Caribbean Princess Review 8/24/08 to 8/31/08 Canada/New England

DonnaK

Donna

Another question for you....did they offer the Chefs Table on the CB. We did it on the Crown in April and would love to do it again next week!

Thanks....Larry

Hmmm...I'm not sure of the answer to this, as it was not something we looked into doing.

Let me jump in here too. Yes, they did offer the Chef's Table. It was on Wednesday night (Saint John) and it was delightful. There were 11 of us present--one couple from London and they had a 14 year old girl and a 17 year old boy. There was also another couple from England that we met on our roll call and at our meet and greet.

Donna,

Great review. We have taken 1 cruise each on RC and Carnival and are now booked on Princess so this is great info. I do have a question that maybe you or others reading can answer regarding comparison of RC and Princess. In many other posts it seems that there are quite a bit of "extra" costs for things on Princess such as specialty ice cream, sushi, coffee, pots of hot chocolate in afternoon and evening. Can you address this? I do know of the specialty restaurants on RC and Princess and no problem with these. Just some of the food that were included as part of cruise on RC.

Thanks for any info you or other posters can provide.

Donna,

Great review. We have taken 1 cruise each on RC and Carnival and are now booked on Princess so this is great info. I do have a question that maybe you or others reading can answer regarding comparison of RC and Princess. In many other posts it seems that there are quite a bit of "extra" costs for things on Princess such as specialty ice cream, sushi, coffee, pots of hot chocolate in afternoon and evening. Can you address this? I do know of the specialty restaurants on RC and Princess and no problem with these. Just some of the food that were included as part of cruise on RC.

Thanks for any info you or other posters can provide.

We're budget cruisers, and have a very small Sea Pass bill at the end of the cruise, because we do not buy "extra cost" services. It's not necessary to pay extra for specialty ice cream when Princess offers a free ice cream bar in the buffet area from 3:30-4:30 each afterrnoon, and has a wonderful selection of ice cream flavors at dinnertime. We aren't looking to eat much more ice cream than that! As for the coffee, we drank what was free - it's not as vile as other people say it is. (Once it was terribly strong in the buffet area, so we just went to another dispensing station, where it was much better). We don't buy the soda card because Iced Tea is just fine. Etc.

Really, we didn't find that there was much difference between the two lines with regard to what's included and what's extra. Maybe that's because we weren't looking for more beyond what was included, though.

To be honest, I think you're right. I was trying to be "nice" in my review, and not mention that the stewards, while courteous and well-meaning, provided barely adequate service. We had to ask for many things that should have been routinely done as part of the job.

We were on the same cruise as you and found the same thing. Our steward was pleasant but just adequate. We had to ask for things and some things we never did get. It's a shame that there is such a difference among the stewards.

We were on the same ship for the July 28th Caribbean cruise. We had one of the best, if not the best, stewards that we've ever had. He was absolutely fantastic! We asked for extra towels and they were always there. We didn't have to ask for anything else because he anticipated our needs. He took care of things that I wouldn't even have expected - one day I was in a hurry and and folded my nightgown inside out. When we got back to the room it was on the pillow folded the right way!

Boy I wish I was back on the ship. Oh well, only 170 days more to my next Princess Cruise.

Wendy

Archived