Just back from the Dawn - ask away!

cruisebermuda

Thanks for the info! ;) Didn't mean to sound stupid, but just wanted to make sure.:confused: I would hate to have found out that I needed to have something additional than I already printed, then shreaded beacuse being updated, printed again because of being revised, shreaded again, and printed for the final set. LOL

That would surly be a sick feeling to be standing on the dock waving at the ship leaving. :eek:. At least with all my shereaded documents I could really give them a ticker tape send off for sure. :D

The way the cruise lines are moving everything to electronic docs (tickets, luggage tags, etc.) I'm tempted to just dump everything to a flash drive and hand that to the ticket agent at the pier.

Whats good for the goose...........:rolleyes:

How was the dining in the aqua and ventian? did you have to wait long? and what times did you go?

We went to venetian twice. The food was ok not great. The portions are extremely small, service not great either. If you go early or later you should have no problem. We went at 5:45 with a reservation(party of 8) and sat right down. When we left around 7-7:30 the line was outrageous!

We went to look at the Spa pool...it really is gorgeous and if I wasn't traveling with my kids, I would have bought that pass in a second. The pool was nice (and empty), the VIEW was amazing and the chairs had plush cushioning on them.

Thanks very much for the informative review CriuseBermuda. I have one question though...do you happen to know if the spa pool is a hot (hydrotherapy) pool, or if the water is cool?

I'm happy you had a fun cruise, and that you didn't let the Latitudes coordinator ruin it for you!

Hi CV - I'll answer this one for you (we were on the Dawn 6/08). The lap pool in the spa is just that, tepid water that you can swim laps in.

There is also a thalassotherapy jetted "pool" that has the built-in metal loungers to lay back on while being massaged by the jets. This water is much warmer but not hot per-se. It's very relaxing and the strong jetted streams of water were great on my back (I have arthritis).......

The spa on the Dawn is worth every penny and many times DH and I were the only ones there.........

The way the cruise lines are moving everything to electronic docs (tickets, luggage tags, etc.) I'm tempted to just dump everything to a flash drive and hand that to the ticket agent at the pier.

Whats good for the goose...........:rolleyes:

I really like this idea. May have to keep it in mind just or humors sake.

PE

CruiseBermuda - sound like you had a great time. One quick question - where did you get the special bus to horseshoe bay? And did it take you back to the ship? And how often did it run? Sorry, that is three questions.

We ate in the Venetian on embarkment day for lunch. For dinner that night we ate in Cagneys, 2 for one. Well worth it. If you happen to be in a cabin with a balcony there is a new set up for breakfast in the Aqua dinning room. We did not go to the main dinning rooms for lunch or dinner on this cruise. But have eaten there many times. If you do not like it order something else.

Actually, so long as you show up with the required ID that's all you really need. Everything else just makes it faster and more convenient :D

Thanks for the info! ;) Didn't mean to sound stupid, but just wanted to make sure.:confused: I would hate to have found out that I needed to have something additional than I already printed, then shreaded beacuse being updated, printed again because of being revised, shreaded again, and printed for the final set. LOL

That would surly be a sick feeling to be standing on the dock waving at the ship leaving. :eek:. At least with all my shereaded documents I could really give them a ticker tape send off for sure. :D

I'm not sure...but other people seemed to have "tickets". We booked directly through NCL and I brought everything we received from them. Maybe someone who actually had the tickets can explain where they got them!! I did the advance registration only a few days prior to the trip, so maybe if I had done it sooner, something would have come??

After final payment and after your Advance Guest Registration is completed you should be able to print out your E-docs. Mine are 11 pages long but page 2 & 3 are the "Cruise Tickets". The rest are the contract and other info. You should get an email telling you that you can print them. I got the email from my TA but they still weren't available for about 2 more days. I printed mine out 8/22 for our cruise 10/5. If you log into "My cruises" at NCL you can print them out once they are available email or not.

How was the dining in the aqua and ventian? did you have to wait long? and what times did you go?

Hi, my group of 16 just got off the Dawn yesterday. We ate in both the Venitian and Aqua several nights. It was great. Sometimes we were split into tables of 8, sometimes 4 & 6 if only 10 of us were eating together that night etc. The most we ever had to wait was 20-min.

The food was great, I never had a bad meal. In fact, at each dinner I would order two entre's because of the information I read here on the boards and the wait staff eagerly fufilled my requests no questions asked. I was great if you wanted to try different dishes, multiple apps, or deserts.

Genman

In fact, at each dinner I would order two entre's because of the information I read here on the boards and the wait staff eagerly fufilled my requests no questions asked. I was great if you wanted to try different dishes, multiple apps, or deserts.

Genman

I've been known to do that as well...Sometimes I wish they would make half portions available so I could try a couple different entrées without feeling like a pig! :eek: (but I always seem to get over it without any major damage to my psyche) LOL

CruiseBermuda - sound like you had a great time. One quick question - where did you get the special bus to horseshoe bay? And did it take you back to the ship? And how often did it run? Sorry, that is three questions.

The bus was at the regular bus stop at Dockyard. It's a short walk from the ship, or a free shuttle ride (looks like a little train). It runs very regularly, at least 3-4x an hour, if not more during the busies times. Coming back to the ship, it was right up the hill from Horseshoe Bay (again, at the regular bus stop). You can buy bus tokens right at the pier if you need them, or the pass works too. As I mentioned, we did tickets, because we were able to get them in St. George.

just read on next page someone ate at a 2 for 1 in cagneys.

Thats OUR favorite thing !!! We did that the last two years on the crown, we'll worth it and if your big eaters and hungry later on you could always eat at the buffet or another restaurant. For us it was plenty and we look forward to our october bermuda cruise in another month.

We're on diets now :-)

Did you notice if they had any 2 for 1 specials for the spec dining rooms advertised in the daily?

the 2 for 1 is only if you have a coupon book. On our sailing on the 17th-24th, it was never offered. I did ask the lady at the desk for reservations and said that they only offer it when you give them a coupon. Some ta offer a ncl coupon book as their perk for booking with them.

Hi CV - I'll answer this one for you (we were on the Dawn 6/08). The lap pool in the spa is just that, tepid water that you can swim laps in.

There is also a thalassotherapy jetted "pool" that has the built-in metal loungers to lay back on while being massaged by the jets. This water is much warmer but not hot per-se. It's very relaxing and the strong jetted streams of water were great on my back (I have arthritis).......

The spa on the Dawn is worth every penny and many times DH and I were the only ones there.........

Thanks for the good info watchdiva! There was the same over-the-top pool set up in the spa on the Noordam's last October. I think I'll have to force myself to go check it out on the Dawn! ;)

Thanks for the good info watchdiva! There was the same over-the-top pool set up in the spa on the Noordam's last October. I think I'll have to force myself to go check it out on the Dawn! ;)

FYI, on the last sea day, when we went to see it late afternoon, it was packed. I was under the impression that they limit the #, but literally every chair was taken AND there were several people in the pool. It may have been because we had just come through a quick rain shower and people had moved inside.

Hi Cruisebermuda,

Could you please provide more info on the parking lot on 51st St. Is it gated. I don't know if you are allowed to provide the name and number. Did you make reservations for it? Did you walk to the pier from there with your luggage or drop off luggage first at the oier? Any info you can provide will be helpful as we are taking this cruise in Oct. Thanks

Hi Cruisebermuda,

Could you please provide more info on the parking lot on 51st St. Is it gated. I don't know if you are allowed to provide the name and number. Did you make reservations for it? Did you walk to the pier from there with your luggage or drop off luggage first at the oier? Any info you can provide will be helpful as we are taking this cruise in Oct. Thanks

The parking was an indoor garage. I did print out a reservation for a space, but I don't think it was really required. It was called Hudson View Garage, at 747 10th Ave (it's on 51st between 10th and 11th). It's $147 for the week, which you can pay by cash or credit card when you get back. It's part of NYC's Icon Parking, which is a very well-run group. We have parked with them many times, never a problem. We had 2 cars and 7 people, and lots of stuff, so we dropped off 5 people and the luggage and the other 2 people parked the car and walked back. They weren't even gone 15 min round trip. It was very easy to do a drop off and then go park at the garage.

I do have the Freestyle Daily's...but no menus. Do you have specific questions? I don't know that I can scan them, but am pretty sure someone has before...I remember seeing them before we went.

i just wanted to read them. if you cant scan, where did you see before?

Someone on my roll call wanted to know which side of the ship to choose so they had a good view at Kings wharf. (water) Several Questions:

1) I read somewhere that the ship is achored for a night or 2 then goes to the dock once another ship leaves. Is that the case?

2) Is the ship facing inward?

3) what are the view from Starboard?

4) whar are the views from port?

5) How are the BB cabins? The have either 6-8 people going. I am assuming there are 2 per room but if not, will the BB's hold 3 or 4 and how comfortable is that?

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Sandy

The anchoring was for a few specific sailings this past summer. Ours was docked for all 3 days. We did turn around the last day in the early morning, so the ship was facing the right way to leave port. So, two days, we faced one way, one day the other.

It doesn't matter which side you are on...the view isn't great from either side.

I didn't see a BB, but you can go on NCL's site and see which rooms hold how many people. We had 4 people in an inside cabin (and 3 in the cabin next door). On the Dawn, space was fine. We were on the Majesty, and on that ship, definitely needed a Superior stateroom, not the regular. Regular on the Majesty is fine for 2 people (but still tight).

Archived