Short Cruise - Carnival Paradise vs. Monarch of the Seas?

tdev32

Hi,

I've found pretty good comparable deals for both ships/trips (4nights) and need some help deciding one way or the other. I've only cruised once before, Alaska on Holland America Zaandam, which was great.

My girl and I are in our late 30's, like to have fun but not "stupid partying" ala spring-break. Good food, good amenities, many fun activities, good entertainment, nice public rooms/areas and a good gym would be top of our list for priorities. Some elegance/class to the ship would be nice too, just nothing to "cheesy".

Also, for curiosity, which would be closer to the Holland America ship? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

We were on Monarch Of The Sea 3 or 4 X'mas ago for the 4 days cruise and the ship was very worn out and the food was not that appealing at all. We booked the balcony and felt like we were staying at the low end motel. I have never been on Carnival Spirit before, but ,probably any ship will be better than Monarch Of The Sea. We will never sail on Monarch Of The Sea again.

Hi,

I've found pretty good comparable deals for both ships/trips (4nights) and need some help deciding one way or the other. I've only cruised once before, Alaska on Holland America Zaandam, which was great.

My girl and I are in our late 30's, like to have fun but not "stupid partying" ala spring-break. Good food, good amenities, many fun activities, good entertainment, nice public rooms/areas and a good gym would be top of our list for priorities. Some elegance/class to the ship would be nice too, just nothing to "cheesy".

Also, for curiosity, which would be closer to the Holland America ship? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

I have been on both the Carnival Paradise and the RC Monarch of the Seas. The Monarch was OK, but the rooms were extremely small. The basic interior cabin on the Monarch is 117 sq.ft. the Paradise's room are 184 sq.ft. Believe me in a cabin that makes a big difference. There is much less storage and the beds at that time were to low to put suitcases under them to get them out of the way. Carnival has plenty of storage and also has bedding comparable to Holland America.

Depending on when you cruise you may run into "stupid partying" on any ship. Stay away from Summer, Spring and Fall breaks.

The food and entertainment are pretty much the same on both, although we think the comedians on Carnival better.

If I were going to take one of the four day cruises, I would choose Carnival. Mainly because of the room size and the bedding, but then again, I have never had a bad cruise.

I was on the Monarch of the seas in december with my daughter. We had an oceanview and the rooms were small but cozy. We did not at anytime feel like we were staying in a low end motel. The Moarch is an older ship but the service was great and the food was just fine. I have cruised on the Diamond Princess and it is a beautiful ship but it was also built in 2004 and the Monarch was built in 1986. So for its age it is actually in great shape. We loved the ports and the people on board. I would vote for the Monarch. thats just my opinion. I have never been on a carnival ship but I have heard that it attracts a more lets just say rowdy crowd then Royal Carribean. Hope that helps.

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I have not sailed on the Monarch, but have sailed RCCL. And I like Carnival better. I thought the food and entertainment were better on Carnival. My dh and I loved the Paradise so much we sailed her 2 years in a row. I would choose Carnival over RCCL. (still haven't figured out how dh got me booked on a Princess cruise:rolleyes: )

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

I have also been on both ships. As stated the Paradise is larger, however the service and food on both ships seemed about equal to me. Carnival does have the pizza bar while I don't remember one on the Monarch. The other big thing is the Monarch had a port stop in San Diego while the Paradise had that day at sea.

Gary

I love the Monarch. The cabins are small and cozy, but the beds and bedding have all been upgraded. And for a 3 or 4 day cruise you don't need a lot of room. You can put your luggage under the bed, and the closets are plenty big. The bathrooms are the tiniest I've ever seen, but again hopefully you won't be living in there! We've always had excellent service, and I think the food has actually improved lately. Yes, there is a pizza bar, and also I think the room service menu is more extensive on RC.

I've taken many friends on Monarch, and everyone has had a great time.

Never been on Carnival-

been on Monarch 3 times and will be sorry to see her leave LA-

The Monarch is older but she has a great crew who seem to really enjoy their jobs-food and entertainment are quite good. The rooms are cozy but quite pleasant.

I believe all 3 and 4 day cruises appeal to a party crowd-21st birthdays, bachelor/bachelorette parties, etc. VERY different from HAL to Alaska.

whatever you decide-ENJOY!

Robin

• 1 month later...

Been on both, and much preferred the Monarch over the Paradise. Carnival just reminds me too much of lower grade vegas hotels.... Both are small. The 3-5 day trips are cheap, easy, and fun to do for little money. Great way to "try out" cruising.

Been on both, and much preferred the Monarch over the Paradise. Carnival just reminds me too much of lower grade vegas hotels.... Both are small. The 3-5 day trips are cheap, easy, and fun to do for little money. Great way to "try out" cruising.

We have been on both Monarch and Paradise and I agree with you completely. The Paradise looked cheap and garish and seemed kind of low rent compared to other cruise ships I have been on. While the Monarch is older, it has been beautifully maintained and is much more elegant and just feels cleaner and more inviting. While the cabins on Monarch are small, the beds are wonderful and the decor is nice as opposed to the horrendous orange plastic on the Paradise. It looked like a 70's era dorm room! I would cruise on the Monarch again in a second.

Exactly. Plus I can't go on either again since I traveled with my ex on both and don't want that memory coming back up again, haha!

Trying NCL Star for a change. Never been on NCL and thought a) great prices, and b) different!

Archived