other people do or don't do:confused: Pay the suggested amount and be done with it.......and please don't believe everything you hear;)

lol your right , I do believe a lot of the things I hear , I can be kind of naive. lol

:)

Like I said I dont want to stir up any pots, but a lot of nationalities including hispanics dont tip, not all just some,many familes know what they have to do but some, specially he ones that dont reside in the States can create chaos in a cruise , I remember in the Valor our waiter which was wonderful somehow he mentioned that a table for 10 nearby removed the tips and they were kind of mad around the middle of their cruise, the last morning before leaving the ship our waiter was serving breakfast in the dining room, he mentioned that they never tip him, thats incredible, also some folks removed them couple of days before the end of the cruise and never go back to the dining room, I guess they eat from the buffett, I think they add the tips to prevent that. Thats bad.

I also live in the Miami area and have lots of hispanic friends (different nationalities, ie: Cubans, Venezuelans, Colombians, etc), and I will tell you, they tip as good or even better than the 15% - 18% suggested.

It is not correct to single out a group of people.

We sail at least two to three times a year and have never had or seen a problem related to tipping, it could be because we do not go into details or conversations with our waiters or cabin stewards regarding tipping or the lack of it. We simply do our part by not removing the auto tipping, and usually tipping extra for excellent service, which we have been very fortunate and have always received.;)

I also live in the Miami area and have lots of hispanic friends (different nationalities, ie: Cubans, Venezuelans, Colombians, etc), and I will tell you, they tip as good or even better than the 15% - 18% suggested.

We sail at least two to three times a year and have never had or seen a problem related to tipping, it could be because we do not go into details or conversations with our waiters or cabin stewards regarding tipping or the lack of it. We simply do our part by not removing the auto tipping, and usually tipping extra for excellent service, which we have been very fortunate and have always received.;)

I believe Terry is Cuban (please correct me if I am mistaken) and was only trying to share with a previous poster that tipping policies vary in different cultures, and that someone new to our great country would not fully understand the American way of tipping.

Please forgive me if I have mis-spoken. I certainly do want to offend anyone.

I think Terry was trying to explain that a friend, newly arrived from Cuba, questioned the AutoTips on the cruise docs.

Terry then went on to explain that when friend was told AutoTips was standard practice here in the States, friend accepted without further questions.

I hope this clears things up a bit. :)

I think Terry was trying to explain that a friend, newly arrived from Cuba, questioned the AutoTips on the cruise docs.

Terry then went on to explain that when friend was told AutoTips was standard practice here in the States, friend accepted without further questions.

Hi Gamer Mom64,

I hope that was it, however from reading her post, it did not look that way.

Here is the post:

Like I said I dont want to stir up any pots, but a lot of nationalities including hispanics dont tip, not all just some,many familes know what they have to do but some, specially he ones that dont reside in the States can create chaos in a cruise , I remember in the Valor our waiter which was wonderful somehow he mentioned that a table for 10 nearby removed the tips and they were kind of mad around the middle of their cruise, the last morning before leaving the ship our waiter was serving breakfast in the dining room, he mentioned that they never tip him, thats incredible, also some folks removed them couple of days before the end of the cruise and never go back to the dining room, I guess they eat from the buffett, I think they add the tips to prevent that. Thats bad.

:)

Hi Gamer Mom64,

I hope that was it, however from reading her post, it did not look that way..................:)

LOL I know....Poor Terry has gotten so bashed and keeps trying to explain.

You'd have to go all the way back to the beginning of the thread where Terry (I am unsure of Terry's gender) tried to illustrate the different culture different tipping thing by using an example from Terry's own personal experience.

The story about the dining room was an observation made by Terry that some foreign nationals, who are not used to American tipping, might be offended by the AutoTips and end up stiffing the wait staff.

Hello Floridacruiser63, I had try to explained that I was talking about persons that do not reside in the U.S, I am hispanic and I only mention them as an example, in many other countries the tipping issue is not as we are used to here, we go here by a 15% or 20% table, in many countries is not like that, some people just put a dollar on the table and thats what they been thought,they dont know any better , when those tourist go in a cruise or a restaurant in the U.S many of them not all tend to follow those guidelines that they are used to, thats what I was mentioning, In any way I am talking about the ones that live in this country like me, we know how is supposed to be, now again there is another group of people that they know and they used whatever excuse is good for them to removed the tips or not tip at all, those are just cheap. :)

Terry

LOL I know....Poor Terry has gotten so bashed and keeps trying to explain.

You'd have to go all the way back to the beginning of the thread where Terry (I am unsure of Terry's gender) tried to illustrate the different culture different tipping thing by using an example from Terry's own personal experience.

The story about the dining room was an observation made by Terry that some foreign nationals, who are not used to American tipping, might be offended by the AutoTips and end up stiffing the wait staff.

It does. Thanks for the explanation.:)

there is another group of people that they know and they used whatever excuse is good for them to removed the tips or not tip at all, those are just cheap. :)

Terry

Sentences like this is what stirs the pot....

Who cares what others do:confused: It certainly is nothing new, there are liars, cheaters, braggers etc. That's what makes the world go round.

I certainly don't loose sleep over it, do you?

Hello Floridacruiser63, I had try to explained that I was talking about persons that do not reside in the U.S, I am hispanic and I only mention them as an example, in many other countries the tipping issue is not as we are used to here, we go here by a 15% or 20% table, in many countries is not like that, some people just put a dollar on the table and thats what they been thought,they dont know any better , when those tourist go in a cruise or a restaurant in the U.S many of them not all tend to follow those guidelines that they are used to, thats what I was mentioning, In any way I am talking about the ones that live in this country like me, we know how is supposed to be, now again there is another group of people that they know and they used whatever excuse is good for them to removed the tips or not tip at all, those are just cheap. :)

Terry

Hi Terry,

It's cool. No problem. ;)

Hello Floridacruiser63, I had try to explained .................... :) Terry

These were just gentle reminders from fellow CC members. Nobody is saying anything bad about you, they are saying, "Please be careful what you post, it may be taken the wrong way."

Hey, I see that your friend got assigned a cabin! Woo Hoo. Enjoy your cruise! You deserve it after working so hard organizing it. :D

Archived