Ciudad del Este-UPDATE

greatam

Someone asked about going to the market in Ciudad del Este. I posted that I had been there once, saw lots of guns and drugs for sale as well as lots of scary characters. Here is an excerpt from an article which SPECIFICALLY mentions Cuidad del Este. STAY AWAY. It was spooky when I went-it certainly looks like it is more spooky now.

"The suspected Hezbollah activity is centered largely in the tri-border region, particularly Ciudad del Este in Paraguay, a focal point of Islamic fundamentalism to include the Sunni Hamas and Shiite Hezbollah."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=74344

Greatam--

This is not in response to your post exactly -- I just wanted to say that in the several weeks since I discovered this forum I have been helped immensely by your willingness to help novice travelers and your wealth of knowledge.

My 84 year old mother and I decided that if we ever were going to get around the Horn NOW would be a good time! And thanks to you I declined Cruise/Air and have saved almost 2 Grand on airfare (of course, it's still more expensive than the cruise...), am going out of a convenient airport AND am not spending 28+ hours to accomplish a 15/17 hour trip!

Thanks so VERY MUCH!!!

(To everyone else--I appologize for posting off topic)

Archived