Q. re: Cunard's "Included" Transatlantic Flight

david,Mississauga

After three requests, I have finally received Cunard's 2005 brochure. In previous years, the included flight in the opposite direction was provided only on British Airways. Unless I've missed it, this brochure gives no indication as to the airline on which one will fly. Being from Canada, I'm afraid that they may try to put us on a well-known "steerage" carrier that provides less than the normal 31" pitch.

Does anyone know from experience if BA is still the air carrier?

I believe it varies depending what city you are flying out of or to. In Detroit, they said they would book Northwest, American, or British Air but wouldn't give us a choice or tell us ahead of time.

Call and ask which airlines they normally book our of your city. British Air does not fly out of all cities, and I think they have arrangements with several airlines.

On my sailing. I was booked on Virgin Atlantic. Which was fine with me. Virgin is my favorite airline, of the ones that I've flown. My travel agent said that Cunard's airline of choice is Virgin. But I've talked to other passengers who were booked on others.

J.P.

Hi there, my wife and I leave on the 27th of October to join the October 31 crossing. We live in Toronto and they booked us on Air Canada. They were quite accomodating too, as we wanted to go a couple days early in order to do some touring. I just hope we get the Aeroplan miles.

I think my TA has advised me that you get one free shot at custom air, after that any changes are $75 per change. I've requested a specific flight and always received it, then again my airport is SFO, a major hub. Try using the British Air website to look for flight(s) that suit your timetable, then tell your TA or Cunard that you're interested in a specific flights for your trip (perhaps listing a second choice), it can't hurt!

Edited to add That is, of course, if your first choice is BA!

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I flew from Toronto to London on BA last December (we were booked on the dec 15 crossing). We booked the upgrade with British Airways, to 'world travellor plus' for very little. When we received our tickets, we were bumped up another class, to 1st class, but seated apart.

When we inquired about getting seats together, we were down graded back to 'plus' status, without telling us. I knew we had been upgraded, but didn't know we had been down graded again until we boarded. We were not very happy!

The seats are VERY narrow and there is VERY little room between the rows. If there is more room in the 'plus' section then in the tourist class, I would hate to know how much room they had!!!

I got upgraded to World Traveler Plus last year and thought it was business class. Maybe it depends on the plane but my seat was as large but more comfortable than domestic first class seats and I was very satisfied with it.

The posting above reminded me of this and I made my booking for next May for another non-Cunard event through British Air and purchased World Traveler Plus Class. The difference in cost will be well worth it.

Anyway, it's a lot better than 8-9 hours of being cramped into a tiny seat with someone next to you leaning on you!

Maybe I should start my diet now ...... hopefully by mid Dec I'll be able to fit in those 'sardine seats' on Virgin

I'm convinced that the airlines are making the seats small on purpose, that way they can convince us to start an excercise regimen. Look at it this way, there is a conspiracy EVERYWHERE!

Just some er, 'food' for thought ........

:-D

Archived