Comparing Monarch of the Seas with Holland America

tdev32

Hi,

I've only cruised once before and have an opportunity to go for 4nights to Mexican Riviera on either Monarch of the Seas or Carnival Paradise. Both prices are similar but Monarch is slightly more.

I was on the Zaandam to Alaska about 4 years ago and enjoyed it. This trip will be myself and girlfriend and we are both in our late 30's. We like good food, entertainment, a little upscale surroundings (not too much though, not too cheesy either), fun activities, nice/clean/polished public areas, and a good gym to workout in.

Any information would be great, especially from those who've travelled both Monarch and Paradise. Thanks!

Have sailed both RCCL and HAL but not Carnival.

Hal has the best food in their dining room, no need to do the specialty restaurants. Service is also over and above. But RCCL has by far, in my opinion, the better entertainment. Hal has O night life and their shows are good. RCCL's shows are superb. Both are very clean and polished. You will find RCCL's gym top notch. Hal's gym is smaller but never crowed.

Hi,

I've only cruised once before and have an opportunity to go for 4nights to Mexican Riviera on either Monarch of the Seas or Carnival Paradise. Both prices are similar but Monarch is slightly more.

I was on the Zaandam to Alaska about 4 years ago and enjoyed it. This trip will be myself and girlfriend and we are both in our late 30's. We like good food, entertainment, a little upscale surroundings (not too much though, not too cheesy either), fun activities, nice/clean/polished public areas, and a good gym to workout in.

Any information would be great, especially from those who've travelled both Monarch and Paradise. Thanks!

I have traveled on Monarch more times than I can count, and my DW said she would not be caught dead on a Carnival ship...lol. Guess we are Monarch loyalists. Lots of things for the adult crowd to do. Paradise does not stop in San Diego on their 4 day itinerary (sea day)....Monarch has a port call each day. I know the cabins on Paradise are larger. Monarch is an older ship, but well maintained and has a wonderful crew. Cabins are VERY small, but work well for what we do. I have seen people discuss Paradise in this forum (as a substitute for Monarch when it leaves us next month), and they seem to indicate it is a good ship as well.

I just looked up both the cruises, and Monarch is less $$ as of this moment.

Dave

My DW got off of the Monarch on a cruise that was a major Cruise Critic cruise with great posters like Merion_Mom and others.......and with a group of girls............one day later got on the Paradise for a 3 day "girls" cruise.

On the Monarch we had the RS, the largest suite on the Monarch...........which is about 670 square feet, and on the Paradise my DW had a category 12 suite.......the largest that the Paradise offers.......at something around 300 square feet. Most don't travel this way........but the Monarch's suites are nicer than CCL's.

The food, according to my DW.......was superior on the Paradise to the Monarch. She said there was a better selection......and the taste was good to excellent on the Paradise..........and OK to good on the Monarch.

The ships themselves.........although the Monarch is older.....it is not glitzy.........with neon tubes running like something out of Las Vegas. Her vote for the ship was the Monarch.

The party crowd. There is a definite difference between a 3 night weekend cruise..........and the 4 nights weekday cruise. Both ships have a party atmosphere on the weekend trip. The party seemed a bit rowdier on the Paradise.........as she has also been on the Monarch for a 3 night weekend cruise.

Both are fun cruises..........the Monarch is a little more sane....she says.

If given her choice..........she says she would pick the Monarch over the Paradise! :)

Hope this helps!! :) ;)

Rick

You really can't compare a newer ship with two older ones and think they're representative of the cruiselines.

That being said, I've sailed on both ships, and if you are getting a suite; take the Monarch. They will treat you well: no perks for Paradise except VIP check-in (which you'll also get on the Monarch).

If you're going for a cheap cabin , pick the Paradise because the cabins (and bathrooms) really are significantly larger than the Monarch.

Look at me: 7 Monarch cruises and only 1 Paradise cruise. I have some booked only because the Monarch will be gone. My preference is obvious, but I've sailed in at least a Jr Suite for all but 1 of those cruises.

I sailed on the Paradise in 2006. Four moms and four teen daughters. I will say one thing about Carnival, their dining room food is good. We liked the entertainment and typical stuff you see on a ship. I didn't care for their atrium, though. Too tall and dark. Kind of closed-in. But it was a fine ship for a 4 day sailing. My favorite cruise line so far is Princess. I'll see how I like RCI after our Mariner cruise next April. Can't wait!

I have traveled on Monarch more times than I can count, and my DW said she would not be caught dead on a Carnival ship...lol. Guess we are Monarch loyalists. Lots of things for the adult crowd to do. Paradise does not stop in San Diego on their 4 day itinerary (sea day)....Monarch has a port call each day. I know the cabins on Paradise are larger. Monarch is an older ship, but well maintained and has a wonderful crew. Cabins are VERY small, but work well for what we do. I have seen people discuss Paradise in this forum (as a substitute for Monarch when it leaves us next month), and they seem to indicate it is a good ship as well.

I just looked up both the cruises, and Monarch is less $$ as of this moment.

Dave

Archived