Fishing Shore Excursion???

jerrytammy0721

My husband and I did the Fly Fishing in Costa Maya.

We first took a 14 passenger van to Costa de Cocos Lodge (about 1 hour ride away) where the pangas went out of. It was 2 passengers per panga/guide. I don't know how they assign guides, seemed random to me. Our focus was bonefish so the guide, Alex, primarily found us bones, although hubby did fight a barracuda and a permit got off my line. :o We also saw some kind of ray which I took pictures of. My hubby said you can also catch tarpons, you just have to tell the guide what you are looking for. All the Costa de Cocos guides seem good.

Although you are on the boat for 4 hours total, the boat ride to the flats was about 20 minutes, so you really only get about 3 hours worth of fishing. We did not eat the sandwich lunch because we did not want to cut into fishing time. The sandwich looked like ham and cheese on white bread.

Are there any specific information you are looking for?

This is what it cost us in 2007:

The excursion was $199 per person. My research showed that this is reasonably priced considering the ride to the remote location and the normal price that the lodge charge for flyfishing guide service. If you like, you can do a web search for "Costa de Cocos" and "flyfishing Chetumal Bay" for more info on the flats and species.

We tipped the fishing guide $40, because it is a half day fishing trip, and the guide did get us into lots of fish.

I don't know if this excurion fills up quick or not since I purchased this excusion pretty much as soon as I could. I did not want to chance it selling out. When we went, there were only 12 total spots. We were the only ones from Carnival, the other 10 anglers were from other cruise lines. So I guess it all depends on how many other ships are at port on the same day.

BTW, Belize has good flyfishing too, just not through Carnival. Also if you dock in Cozumel there's also flyfishing opportunities -- hubby hooked up with a guide on Cozumel, $400 + $50 tip for a full day of flyfishing.

Tight lines.

Archived