Sail and Sign Money Question

Kerry78

I have a question. We have always either paid with cash OR paid with credit. This time because it is a 9 day cruise, it says we need to put down 350 pp pd. One of these people being my 5 yr old son. Last yr it was only 200 pp pd because it was a 7 day cruise. We put down cash and just about spent that amount (600) on the cruise. I really would rather not put down over 1000, when I know I wont spend that much. What I would like to do, is put down my credit card, but then the night before last, head down to the purser's desk and pay the bill with cash.

Do you think it will pose a problem?? Has anyone done this? I know there will probably still be a hold on the credit card throughout the cruise and that is fine because we have a high limit. I just dont want to be charged even though I paid cash at the end and this cause more aggravation.....

THANKS!!!

People do it all the time.

The credit card is just to ensure that Carnival get's paid at the end of the trip. They will place an "Authorization" of $1050 on you credit card when you first board... which is just a "Hold" or placeholder for that amount.

However, If you have a credit card without a balance, I would just use it... let Carnival charge the S&S account to it, and write a check for the amount owed to the credit card company first thing when you get home.

Then you don't have the risk of traveling with all that cash... don't have to wait in the Purser line (can be huge on last day of cruise)... and the end result is the same.

Best of luck. :)

DH and I did the same thing, put up a credit card (one that was never used) and on the 6th day, when purchasing an item onboard, we were asked to go to the pursure's desk. They had a problem with the card swipe when we boarded and all we did was pay cash. No problem at all.

Some folks purchase Carnival Fun Dollars in advance (their way of saving and putting aside money for their cruise), and then go to the purser's desk on the first day, and trade in those dollars for credit on their S&S account.

You can purchase fun dollars on the Carnival Web site... from Bon Voyage I believe.

You don't have to put the amount they suggest. It's just that, a suggestion. We put way less than they suggested and when it was getting a little low we just added more cash. This was the first time we used cash and will never do it any other way now so we don't have to deal with all the credit card holds. They do put that hold on your credit card so if you plan to use it in port just make sure you have enough on it after the hold to make your purchases.

Archived