Moby Dick or Captain Marvins

miss honey

We used Moby Dick and loved that group!!

Don't be alarmed by the "purple limo"....it's a school bus painted purple.

It's actually fine :)

The drive to get to the boat was pleasant....the guys on board the Moby Dick are funny, entertaining, knowledgable, patient.....can't say enough GOOD things about them.

If I were going back to Grand Cayman for this excursion, I'd use them in a heartbeat!!:)

We chose Captain Marvins, because for $40 they have two snorkel stops--Coral Gardens, and the barrier reef. They are both incredible, both different, and both worth the stop. Then they go to Stingray City. I was in Grand Caymans 2 weeks ago (and last summer), and had Captain Marvin himself drive the boat. We had 22 on board.

Can't remember if it is Moby Dicks or another--that also has 2 stops--one is to see starfish. I read on these boards it was not very exciting--guides dive down and bring them up and that's it.

Sounds like you will have a great time with either!

Two years ago, we did Moby Dick and would go back in a heart beat.

The ship's sponsored tour arrived at Sting Ray City after we did. They were packed like sardines. On Moby Dick, we were very comfortable. The Captain and his crew were very helpful.

We also had a snorkle stop before Sting Ray City.

On our way back, we had the choice at stopping at 7 Mile Beach or the ship. We decided on 7 Mile Beach.

Whichever one you choose, lifting a sting ray is quite an experience. I lifted several out of the water for a few seconds.

Bill

Atlantic Canada

We just got back from the grand Cayman's and did our excursion with Cap't marvins. This has got to be the best excursion my family and I have ever done. There were only about 20 people on our boat. We did three stops. Two snorkling and one with the String rays. The guide actually dives in the water with you. On our first stop he actually held a sting ray so we could get to touch it before we got to string ray sand bar.

I would do Capt Marvins again in a heart beat!!:)

Help!

Booking for November. Which should I choose for the Stingray/ sandbar excusions. Carolyn

We just returned from our cruise on the Legend. In Grand Cayman, we did the Stingray city and snorkel with Fat Fish Adventures. It was just me and my DH on jetskis with the tour owner, Peter and his son. It was FANTASTIC!! He also has jet boats if you aren't into jet skis. LOVED IT!! There were other tour boats out there, but they had 20-30 people minimum each. Our excursion was much more personalized. After sting ray city, we snorkeled at Rum Point. Beautiful beach.:) :) They actually got me off the jetski and onto the sandbar to hold a sting ray; I never thought I would do it!!

I can only speak to my experience w/ the Captain last week. They were so great to work with. Patient, knowledgeable, and helpful. I do understand from other related threads that Moby Dick and Kelly's are good as well. You will spend less booking directly w/ them vs. cruise ship. Have fun whatever you choose!

• 3 weeks later...
One thing I liked about Captain Marvins is that if for some reason the ship does not make Grand Cayman they do not charge your CC and the reservation is cancelled. No need to call.

Moby Dick is cash only, at the pier, so the same would hold true when booking through them.

We had a fabulous time with Moby Dick, and will book with them when we go back.

We have only used Captain Marvin (twice) and really enjoy them. No complaints.

One of the reasons that we use them is for the CD they film of our trip. It cost $50 and they mail it to you about a week after you get home. They add 'island music' to it and it is priceless.

Nativeway offers pictures for $20 each.

Does anyone know what Moby Dick offers?

We have only used Captain Marvin (twice) and really enjoy them. No complaints.

One of the reasons that we use them is for the CD they film of our trip. It cost $50 and they mail it to you about a week after you get home. They add 'island music' to it and it is priceless.

Nativeway offers pictures for $20 each.

Does anyone know what Moby Dick offers?

From what I understand Moby Dick is about the tour, not the upsell. Anybody know for sure?

We did Captain Marvin in 2002. Loved it. How far out should one think about booking? What about taking babies? Our 9 month old will be going. Thinking we can take take turns getting in the water. There will be 6 adults, plus a 4 yo. We don't want to leave her on the ship. Think that would work?

Moby Dicks gives you the experience...you take your own pictures....

Good in theory, but the film we purchased was taken by the professional diver and is something we couldn't have done. Very high quality. She filmed from the bottom up showing us swimming and snorkeling and then filmed special things such as a couple of courting butterfly fish (normally very hard to find and quite shy), a pufferfish, jelly fish, a lobster, stingrays, a myriad of tropical fish and coral types which were all below us while we snorkeled.

Nothing better than snuggling up with hubby, sharing a bottle of Prosecco and reliving the day by watching that film (and the great island music they use)...especially when the next cruise is a year away :) It was worth every penny to us...and no hard sell, they simply asked if we were interested and we agreed.

We'll be back with Capt. M this December and can't wait!!!!!

We dont think of the CD of our reef and stingray city as upsell. The first time we went the kids were young and it is on VHS, the second time is a CD.

We love watching it! It captures all the fish and the people on the tour.

Never pressure to buy. We buy one copy and make copies for everyone that we travel with.

Moby Dicks gives you the experience...you take your own pictures....

Exactly. We went out with Moby Dicks on 9/24 and had the time of our lives. We snorkled at the reef where the boat captain coxed a Moray Eel out of some coral so we could all get a look and take pics if we had underwater cameras (we did and the pics are great!).

I was stung by a jellyfish at the reef and Mark was excellent. No, he didn't pee on me! He had some salve to put on it that helped trememdously and kept checking on me throughout the trip. At the sandbar, he was in the water with us the entire time helping everyone hold the stingrays, giving background on them and the area and just making sure everyone had a great time.

I will definitely do this again next time in Grand Cayman!

I couldn't get the second article to open (kept freezing the computer), so I'm not sure about any fines being levied at this time for people who feed the eels. Let me set something straight - I never said Our boat driver fed the eel. He DID NOT as far as I could see. He had a whistle-type thing he blew and it came out a bit. I never felt threatened by the eel and we weren't that close to it.

This was several hundred yards from Stingray City. I never saw any eels at Stingray City.

We always travel with a large group(46+). College friends. We've used both CM and MD. Both tour groups are the same in the way they conduct the tour.

They stop a a reef or two, then stingray city. The tour guys get in the water, hold the rays for a kiss, everyone in the group gets to touch/hold a ray. All the same. Both are great. No difference in the tours. The only thing that sets them apart is the video CM has to offer. No, you do not have to buy. No pressure sell. They have a scuba diver get in the water with you and video tapes while you are swimming at the reef, at the sandbar, and while on the boat. They add Caribbean music and it looks like something you would watch on the Travel Channel. And, yes, you can also use your own camera if you want.

GinnyJ, you are correct. Tour groups are not allowed to include eels in any tour. In July 2008, a ten year old was severely injured from one while being shown one on a Nativeway tour. The father was injured also trying to help his son.

I am really tossing up between these two. They both sound equal in being able to provide an excellent experience with the stingrays so the deal maker/breaker for us would be on-time reliability.

I can't find an exact departure time for Moby Dick's. This is waht his site says.

There's no minimum (or maximum) age for this tour both young and old enjoy this just as much. A great tour for large family groups. First tour leaves anywhere from 8.00 to 9:30 am depending on the day's ships schdule arrival times. For ships that arrive later, or if the morning tour is full we often schedule a second tour tour departing anywhere from 10.40 to 11:40 am. Second tour is quieter on the sandbar, the stingrays are hungry as ever, and another advantage is not rushing to catch an early tender off the ship. NB. We don't alway's run a second tour especially if only one ship is in port.

Captain Marvins says this.

SHORT EXCURSION

Please read the description of our snorkel trips below.

All times are local times, and we are on Eastern Standard Time year-round.

Also ask about taking a Hell and Turtle Farm Island tour before or after your Stingray City trip.

Trip Length

2.5 Hours

8:30AM - 10:45AM, 11:15AM - 1:30PM, 1:45PM - 4PM

I am leaning towards Captain Marvin's first tour if we can get off the ship in time as we want more time to do Boatswain's Beach. We are interested more in the aviary than the turtles, so the usual package for the turtle farm doesn't suit us.

Can anyone confirm the reliability of either company for being on time?

Archived