Uniworld Amsterdam to Vienna - Great Trip!!

captgeo

We've just returned from taking Uniworld's Amsterdam to Vienna trip (Oct 5 - 18) on the River Duchess, with a few days post-cruise in Vienna. The ship, staff, food, etc. couldn't have been better; we had a marvelous time. It's quite a bit different from ocean cruising, but we enjoyed it immensely. The weather was a bit on the cool side (at least for us) as they are having an early fall, but we were blessed with almost no rain - just a few early morning sprinkles. We upgraded to the Danube deck and are glad we did for a variety of reasons. Our cabin was a bit small (compared to some ocean cruise cabins we've had), but totally adequate with lots of closet and drawer space and a big picture window. We found the post-cruise Intercontinental Hotel in Vienna to be one of the nicest hotels we've ever been in -- Vienna is VERY expensive, however. All and all, we feel we received more than excellent value for our retirement dollars. We're now thinking about Uniworld's Italy cruise for next year, with the Orient Express from London to get there.

Best wishes from the fabulous Florida Keys.

Captain George

• 1 month later...

Just found this posting on Uniworld. There's not much info on this line. We'll be leaving Tues., Dec. 28, for Vienna to take their Danube New Year's Eve cruise. I think we're on the River Duchess, too, maybe the River Countess. Not sure right now. I was glad to see a favorable comment on this. Most people I've talked to haven't heard of Uniworld...even travel agents!

The cruise goes to Vienna, Bratislov, newyear's in Budapest, then back to Vienna for couple of days. We are staying on and going to Prague for a few days afterword. I am curious about what people wore at dinner and during the day onboard, so any more information I can hear before Tuesday would be great.

We just went on Uniworld's Christmas Market cruise on the River Princess. Onboard dress was casual and comfortable. Most people dressed up a bit for dinner, but still casual. For the Captain's dinner, men wore coats and ties, women wore dressy outfits.

It was a great trip, and I hope you enjoy yours.

Dennis U

We just returned yesterday from Uniworld's Christmas Markets cruise on the River Duchess -- Nuremberg to Vienna with two pre-cruise days in Prague. The trip for us was magic. We loved the itinerary, the ship, the staff, our fellow cruisers! I will be writing a detailed report soon, but I just wanted to say that we think Uniworld is the best.

Great! We leave tomorrow. I'm packing for very cold weather. Look forward to your report. We'll be staying in Prague for a few days post-trip. Anything you can tell me that would be helpful would be appreciated. Food good? All Americans? Plenty of time in the cities? Thanks.

You are correct to pack for cold weather. It was very cold, often below freezing, but we had clear blue sky most of the days. I understand it is snowing now though. The captain sailed on through the night from Nuremberg because he was concerned about all the ice in the Main canal. We could hear the crunching of the ice! The crew always had hot tea or gluwein to hand to us as we returned each day from the tours. Our cruise was all Americans but was a complete cross section -- old, young, Black, White, Asian, from California to Florida. Everyone was very nice and friendly. The food on the River Duchess was very good. The breakfast and lunch were buffet and had a great selection. There was typically a beef, fish, and vegetarian choice at dinner -- always a four course dinner. Our cruise was about 3/4 full so the interaction with the entire crew was very personal. I had the feeling that even if the ship was at capacity, it would be the same. Every day there were tours and there was time to see the towns on your own as well. We went to a Strauss/Mozart concert in Vienna on Christmas Eve and went to midnight mass at St. Stephens afterward on our own with the cruise director. Sometimes we had to wait for bus transportation between the ship and town, but we also had the opportunity to walk into most towns from the ship.

Have a great cruise. I wish we could go again!

Archived