How early can you tell there's going to be a problem?

ElsieToo

We leave on 9/18 for a Bahamas cruise, and I'm wondering how far in advance will we be able to know if there is a weather issue/concern? I'm not really concerned personally, but my mom is having all sorts of worries about this, especially since we'll be spending almost a week at WDW before the cruise and won't necessarily be hearing much news. ;)

We leave on our Bahamas cruise on Monday. We don't have a clue what's going to happen yet. I'm guessing we won't have a clear idea until the evening before the cruise. It could make things very interesting. In the mean time, we are watching our cruiseline's homepage for Tropical Weather Updates.

especially since we'll be spending almost a week at WDW before the cruise and won't necessarily be hearing much news. ;)

I can ease your mind on this one. We sat thru Charley at WDW. They were on top of everything. Closed the parks, sent employees to each room with flyers as what to do when it hit. We never lost power, and Charley was a powerful storm for Orlando. Now getting good information on our cruise out of Port Canaveral the next morning was a different story, and it was a Disney cruise. We left for the port, which took us 3 hours only to find out the ship arrived late and we could not board until 2, the ship only left (half full because the airports were closed) at 7. But we made it, just try an relax, at least you are in Florida and do not have to worry about air, just like we did.

Thanks for your responses - especially yours loveJake! I'll gratefully pass the info on to my mom. She's new to cruising and no matter how many times I tell her that I'm sure DCL is on top of these things and will take proper precautions she always wants to hear just a "little bit more information from someone who knows". :rolleyes:

We leave on 9/18 for a Bahamas cruise, and I'm wondering how far in advance will we be able to know if there is a weather issue/concern? I'm not really concerned personally, but my mom is having all sorts of worries about this, especially since we'll be spending almost a week at WDW before the cruise and won't necessarily be hearing much news. ;)

Keep in touch with the cruise line via their toll-free number. Or, visit an internet cafe and check the website. All cruise companies notify passengers of changes by phone and emails. However, if you are not home, that's not going to help you. It will be up to you to keep track of what's happening.

Good luck.

Archived