OBC after full payment and free upgrade??

I have not personally had this situation arise for me in the past but here is my scenario. My next cruise (10/25) I booked a 4A gty (military pricing) as was assigned a cabin yesterday. I noticed after my cabin assignment that 4A category was now getting free upgrades up to 4E (veranda) so I called my TA and got my assignment switched for free. Today the 4A category was now getting free upgrades to 4F (Lido) so I called again and got that switched for free. My question is if the price goes down from what I paid AND at that time if they are still offering 4A with free upgrades to 4F (military pricing) can I get OBC for the difference since I am already paid in full? I understand that in most cases the price would have to drop in the category I am booked in (in this case now 4F) but if they are offering 4A to 4F upgrades for free with a lower price than I paid am I eligible for OBC (less any fuel surcharge increase beyond what I paid). I have heard in the past someone say I would have to give up my 4F cabin and go back to a $A gty. but in this scenario I don't see why. Anyone out there with a similar prior experience?

Since you're comparing "apples to apples" in this case, normally you'd be eligible for a 'price adjustment' and would probably easily get a downward adjustment in your balance due if you were'nt fully paid. Lately, it seems that Carnival has a 'problem" with OBC after you're fully paid and most PVP's seem to defer to a Supervisor who may or may not go along with it. Yours is a straightforward case, so it can't hurt to try!!!! I'm thinking it's best to wait to the due date to pay-off to take best advantage of upgrades and price drops!!! ken

Since you're comparing "apples to apples" in this case, normally you'd be eligible for a 'price adjustment' and would probably easily get a downward adjustment in your balance due if you were'nt fully paid. Lately, it seems that Carnival has a 'problem" with OBC after you're fully paid and most PVP's seem to defer to a Supervisor who may or may not go along with it. Yours is a straightforward case, so it can't hurt to try!!!! I'm thinking it's best to wait to the due date to pay-off to take best advantage of upgrades and price drops!!! ken

Yeah I did wait till final paydate for the balance but in my case all the upgrades happened after the final payment date so I am in the OBC mode now for any price drops.

At the time I booked our cruise ..... they were offering upgrades from 4A Riviera Deck to Lido Deck or Panorama Deck (sorry I don't know their category). BUT...when I booked ...my PVP said I could either get the military rate OR the upgrade but not both. So I paid $200 less then our friends... but they are in a higher cabin because of upgrades while we are on the Riviera deck....

My question is : can I get a deck upgrade later on ? How do I watch for sales ?

Thanks

Jen

At the time I booked our cruise ..... they were offering upgrades from 4A Riviera Deck to Lido Deck or Panorama Deck (sorry I don't know their category). BUT...when I booked ...my PVP said I could either get the military rate OR the upgrade but not both. So I paid $200 less then our friends... but they are in a higher cabin because of upgrades while we are on the Riviera deck....

My question is : can I get a deck upgrade later on ? How do I watch for sales ?

Thanks

Jen

That was exactly my situation (see above post). I booked a 4A (military pricing) and at the time there were not upgrades. Now a few months later the price is the same I paid for but now they were offering upgrades. So I called my TA who called carnival and got me the upgrade for free. They could of charged me an extra $2 PP per day for the increased fuel surchage but they waived that as well. Not all cruises that have military pricing give free upgrades and I doubt you will see anything till next summer if at all. But if they do, call whoever you booked with right away. I can't tell you the website I use to check military pricing (against this boards rules and) but if you google military cruise pricing you can find a site or 2 to check.

Thanks....I booked directly through Carnival who told me choose one or the other.....

Sorry I said start checking next summer as I thought your sailing was 2010. Since it is 3/09 I would start checking daily and be ready to call right away as upgrades call disappear often the same day as cabins are booked. I just checked for you now and no upgrades currently.

Thanks....do I check Carnival directly ? Can you tell I am a newbie...:o

You can call carnival and ask but that would get real old doing that and their website does NOT give military pricing. Do an internet search for military cruise pricing and find a website that gives you military pricing so you can check daily for price drops. Bookmark the site in your favorites and check often.

I have not personally had this situation arise for me in the past but here is my scenario. My next cruise (10/25) I booked a 4A gty (military pricing) as was assigned a cabin yesterday. I noticed after my cabin assignment that 4A category was now getting free upgrades up to 4E (veranda) so I called my TA and got my assignment switched for free. Today the 4A category was now getting free upgrades to 4F (Lido) so I called again and got that switched for free. My question is if the price goes down from what I paid AND at that time if they are still offering 4A with free upgrades to 4F (military pricing) can I get OBC for the difference since I am already paid in full? I understand that in most cases the price would have to drop in the category I am booked in (in this case now 4F) but if they are offering 4A to 4F upgrades for free with a lower price than I paid am I eligible for OBC (less any fuel surcharge increase beyond what I paid). I have heard in the past someone say I would have to give up my 4F cabin and go back to a $A gty. but in this scenario I don't see why. Anyone out there with a similar prior experience?

DW and I are just back from a cruise on the Paradise. We booked a past guest special 2 catagory upgrade. We paid in full at the time of booking then about 10 days prior to the cruise prices dropped. I called my TA and got a $100.00 OBC. I say go for it the worst they can do is say no.

Archived