What to do in kaui with out a car

Clearwater Bill

• Administrators
hello everyone, I would like to do some beach activites, like boggie boarding small wave surfing mybe some snokleing and shopping. also wold need eqment rental.

If your ship is docking at Nawiliwili there is a beach within walking distance next door. It's called Kalapaki Beach, and you can rent equipment, take surfing lessons, etc. there. It's the beach in front of the Kauai Marriott, but like all Hawaiian beaches it is public, not owned by Marriott. There's also a Duke's restaurant on that beach. Here's one site with more information about the beach and services available there -- http://www.kauaifun.com/beachboys.html

From the ship, shuttles run to nearby shopping centers.

Here's a photo of Kalapaki Beach taken as our ship pulled out of Nawiliwili -- the sidewalk visible on the left side was to the right of our ship while berthed.

Hope that helps and have a great trip! :)

2126714124_Kalapaki04.jpg.d7705cddad48e80815179d94ef2907ae.jpg

If your ship is docking at Nawiliwili there is a beach within walking distance next door. It's called Kalapaki Beach, and you can rent equipment, take surfing lessons, etc. there. It's the beach in front of the Kauai Marriott, but like all Hawaiian beaches it is public, not owned by Marriott. There's also a Duke's restaurant on that beach. Here's one site with more information about the beach and services available there -- http://www.kauaifun.com/beachboys.html

From the ship, shuttles run to nearby shopping centers.

Here's a photo of Kalapaki Beach taken as our ship pulled out of Nawiliwili -- the sidewalk visible on the left side was to the right of our ship while berthed.

Hope that helps and have a great trip! :)

This was very helpful to me also...thanks MichellP.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with MichellP. Kauai was our last stop and I was too tired to rent a car in Kauai and we just got off the shuttle coming from Fern Grotto excursion. The shuttle dropped us off at the shopping center near the beach and hung out 3 hours at Kauai Marriott beach area. We walked back to ship and had a blast.

• 2 months later...

Hi there! I grew up on Kaua`i (I now live in Florida), and the island is still the most beautiful place on earth for me. It may be bias, but I truly believe Kaua`i is the most beautiful Hawaiian island. Renting a car is, by far, the best way to see the magic that Kaua`i has to offer. You can easily see much of the island in about 3-4 hours (including short stops). If you would like to sight-see more, and plan for long stops, you would need more time, of course. Nawiliwili (the port) is only about 30-40 minutes from the north shore of Kaua`i, where you will find beautiful waterfalls within good viewing distance from the road (there's only one main road on the island). Of course, there are closer waterfalls viewable from the road in Wailua (only about 15-20 minutes from Nawiliwili). Here is a link describing the waterfall locations on Kaua`i:

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/sites_to_see/waterfalls.htm

But, if you decide that you'd much rather spend the day near the port, Kalapaki Beach is the beach in front of the Marriot (located at the port). This beautiful beach is public and relaxing. There are boating activities available at the beach, as well as shops within walking distance. Try the "hula pie" at Duke's Canoe Club (located on the beach on the property of the Marriot) - the pie is an ice cream pie and is so delicious and big enough for sharing! Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

I agree, Kauai is by far the best island to drive- go to Princeville and Hanalei- Coconut Coast and where Blue Hawaii was filmed- to see the differences and a more real side.

Love it. Marrried at the Marriott Lagoons in 2003- no place like it. :D

Archived