Anse Chastanet or Anse Cochon?

lawtyger

I've done some searching but I'm still trying to get a handle on the difference in snorkeling between these two sites. What I've gotten from my reading is:

Anse Chastanet is an hour drive from the port, really bad roads, beach is darker said with some mentioning slight oil spotted, and more snorkeling was rated from "o.k." to really good.

Anse Cochon I've found less information on. Sounds like you have to get there by water taxi but I'm not sure how long a trip that is.

My wife and I love to snorkel and typically snorkel most if not all of our ports when possible. But, I'm hesitant to waste the two hour round trip driving time to go to Anse Chastanet if it is just o.k. The post that concerned me expressed that compared to snorkeling done in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Anse Chastanet only was "o.k."

I guess some of our questions are:

(1) How far is Anse Cochon from the port and is it water taxi accessible only;

(2) Given the distance to Anse Chastanet, is the snorkeling at Anse Cochon comparable to the degree that we'd be better off snorkeling Anse Cochon and have time to do something else (rather than the 2 hour cab ride);

(3) Are there any other snorkeling spots anyone would recommend.

Thanks for any advice.

Archived