Snorkeling in Dominica

lawtyger

My wife and I will be in Dominica on the Carnival Victory the week of 11/9. We are avid snorkelers and are trying to determine whether Dominica is one of the ports we should snorkel.

At this point, we are wondering how practical it is to actually snorkel from shore. For example, I located the following information in which the language I underlined seems to indicate these areas may be shore accessible (i.e. say some excursion money since we have 6 total ports and other paid excursions in mind).

Dominica's Unique Champagne Reef

Discover the wonders of Dominica's sub-aquatic sulphur spring "Champagne." Snorkelers can get a first-hand look at Dominica's untamed volcanic activity, in only 4 to 15 feet of water. Hot water and bubbles filter out of vents, attracting a variety of marine life. Parrotfish, octopus, squid, and other amazing underwater creatures join you as you glide through the bubbles at this natural phenomenon. Barrel sponges, vase sponges, brain coral, and finger coral cloak the reef. Champagne Reef is close to shore and provides a perfect example of the wide diversification of underwater life that Dominica has to offer:

Scotts Head Wall

The Soufriere - Scott's Head Bay is formed by an ancient submerged volcano and is home to an amazing amount of marine life. Scotts Head Wall forms part of this submerged volcano. Here you can snorkel along the top of the underwater wall which is covered in hard and soft corals and schools of reef fish. Experienced snorkelers can follow the coastline to the point where the wall falls away, revealing a dramatic seascape. After a brief swim, you'll be surprised by the sudden appearance of a shallow plateau engulfed in yellow tube sponges.

Has anyone ever snorkeled either of these areas. If so, did you (or could you have) accessed them via the shore after, say a, short taxi ride?

Archived