why book a guarantee?

m steve

We have always booked a specific cabin so we can be sure where we will be especially since we like the aft cabins. Is there a significant savings too keep you up in the air until just before you sail? And do you get to select your dining time and table size?

Yes, there is a significant savings when you book guarantee. Yes, you pick the same as always, of course, the way things are going that doesn't mean much. We booked 8 months out and still are waitlisted.

Obviously, the down side is that you don't know where you will be located in the ship and you may not get an aft cabin.

We have booked many, many guarantees and for the most part have been extremely happy with our cabins.

It's a personal preference and may work well for you depending on what you are willing to live with for however many days.

We've booked "guarantee", sometimes for cost savings, sometimes because that's all that is available for when we want to travel. Some people feel it is too big a risk (that you get the "leftovers" or the cabins that other people don't want). However, for us, it has worked fine. Always, always check the deck plans to see what the worst cabin in the category is :). If you're okay with the worst, then go for it. Or book the category that you'll be happy with. NEVER book "guarantee" thinking you'll get an upgrade.

Hi,

I'm a little confused on this guarantee thing. Looking online (at both HAL and online agency sites) I don't see that the pricing for booking a guarantee is any different than pricing for choosing a specific cabin. :confused:

I'm obviously missing something, or not looking in the right place. Can anyone steer me in the right direction so that I can see those price differences? :)

Thanks,

Sheri

Hi,

I'm a little confused on this guarantee thing. Looking online (at both HAL and online agency sites) I don't see that the pricing for booking a guarantee is any different than pricing for choosing a specific cabin. :confused:

I'm obviously missing something, or not looking in the right place. Can anyone steer me in the right direction so that I can see those price differences? :)

Thanks,

Sheri

OK, here is how some see it. Say you want an outside. And say furthermore, there are categories of outside that have no cabins showing to pick from (maybe they are in hold back or in groups at other agencies). Oftentimes, you will still see a "guarantee" showing on a lower grade, at a price lower than the next grades up of outsides. That is what I think some mean by "savings." The price shown for the guarantee may or may not be lower than the price of cabins sold in that grade as prices can change almost real-time.

Thanks pianoman, that does make logical sense.

So, for instance, if I wanted to book an outside guarantee, I would book the cheapest outside category as a guarantee--which wouldn't really be any cheaper than choosing a specific cabin in that same category--but it would be cheaper than a lot of the outside cabins in other categories. I would just have to know that I may very well get the least desirable cabin in the lowest outside category. Right? :rolleyes:

Sheri

To me the major reason to book a guarantee is the chance to sail in a cabin that is better than I paid for! On our three Vista cruises we paid for VE or VD and sailed in a VA each time. My DD/DSiL on one Vista paid for an HH and got a C. On two other guarantees we moved up a few steps.

Thanks pianoman, that does make logical sense.

So, for instance, if I wanted to book an outside guarantee, I would book the cheapest outside category as a guarantee--which wouldn't really be any cheaper than choosing a specific cabin in that same category--but it would be cheaper than a lot of the outside cabins in other categories. I would just have to know that I may very well get the least desirable cabin in the lowest outside category. Right? :rolleyes:

Sheri

You got it! And remember, any day at sea is a great day!

We have always booked a specific cabin so we can be sure where we will be especially since we like the aft cabins. Is there a significant savings too keep you up in the air until just before you sail? And do you get to select your dining time and table size?

Just like some people like knowing what stateroom they'll be in nine months in advance, we like the surprise. When's the last time you booked a hotel and knew your room months ahead of time?

For us, it's not worth hundreds of dollars to get a room in the front of the ship versus the back of the ship, or the 4th deck versus the 2nd deck. We like rooms that are close to the elevators, close to the Lido, close to the restaurant, close to the front desk. In short, we like every room, and if we had to pick, we'd never make it on the ship. For us, a "C" class room isn't worth any more money than any other outside room, but when we book a guarantee... we could get any inside room. I understand the front of the ship only gets to the dock a few minutes earlier than the back of the ship!

We went through a TA for our upcoming cruise and my DH chose the cabin, a SY - we have the cabin number - I always assumed this would be our cabin, but I am now wondering if this could change? Can it ?

I know anything is possible, but even when we book ourselves, my husb always chooses what he wants, same with airline seats as well.

If we have our cabin number does that mean we are guaranteed?

Our TA did say that odds were slim to none on an upgrade during the holidays, so what she did was find us a great rate on the SY. I mean I would love an upgrade, but not at the risk of being in an undesirable cabin.

When people say they keep checking, what exactly or you checking, I went to the HAL site and I cannot find anything that shows which cabins are booked.

Thanks-

Guarantees are nearly always for a specific category. At one time there were a few guarantees that had non-category letters such as x, but I haven't seen that for several years. You can book any category (letter) as a guarantee. For most specials/promos, the cabin can be booked as either a guarantee or a specific cabin. There is not a difference is price. We had an HH guarantee on our last cruise, but could have chosen a specific HH cabin. We always book guarantees. Our assigned cabins have been 1 to 4 letters higher; usually one or two higher. Usually I can figure out why the cabin wasn't booked by someone. We've been assigned cabins by the laundry, by the elevator, beside a break door, or around a corner. That is the advantage of a guarantee to both passenger and cruiseline - we get a better chance of a small upgrade and they get flexibility and fill cabins that weren't chosen.

So the price isn't less for a guarantee and the cabin that is assigned is the cabin you get. No choice.

We went through a TA for our upcoming cruise and my DH chose the cabin, a SY - we have the cabin number - I always assumed this would be our cabin, but I am now wondering if this could change? Can it ?

It could change, if your record is marked "upgrade allowed." You could end up in the least desirable cabin of a higher grade, which some people do not want, so they ensure their record is marked - no upgrade.

I know anything is possible, but even when we book ourselves, my husb always chooses what he wants, same with airline seats as well.

If we have our cabin number does that mean we are guaranteed?

What people mean by a guarantee is a booking with no assignment, where they will receive an eventual assignment of that grade or higher. If you have chosen a specific cabin AND your record is marked "no upgrade", you will get your specific cabin (assuming it is in good working order).

When people say they keep checking, what exactly or you checking, I went to the HAL site and I cannot find anything that shows which cabins are booked.

Thanks-

They are checking on the on-line check-in or cruise personalizer to see if the cabin assignment has been updated from GUAR to a specific number.

I always assumed this would be our cabin, but I am now wondering if this could change? Can it ?
Yes, if your DH said he would like to "be considered for" or "would accept" an upgrade. Usually, though, when you choose a specific cabin that's what you get, and the upgrades are given to the people who book guarantees.

Generally people with guarantees (no specific cabin # booked) are told to "keep checking" their On-line Check-In pages to find out what their assignment will be.

EDIT: PianoManNYC - you typed faster ... but at least we agree! :D

Yes, if your DH said he would like to "be considered for" or "would accept" an upgrade. Usually, though, when you choose a specific cabin that's what you get, and the upgrades are given to the people who book guarantees.

Generally people with guarantees (no specific cabin # booked) are told to "keep checking" their On-line Check-In pages to find out what their assignment will be.

OK, we are going to have to start flipping a coin to see who takes the next one!:D But wait, I leave in 22 minutes for Eurodam! I'll leave these nice people in your hands!

Thank you for the info. before I had posted this question I had searched the prior threads and I was not sure if it was more like a gamble if we said yes to possible upgrade, what if the cabin was great but it was next to the outside elevator ( for example) and I read where sometimes if you agree to an upgrade they do not necessarily contact your TA - it is just asssigned.

I am sure we will be happy with the SY .

Thanks again -

Pianoman - Have a great cruise : )

We much prefer to book a cabin # and location, but sometimes you have to book GUAR. This happens if you are booking a segment of a longer cruise, and we have done this twice. We got an upgrade the first time, and the second, we'll have to wait to find out for another year!

I often travel solo on HAL and most of the time the guarantee is a better rate. For example on the Westerdam a few years ago I booked a inside guarantee and received an outside HH. I saved about $200 on this move instead of booking the HH outright.

This is not always the case and like someone else stated, if I book a guarantee I know it's a cabin that I want to stay in.

You have some people that get upset when they book an upgrade and don't receive one. It's worst when they complain about the cabin they receive.

If you know where on the ship that you want to be at, book a certain cabin number and have your peace of mind.

Happy sailing!!

I read where sometimes if you agree to an upgrade they do not necessarily contact your TA - it is just asssigned.
I believe usually they don't ask, but just change you. If you definitely don't want to be moved be sure to have your TA mark "no upgrade" on your booking. And yes, that can be done after-the-fact.
You have some people that get upset when they book an upgrade and don't receive one. It's worst when they complain about the cabin they receive.
Once DW and I got an upgrade to a cabin we didn't like too much ... but we only complained to each other! :D

That really gets my goat too! Someone complained on here recently and they went up several categories and didn't like the cabin. Please...I feel really sorry for you:rolleyes: .

I booked a guarantee to save $, as I travel solo, every bit helps. I book steerage (Cheapest inside :rolleyes: ), so the location isn't such an issue for me. Also, I haven't sailed on HAL before, so I don't know where the best (for me) cabins are yet. Once on board, I may see the perfect choice for next time, and book it.

Archived