Pacific Dawn Bistro ?

The Dining Room on P/D is perfectly clear but I'm not quite sure of the format for the bistro - Cafe del Sol, in the evening. Comments vary. Some insist that it's a bistro, not a buffet, yet others refer to it as a buffet. Most refer to it being "self serve". So what I am hoping for is a "blow by blow" description of the format of the bistro. Is it like what used to be known in Victoria years ago as a "counter tea"? Do people line up for the main course and then self serve salad and/or vegetables? What about deserts and entrees - self serve or not? How many deserts can be selected - only one or as many as can be eaten?

I asked someone I know about how the bistro "works" and he told me the food was on a plate. I pushed him for more info and he recalled that he was sitting at a table. Ccers please give me details.

Thanks, Debbie.

Hi Debbie.

Cafe del sol is a line up buffet for all meals..you line up disinfect hands

from pump bottle..pick up a plate and cutelry..then follow the queue to

select food..salads, cold dishes, hot dishes,also soups & desserts..you can go back as many times as you like..little hint, try and have a table

before you line up as it can be very frustrating walking around with a

plate of food trying to find a table.

hope this helps.

The night buffet at Cafe De Sol has the same food that is served in the dining room as well as a selection of salads, cold meats and a hot carvery.

The deserts in the buffet are normally small portion cakes, or a slice of normally a really rich looking gateau, jellies or mouse whereas I think the dining room offers 'nicer' deserts.

There's also a small bar area set up near the coffee and water machine if you want to buy soft drinks or beer. (Can't remember if they served wine)

We only ate in the Cafe De Sol for breakfast, lunch and dinner apart from 1 formal night so our family are experts in what's served in the buffet.

They also have a large range of bread rolls, crackers and cheese portions, apples, bananas, oranges, as well as sliced melon and dried fruits. The rolls are yummy. Next time I'm gonna do what Chez did on her 'extended vacation', take cheese and crackers at lunchtime, put cheese in fridge in cabin, then have cheese, crackers and wine on the deck with a few drinks before dinner. How neat does that sound!!

Jenny

we called it 'the cattle yard'.

It is very much a buffet. Some days were good, others were awful.

If you arrive late, make sure you go to the right hand side...the left hand side seemed to close off early.

I think we only had one dinner up there. We had a few lunches there and most breakfasts.

The rolls are fresh baked on board, and were great! there was always cheese, salami, different salads, usually a soup. Often they had a curry, some sort of carvery, fresh fruits and desserts.

I liked how they made the toast for you, so you didn't have to line up behind others feeding their own bread in the toaster.

Scrambled eggs at breakfast had no taste, but the fried eggs, bacon, tomatoes etc were all pretty good.

We also liked the fresh croissants.

Archived